The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Changed tranny and dif fluid. Track pads go on tomorrow for an event at NCCAR this weekend.
Looking for feedback on whether or not those with the torsen dif add friction modifier when they change fluid and why they choose to.

I contacted Torsen directly on that and they said it was not necessary. It won't hurt though and one of the reasons it's added is to quiet down the diff a bit. I never added the modifier to my diff when I changed fluids.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I first serviced my diff with MotorCraft 75w-140 synthetic rear axle lubricant with friction modifier, then with Royal Purple synthetic 75w-140 with modifiers added, then 100 miles later I added 4oz bottle of Ford Additive-Friction-Modifier, after another 500-750 miles, very quite. It does reduce noise whilst in 6th gear running 68-70 MPH.

In my experience,302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Watching Antenna TV GRIT channel, I dream of Jeannie while wax-on / wax-off.

Oh yes, using a new spray wax on the Boss. When to Costco last fall, and a Demo guy was doing his demo "schpeel", so I got it for the boat. Noticed this afternoon it's developed for clear coat finishes. Give it a shot?

Darn! That guy was right! And by far, it is an excellent product. But never heard of it before, made by someone for Green Auto Products Int., Inc. out of Florida and it's labeled as Ezdetailer in a yellow and black can.

Anyone use this stuff?
2HP

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Used the modifier before the Torsen install but did not bother after. Used the same Royal Purple as 302HP and same results. As I understood it, if you had the Torsen, XL-3 wasn't needed.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Finally put one of these on the FakeR:
s-l300.jpg

And a beautiful spring day to drive in SoCal! Both FakeR and Boss got to stretch their legs today.

Boss battery still holds 12.91V after a week of sitting. Last driven last Sunday. ~25% VP 101 for the Boss.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
Changed trans fluid with great results in shifting and overall feel of the transmission. Have to get a bigger impact to tackle the upper control arm bolt.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Replaced busted fittings on my cool shirt box and hose in anticipation for this month's event. Tried to rebuild the hydraulic cylinder on my floor jack but couldn't get the cylinder open. New floor jack on the way...

This week just need to put the car back down on the ground and set ride height with the updated front spring set, then install the "quiet" mufflers to the car.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Installed new anti squat brackets today...
...and scrapped a bucket full of sound deaden-er.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors