The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeah I thought about that and came to the conclusion that it likely won't be an issue for me in the short term because I can't see myself seriously tracking the car on much more than street tires for a while. If I manage to somehow be fast enough to start overheating brakes and if I wanted to keep that lower grille I'm not against taking a blade to the sides to open them up like the windows on the upper. Or change it out.

I'm sure if it ever gets to that point, I'll make some sort of move haha

@M91196 Cervini's

They seem to be made out of some pretty nice material, and the stainless powder coated black mesh is a nice touch. I just wish they would've done a hair more.

The upper had 3 locating tabs on top and on bottom that slide into the factory slots for alignment, but they don't secure the grille, you have to pull the bumper to fasten it from the inside using some pre existing spots in the factory opening, but everything lined up really well. I can't imagine why they would go through the hassle of getting those dimensions perfect and then not just mold-in self fastening tabs like the factory grille has. Would make install a lot easier, IMO. Although they're likely assuming you're pulling the bumper to get the factory fog lights out anyway? I don't know. I was able to get my factory lights out without cutting them out or pulling the bumper, but that's just me.

Other than the slight install gripes, once installed they look great and fit well.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Got the new Cooltech oil cooler installed yesterday.

Disconnected the battery as suggested, removed the radiator cover, the air box and then put the car up on four jack stands. Drained the oil and removed the filter. The directions which were somewhat vague, said to remove the front bumper but after looking things over, I decided to just remove the front upper grille and I could squeeze the heat exchanger in. It did work but it made bolting the radiator hold down screws a bit more difficult but not impossible.

I loosely mounted the brackets to the heat exchanger and after putting lithium grease on the seals, I installed the AN10 to Metric fittings:

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201778_zpswuujmmc6.jpg

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201780_zpsctr02jgw.jpg

I did the same to the fittings on the sandwich plate, taking care not to over tighten them:

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201790_zpsn82dtc17.jpg

I oiled up the seal and bolted on the sandwich plate loosely, figuring I would have to have some wiggle room for the hoses. I greases up the fitting for the hoses and mounted them to the heat exchanger and ran the hoses down between the radiator and condenser. You'll have to figure the best way to snake the hoses but I was careful not to put them near any sharp edges and where there might be heat concerns.

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201793_zpsfkkqvwxv.jpg

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201797_zpsqcx9hpxg.jpg

After figuring out the routing of the hoses, I tightened up the sandwich plate, and all the fittings. I threw a new oil filter back on, added 9-1/2 quarts of oil as the cooler requires an extra quart of oil. Checked for leaks, ran the car for about fifteen minutes and checked again for leaks. None. SWEET!

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201798_zpsg2xn61df.jpg

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201802_zpseu6hnya4.jpg

2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201785_zpsni3ffubh.jpg

All told it took me about four hours and amazingly enough only one cuss tirade. And although I know you can save several hundred dollars putting your own kit together, having the hoses and mounting plates ready to go was worth paying for in my case. Just never seem to have the tyme anymore.

Only one cuss tirade? I'm impressed. I would have guessed a 3-4 session. Nice work.

Thanks, the stock was alot easier to get and than I thought it would be. Thanks to the grille thread for having that info in it! For now am leaving it with no emblem in the grille.

Finally got my car back from the dealer for clutch warranty. Ford payed the tab for the labor. Ended up getting the Centerforce DYAD after talking with some folks in at Ford Performance. Also put the Ford Performance 12 quart oil pan while it was there.

Drove one! TMO member yopauly is selling his 2012 Boss 302 and put it back to stock. With 19,000 miles on it the car looks and drives like new. Driving it today, virtually stock with GT500 mufflers and FP lowering springs with the rest of the stock suspension took me back six years ago when mine was new. I was surprised how mild mannered the car felt and how easy it was to drive. Hit the fun pedal and it still feels strong as ever. So another one of our early members sells his car, what will he buy next?

IMG_1650.JPG

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Washed and used compressed air to dry the car. (Washed the underside too) Used my Porter Cable polisher with Hex Logic yellow cutting pad to use Adam's paint correction and hand wiped. Today I'll use the White polishing pad for Adam's finishing polish and my Ryobi buffer. I'll wax her with Mother's high gloss polymer wax since I have some from my only other wax job a few years ago. The stuff held out pretty darn nicely for almost two and a half years.

Two days to detail the car. I think I better find tyme for the family on the Fourth of July!

Last edited:

drano38

Wayne
The Boss sat patiently in the stable while the '10 GT in the next bay got some TLC. Washed, clayed, and finished with a coat of Menzerna Power Lock sealant.
Was amazed how much dirt the clay pulled off the hood, roof, and truck lid. But its been a few years since I ran clay over it.

DEye

You can't get there from here...
Thanks, the stock was alot easier to get and than I thought it would be. Thanks to the grille thread for having that info in it! For now am leaving it with no emblem in the grille.

It looks fine without the emblem, nice & clean !
If they don't know what it is without the emblem, it won't help having it there ;)

drano38

Wayne
Inspected suspension hardware, and bolted on the Bridgestone RE-71R for next weekend. Friday I'll be at Raceway Park of the Midlands for Fast Friday open lapping, then to Motorsport Park Hastings for the weekend with Great Plains PCA.
Yesterday had Hankook R-S4 285/35/18 mounted up, so I'll give them a try too.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel