The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

I got mine direct from Shelby but its same price so try here if you have any discount codes plus shipping is free

http://www.americanmuscle.com/shelby-isoclutch-reservoir-1014.html

Not sure it will make any difference with brake performance.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

Not sure it will make any difference with brake performance.
[/quote]
I have the same reservoir an d have the same reservations concerning brake performance.

Mu concern was the amount of fluid in the clutch system which would have to be purged when changing brake fluids. With the separate systems I no longer have to remove fluids from the reservoir and pupm the clutch hoping to remove all the older fluids. Now I simple remove fluid from the reservoir and cycle clean fluid to the calipers. At $30 to $60 a liter the reservoir eventually pays for itself in fluid and time saved.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Yes, I find the maintenance is much easier too. I cobbled together a DIY kit that works great, but it not as pretty as this new Shelby kit. In fact I think my clutch fluid reservoir is from a Camaro application.

Brake fluid stays clean now too.

302 Hi Pro

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

Silver LS said:
How did you plug the line from the brake reservoir?

The kit comes with a rubber tapered plug and cap. Plug in first, cap goes over that and I used a cable tie to make sure none of that will be coming off.

A more permanent, and secure, fix is to replace your reservoir with a reservoir from an automatic mustang. This will eliminate the clutch nipple. Both should be easy to do.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

F.D. Sako said:
A more permanent, and secure, fix is to replace your reservoir with a reservoir from an automatic mustang. This will eliminate the clutch nipple. Both should be easy to do.

Exactly, I was fortunate to purchase an automatic Trans reservoir from a member here. I'll install it when I replace my pads and flush the system.

302 HP

F.D. Sako said:

You can but its not really needed, the plug and cap with a zip tie works fine. There is no pressure in the reservoir itself.

went for a little drive tonight...which I do most nights if I haven't used the Boss as a dd that day (Fusion Energi other times). Sort of a nostalgia drive, in a sense, as my GT350R landed in the local railyard today and I'll be picking it up in the next couple days...which spells the end for the Boss. (I actually won't sell the Boss until my Focus RS shows up - or there's a really good offer for a nicely-done car)
But, of note, I was about 16 miles shy of 30k so I drove it until the odometer ticked over...which felt kind of appropriate. I rolled into my driveway on 30,000.0 but it ticked over to 30,000.1 before it got to the garage (and I have a VERY short driveway) to take a picture of the 30,000.0...so that may say something about the irreverent nature of the Boss...and given that there's only one spot in my garage, I have a feeling that the Boss may not go quietly...which is perfect. More to come on this saga.

Bay Area

fuhrius said:
went for a little drive tonight...which I do most nights if I haven't used the Boss as a dd that day (Fusion Energi other times). Sort of a nostalgia drive, in a sense, as my GT350R landed in the local railyard today and I'll be picking it up in the next couple days...which spells the end for the Boss. (I actually won't sell the Boss until my Focus RS shows up - or there's a really good offer for a nicely-done car)
But, of note, I was about 16 miles shy of 30k so I drove it until the odometer ticked over...which felt kind of appropriate. I rolled into my driveway on 30,000.00 but it ticked over to 30,000.1 before it got to the garage (and I have a VERY short driveway)...so that may say something about the irreverent nature of the Boss...and given that there's only one spot in my garage, I have a feeling that Boss may not go quietly...which is perfect.

THUMBS UP TO YOU :)

BigTaco said:
Dropped of my Boss at Cortex for some big brakes n' stuff....
Nice, tell us more!

The brakes are the Ford Racing 15" 6 piston kit with the 2 piece rotor upgrade. Included in the install will be Hawk HPS pads, prototype goodridge brake lines, Ford Racing stainless clutch line, Brembo 600 brake fluid, Ford Racing tubular bumper/tow hook, and a Watson Racing radiator enclosure designed to work with the FR bumper and 2013 body work. FR front hubs and rear wheel studs are also going on and the diff fluid will be replaced with Driven Racing oil 75W-140. That's all for now 8).

Everything sounds great, except the pads stand out.

What made you decide to go with HPS?
In my experience with HPS (on a slower and lighter car), they are not enough for advanced drivers. Once they exceed their operating temp, they'll harden and ruin your 2 piece rotors. Unless these are your street pads, then nvm :p

Yes, these are definitely street pads. I wanted something more aggressive than stock but fully streets able. Once my track activities begin, I will be running different pads probably Raybestos ST43.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA

Installed a 15% discounted (holiday special) BMR Watt's link. Fantastic product - build and finish are top notch.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york

Dig-It said:
Installed a 15% discounted (holiday special) BMR Watt's link. Fantastic product - build and finish are top notch.

Nice, I went with the Fays(almost same install procedure), your gonna love it!
It makes a big difference back there.

BigTaco said:
The brakes are the Ford Racing 15" 6 piston kit with the 2 piece rotor upgrade. Included in the install will be Hawk HPS pads, prototype goodridge brake lines, Ford Racing stainless clutch line, Brembo 600 brake fluid, Ford Racing tubular bumper/tow hook, and a Watson Racing radiator enclosure designed to work with the FR bumper and 2013 body work. FR front hubs and rear wheel studs are also going on and the diff fluid will be replaced with Driven Racing oil 75W-140. That's all for now 8).

Got my car back from Cortex on Friday; everything looks great. Looks like OEM.......

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel