The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Since I'm an old retired Fox body guy you will have to bear with me as i catch up with 21st century Mustangs by read all these posts. Should keep me busy reading until New Years.

So today I caught up with the thread on cooling and with that drilled out all the faux fog light opening holes. To clean up any plastic flakes in the holes I just ran a bronze barrel brush and that worked perfectly.
No doubt it will allow more air, certainly looks much better and cheaper than buying the S grill.

k98dave said:
Since I'm an old retired Fox body guy you will have to bear with me as i catch up with 21st century Mustangs by read all these posts. Should keep me busy reading until New Years.

So today I caught up with the thread on cooling and with that drilled out all the faux fog light opening holes. To clean up any plastic flakes in the holes I just ran a bronze barrel brush and that worked perfectly.
No doubt it will allow more air, certainly looks much better and cheaper than buying the S grill.
Drilling holes in the stock grill does help with cooling but it's better to have as many race car parts on your car as possible. ;)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

Dave

Rick is simply trying to justify why we spend so much on our cars.

I personally find it better to just admit that logic is Not part of the equation and I am happy with my "Place". LOL. ;D

Both Rick and I were fortunate enough to find Cobra Jet grills of our rides. Same grill used on the track attack cars. If you can find one of these, you can keep the stock look and increase airflow. Swap from one Ford grill to another takes a few minutes.

Merry Christmas to All!!

"Drilling holes in the stock grill does help with cooling but it's better to have as many race car parts on your car as possible."

I know its always fun to buy goodies, but I figured I would spend $3.50 for the right size drill bit and then use the rest of what I would have spent for another grill on some brake cooling ducts,which I think is a better investment. ;)

Merry Christmas to everybody hope you all find some goodies for your Boss's under the tree. :)

I used a 5/16th drill when I did mine. Came out good! Used a black magic marker to touch up spots left after drilling. First hole is the toughest... ;).the rest are easy. No regrets.....MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYBODY!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Installed a new intake tube, new hi-flow drop in air filter and a FRPP 84.5MM TB

20151227_192221_zpsmfegri2v.jpg

Then removed all of my VCT solenoid connectors, cleaned the pins, applied dielectric grease and reinstalled the connectors. I noticed a white chalky power on some of the solenoid pins, PITA to clean, but worked well.

A good day with the Boss,
Regards,
302 Hi Pro

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

302 Hi Pro said:
Installed a new intake tube, new hi-flow drop in air filter and a FRPP 84.5MM TB

20151227_192221_zpsmfegri2v.jpg

Then removed all of my VCT solenoid connectors, cleaned the pins, applied dielectric grease and reinstalled the connectors. I noticed a white chalky power on some of the solenoid pins, PITA to clean, but worked well.

A good day with the Boss,
Regards,
302 Hi Pro
How did you clean the connectors? Contact cleaner???

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

Baking soda water solution, q-tips, exacto set tweezers and bits of cotton ball.

I packed the bottom of the plug with bits of cotton to absorb any solution, cleaned the contacts with solution and q-tips, used the tweezers to pack and remove the cotton bits.

Then used compresses air, to blow out. (Note: Have water separator on compressor), reinspected and used q-tips again to ensure all connectors were dry and clean.

Last, applied a daub of Super Lub grease to wiring harness end of connection and installed connectors. That should keep out any moisture which I suspect was the reason for the fromunda build up.

Just happy I have the larger connectors used on the 13's.
Regards,
302 Hi Pro.

PS: Inspected headers, after nearly 3,000 miles and 6 months of operation. The Silver Ceramic Coating by AirBorn Coatings, NC is holding up very well, even at the 90 degree primary pipe bends.

20151227_115649_zps7vfcduwf.jpg

302 Hi Pro said:
Baking soda water solution, q-tips, exacto set tweezers and bits of cotton ball.

I packed the bottom of the plug with bits of cotton to absorb any solution, cleaned the contacts with solution and q-tips, used the tweezers to pack and remove the cotton bits.

Then used compresses air, to blow out. (Note: Have water separator on compressor), reinspected and used q-tips again to ensure all connectors were dry and clean.

Last, applied a daub of Super Lub grease to wiring harness end of connection and installed connectors. That should keep out any moisture which I suspect was the reason for the fromunda build up.

Just happy I have the larger connectors used on the 13's.
Regards,
302 Hi Pro.

PS: Inspected headers, after nearly 3,000 miles and 6 months of operation. The Silver Ceramic Coating by AirBorn Coatings, NC is holding up very well, even at the 90 degree primary pipe bends.

Do you think the Oxidation was from power washing. I read that you power wash your engine bay.
At least you caught it before there was problem.

Dave-
Those headers look amazing. Better than new ones that aren't coated!

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

superhero said:
Do you think the Oxidation was from power washing. I read that you power wash your engine bay.
At least you caught it before there was problem.

Yes! It was the first thought that crossed my mind. No more!

But it's a very clean engine bay for a car with 21,800 miles, maybe a little too clean, but I can keep her clean without power washing.

I agree, I caught it before it got to the point of causing poor connections and throwing CEL's. Pulled some VCT connectors to help, (I should say, tried to help), another member here with concerns about the orientation of these connectors. Looks like I was the beneficiary of an attempted good deed, amazing how that works, is it not?

Look forward to meeting you at a NJMP Track Event in 2016.

All the best to you SuperHero,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

Berol said:
Dave-
Those headers look amazing. Better than new ones that aren't coated!

Berol, Thank you for the kind words,

All the Best,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

@302 Hi Pro : Did you have to dimple the headers, shorten exhaust studs, or clearance anything on the car during your install of the Kooks system? I'm getting ready to tackle mine this weekend...

Yesterday was a busy day for the Boss, I took the rear Watts link apart to change the diff fluid, and installed the 2013 diff cover with the removable plugs so I can now drain and fill without taking the cover off or Watts apart. Thanks @Tucson302 !

Also while the cover gasket-maker was setting up I changed out the spark plugs.

I had been very lazy about this in 2015 and ran the whole season on the original set from my fresh motor build a year ago (Dec 2014). To my pleasant surprise, all the plugs looked GREAT including the #8 and the ones on the passenger side where the stock header cracked).

Left to Right: 4-3-2-1 (Passenger Bank):

CrGcfXW.png

Left to Right: 5-6-7-8 (Driver Bank):
xpT8B9P.jpg

Looking good for the combination of @Shaun@AED 's tuning and Sunoco 100 octane fuel!

Arizona that engine is right where it should be tuneing wise. Those plugs look nice and clean.
just by looking at those plugs you can tell that motor is running strong and clean.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

@302 Hi Pro : Did you have to dimple the headers, shorten exhaust studs, or clearance anything on the car during your install of the Kooks system? I'm getting ready to tackle mine this weekend...

ArizonaBoss:

No, there were no additional modifications required to the Kooks Header Set, dimple, etc. They actually fit very well. However, you will have to remove the OEM studs as they will not work with the new primary tube bends along the bottom row. Kooks does supply 2 sets of very high quality washers & bolts, as seen in the photo they show no signs of rust.

You'll find they supply both course and fine thread bolt sets to accommodate the running production change in the cylinder head threaded holes for the exhaust manifold studs. I thought about using special locking bolt sets, but you'll see that Kooks uses a unique "slot" for the header flange to cylinder head bolts, so I opted to use their hardware, and so far so good as no exhaust leaks in the 3,000 miles driven after the install. I suspect if it was going to leak, it would have done it by now.

Next, you'll find that Kooks also supplies an excellent set of header flange gaskets, as they are a 6 ply design. Some might insist on new OEM gaskets, (they are 3 plus), but the Kooks gaskets crush exceptionally well to seal the exhaust ports.

Kooks also takes the time and effort to smooth bore the primary tube ID welds to the flange. There is no excess weld material on the inside diameter of the primary tubes. The OEM tri-y's have a lot of excess weld material at this location and the Kooks will provide a much smoother exhaust path flow.

I used the Shorties, so you will not have to worry about seized Cat to Collector bolts/nuts. The upper right side bolt is known to be troublesome for those of us who maintain our OEM Catalytic Converters.

You will find having a set of metric 5 sided crows foot sockets very handy for accessing some header flange bolts. Note: They look very similar to pipe fitting wrenches used for fuel line fittings.

K-Member removal is a must, and I found the 2 hammer tap approach to work well for the steering end link ball joints vs the fork tool.

You have had your engine out for prior overhaul, so you know about other items like the delicate engine ground connector on the right side engine mount bracket.

For others, this is a great time for oil pan, steering rack, and engine mount/bracket replacements. I can't think of any other header associated items, you'll find it is a very clean install.

Good luck and I look forward to reading your update posts,
All the Best,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

TMSBOSS said:

Is that your vin etched into the side of the block??

Hi Tracy:

No, unfortunately not however, it does appear to be a coded date code as my engine block is dated 11/16/11 and Boss final assembly was third week of November 2011.

The top number appears to read 11316? Not sure of the Ford date code system.

Thanks though for your help on that.
Regards,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

ArizonaBOSS said:

Here's what I've used
http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/stage-8-locking-header-bolt-kits/make/ford/engine-size/5-0l-302/engine-type/v8

Make sure you have the correct the thread by removing one of the stud. The info you can find on the internet is not accurate. Ask me how I know.
It should be either M10x1.25 or M10x1.50.

Good luck for your installation

302 Hi Pro

Southeast

Swiss Boss said:
Here's what I've used
http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/stage-8-locking-header-bolt-kits/make/ford/engine-size/5-0l-302/engine-type/v8

Make sure you have the correct the thread by removing one of the stud. The info you can find on the internet is not accurate. Ask me how I know.
It should be either M10x1.25 or M10x1.50.

Good luck for your installation

Swiss Boss:

I like these fasteners, but I was not comfortable with how the small size of the bolt head mated up to the slot used by Kooks in their header flange. (The supplied washers and retaining clips fit over the head of the bolt once installed, and it just didn't seem to fit right with the slot.)

I do really like the product concept, but how did you find the fit with the header flange slot v. a header flange bolt hole found on non Kooks headers?

Thanks so much,
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors