The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decided to get the Boss ready for more serious track work by addressing its primary weaknesses and added safety margin, while maintaining some measure of streetability. With that in mind, dropped it off last week at a local race shop for the following:

Watson 4 pt roll bar & carpet kit
FRPP B302S spherical LCAs + FRPP LCA brackets
FRPP 22mm rear stab bar
Steeda spherical upper UCA diff bearing
Brake mods:
Brembo "Pro" series light alloy radial mount fr. race calipers
Brembo floating 14" rotors
PFC01 race pads
Vorshlag SS flex lines
Vorshlag 4" duct kit w/ FRPP 4" inlet ducts
Castrol SRF fluid
FRPP 3" wheel stud kit (ARP studs) + open lugs
Setrab 172 oil cooler, fittings, braided SS lines, Moroso filter block
Moroso 10qt alum oil pan
McLeod "Street Extreme" single disc clutch + lightened steel flywheel kit
Blowfish gen 2 front tow loop
Blowfish gen 2 shifter bracket
06 Mach's gen 2 harness mounts
Scroth Profi II HANS harness
Borla OA pipes
Watson Racing 4pt roll bar

Most excited about the brakes...basically a B302S or Grand AM race brake setup, which I expect will eliminate any and all potential braking issues (yes, at the expense of somewhat less streetability. Hey, can't have everything...). They're also super light...about 7 lbs for the caliper, 18 lbs for the rotor, or about 11 lbs less than the stock caliper/rotor combo. Big unsprung weight savings!

All work being performed by Bob and Curt at CARS in Omaha...great guys who do stellar work. Can't wait to get it back and get it on the track for some "driver mod" track time, see where/what these mods get me and go from there.

Wow I'd say you're getting more serious. I look forward to what you think of it after it's all done.

drano38

Wayne
dabossinne,
Sweet!
That will help you tear up the track. ;D
For a hans devise, I think there's a couple places in Omaha that sell various choices, but I went to Speedway Motors in Lincoln last summer and decided on a Simpson hybrid. With stock seats, it was less in the way than the HANS with the big duckbill. I tried a couple other brands they carry, and didn't like them. They're all good--just which one works best for our seat/neck/body/helmet.

drano38 said:
dabossinne,
Sweet!
That will help you tear up the track. ;D
For a hans devise, I think there's a couple places in Omaha that sell various choices, but I went to Speedway Motors in Lincoln last summer and decided on a Simpson hybrid. With stock seats, it was less in the way than the HANS with the big duckbill. I tried a couple other brands they carry, and didn't like them. They're all good--just which one works best for our seat/neck/body/helmet.

Thanks Wayne. Yes, Speedway Motors in Lincoln is a quality operation.

Actually, I purchased a used, or rather, previously owned, Hans device off another forum. It came with all the hardware, restraint straps, etc. Have a SA2010 Hans compatible Bell Helmet, so good to go there. I'm also thinking of going with a racing seat with w/ head restraint as well for added protection.

On Sunday installed the oil cooler. I'll post more pics in one of the oil cooler threads. Removed the stock one and flushed out some of the coolant.

1387766521240158_1399499037961234582_n_zps7zwn66wo.jpg

1388056351211175_4545433840977645762_n_zpssi6gcdwo.jpg

1388078554542288_2388556763207292120_n_zpsxkqkl8oa.jpg

Then today got the car aligned, inspected, and almost ready for the track day on Saturday. Ran into an issue installing the rear axle breather. Almost done, I've blown my budget badly this year.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Extended Ball Joints and Bump Steer:

13051678_10154113976638535_3059810612914382196_n.jpg

Checked up on progress today...

IMG_7714_zpslpqry9e7.jpg [/URL][/img]
Coaxing in Moroso oil pan w/out dropping the K-member.

IMG_7713_zpskaj8gtz4.png [/URL][/img]
Now, that's a set of brakes!

IMG_7709_zps1taqq2y2.png [/URL]
My solution, which they perfectly executed, for mounting FRPP 4" brake duct inlets w/out riveting them to the bumper cover. Notice they had to "indent" the inlets (left side of inlet) to get them to clear the bumper beam.

IMG_7711_zpsoaqcqzem.png [/URL]
Nicely integrated.

drano38

Wayne
Changed rear diff and trans fluid today.
Motorcraft in the diff (and fiction modifier even though I don't need it) and Redline MTL for the trans.

I did notice a jamb nut on one of the Whiteline watts link arms had backed off. I always give suspension fasteners a good look every spring (as others have mentioned as well). But this is the first time I've found a loose one.

drano38

Wayne
A paid off Boss is a great thing. Congrats.

Today, I painted my track wheels with a rattle can--American Muscle 10th anniversary Cobras

Loaded the AED tune after installing Kooks LTs and off road H pipe, CJ manifold, SCJ Throttle body, and Ford Racing CAI. Now I need to break in my new exedy hyper single then get it on the dyno for some data logging.

Paid off the BOSS and got the title in the mail today. Life is good!

Oil change, rear diff oil change, installed Mike's jack plates and the 302R ABS module.

Tomorrow is new pads along with a brake fluid flush. Once the next Amazon delivery comes on Tuesday, I'll finish installing a Traqmate lap timer.

Getting closer to Sebring w/ Track Guys Memorial Day weekend!

TMO Supporting Vendors