The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Thanks Drew. I loaded up on inner and outer tie rods, a spare alternator kit with belts, axle and ring and pinion bearings as well as wheel studs. Have plenty of fluids but hope NAPA has the annual sale on Mobile 1 5W-50 soon. March I think?

Today I did a few practice sessions at Driveway Austin’s L1 and L2 course. After getting flagged to come into the pits for white smoke coming from the rear of my car, I feared the worst, despite having no change in power... Turns out - I blew my right rear axle seal and diff fluid was pouring out into my hot rear brake causing the white smoke. These courses are both really hard on the car’s right side with a lot of hard left turns. Has anyone experienced this? I have a 2014 Track Pack Mustang GT with about 24k miles on it and 10 or so track days on it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Yes. I lost a right rear axel seal at Road America. Lost a second at Hastings.

Always god to carry spares.

I don't have a full compliment of spare parts but I do keep axle and ring and pinion bearings, alternator and belts, brake pads and rotors, wheel lugs and studs, ties rods as well as fluids, plugs and filters.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
My limitations are completely screwed up when I don't have friends like you and Tyme around to assist me. Going to miss not having you run in the Midwest ,ha, ha. All the best to you down South and look forward to some Videos of you running Barber, Nola, and Road Atlanta!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The cause is simply heat. The rear brakes do less work than the front so almost no one adds cooling ducts to the rear. So the heat from the rear brakes cooks the rear seals.
Add seals to your list of service items. When you change the gear lube before a season, change the seals also. Or at least every other year. YMMV.

I have lost two seals in seven seasons.

Last edited:
The cause is simply heat. The rear brakes do less work than the front so almost no one adds cooling ducts to the rear. So the heat from the rear brakes cooks the rear seals.
Add seals to your list of service items. When you change the gear lube befor a season, change the seals also. Or at least every other year. YMMV.

I have lost two seals in seven seasons.

Thanks TMS, excellent advice and the heat makes perfect sense. I guess I had underestimated the amount of stress placed on the rear end due simply to heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area

And installing ducts back there is tough. The only ones that I'm even aware of are the Shelby ones that they used to put on the Super Snakes. They're like unicorns now.

I assume you don't have the dust shields on. If the axle seals get that much heat, how often do you have to replace the piston seal & dust boot on the rear calipers? Or is the heat conducted faster through the hub into the axle?

Are any wheels more effective than others as a heat sink?

@James Zimmerman welcome to TMO and congratulations on selecting the best Boss color. Post some photos when you get a chance.

TMO Supporting Vendors