The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Got new DD shoes for the Boss.
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport in 275/40/18 from Discount Tire Direct.
I'll powder-coat my silver Enkei's to satin black, and make them street wheels. Stockers will hibernate in the pony coral attic.

2015-05-22_16-47-24_612_zpswrzhfhdy.jpg

Out for a ride yesterday with my daughter and the engine light came. Took it to the dealer today, and it was a mis-fire in cylinder 3. All parts checked out good. They said they undated the computer and should be fine. Drove it tonight again with my daughter and all seems good.

Black Boss said:
Got the car ready for Mid Ohio on Monday. Changed the Front Pads, swapped out the Rear Rotors, replaced the Tranny Fluid, Bled the brakes and installed the Airaid CAI:

IMG_1087_zpsiplskw8n.jpg

IMG_1089_zpsiipdpi14.jpg

IMG_1091_zpsuaqrdkzo.jpg
Nick who made the shield over the filter?

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

NFSBOSS said:
Nick who made the shield over the filter?

Rick,

Airaid. It's a retrofit for louvered hoods, to prevent rain getting in the filter. Call them and provide proof of purchase and they send it at no cost :)

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

Checked my Peterson breather can to find no oil in the can but a hint of it on the foam insert. Have run only about 500 miles since I installed it. Checked all the other fluids as well as I prepare the car for my first track day on June 7th. Anyone out there have a good base checklist they use for track day?

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york

Grant 302 said:
Dropped off her slicks at storage:
18039915676_bb03df97d2_z.jpg
17443811774_7a372f18bb_z.jpg

Gave her a bath:
18064113665_666c1fbc7e_z.jpg

I'm gonna try that way on Sun. Before I installed the
harness bar I put all 4 straight across and wedge chocks
under them, visibility wasn't 100% but it was ok.
Now I put 2 back there and 2 in the trunk.I Gotta get a truck!

TymeSlayer said:
Checked my Peterson breather can to find no oil in the can but a hint of it on the foam insert. Have run only about 500 miles since I installed it. Checked all the other fluids as well as I prepare the car for my first track day on June 7th. Anyone out there have a good base checklist they use for track day?
I have almost 10,000 miles on mine and there's barely any oil in it.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Cobrarob said:
I'm gonna try that way on Sun. Before I installed the
harness bar I put all 4 straight across and wedge chocks
under them, visibility wasn't 100% but it was ok.
Now I put 2 back there and 2 in the trunk.I Gotta get a truck!

Cool. Post pics! And just to clarify, there all 305 Pirelli DH scrubs, on the bottom layer are a 645 and 680, with a 680 on top and a 645 behind the passenger seat.

NFSBOSS said:
I have almost 10,000 miles on mine and there's barely any oil in it.

I do believe thats because there is no vaccumm going to the peterson can. All others have the catch can cut into the vaccumm line.
Thats my theroy.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

superhero said:
I do believe thats because there is no vaccumm going to the peterson can. All others have the catch can cut into the vaccumm line.
Thats my theroy.

Your theory is correct as vacuum is produced behind the throttle body, (throttle plate), and in the intake side of the engine. High vacuum is found at idle and peeks or spikes during the moment you come off throttle after a WOT event.

The PCV valve is just a check ball that creates a one way valve (so to speak), which is located on the valve and coil covers on the passenger side of engine. The system works by drawing in air from the drivers side intake tube, thought that side valve and coil covers, through the crankcase, through the PCV valve and in to the intake manifold fitting located on the passenger side behind the throttle body.

This is also why one will not find oil in a catch can located on the driver side. Any oil that would accumulate in the Peterson CVC, (crankcase ventilation can), or a driver side installed catch can, would be "pushed" there from excessive engine crankcase pressure. Not a good thing as a cause of this might be excessive cylinder/piston blow-by from worn rings, etc.

Hope this helps,
Dave
302 Hi Pro.

drano38

Wayne

Took the driver's front caliper off and replaced the boots and seals. Only one boot actually came out in one piece, so I guess I got my money's worth out of them.
The thread on how to do it, and parts from KNS Brakes made it a pretty straight forward project.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

Fixed that pesky mess on the stripe on the passenger side in front of the rear wheel. I need more practice but it looks better that the original which somehow got grit beneath it.

Before
2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%20944_zpsetv6zarz.png

After
2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%20949_zpsrgviehv6.jpg

TymeSlayer said:
Fixed that pesky mess on the stripe on the passenger side in front of the rear wheel. I need more practice but it looks better that the original which somehow got grit beneath it.

Before
2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%20944_zpsetv6zarz.png

After
2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%20949_zpsrgviehv6.jpg

It looks like you replaced the factory stripe.
The stripes gaps look different at where they end on the car.
Never understood why the factory stripes end and start where they do, leaving that 1/4" or so.
O-well.....Nice job!! ;)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

TymeSlayer said:

Before

After

Nice work. But I'm wondering why you didn't make this a repair under warranty.

TMO Supporting Vendors