The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: what did you do to your boss today?

Yep, there isnt a whole lot more to get out of the motor but we are going to get every bit we can! Also gutted the car of all unnecessary weight since you saw it at mini-nats, so it should be a bit faster!

ilesjohn said:
Yep, there isnt a whole lot more to get out of the motor but we are going to get every bit we can! Also gutted the car of all unnecessary weight since you saw it at mini-nats, so it should be a bit faster!
COBRA JET intake. ;D

After relocating to another state and things finally starting to slow down...

Saturday, I put on the Ford Pedestal spoiler, had the upper painted gloss black, left the lower as is.

Sunday, changed the transmission oil to Redline MTL, and differential to Redline 75W140. They both took the specified amount with no issues.

I like the MTL, a noticable difference. Did not add any extra FM over what is already in the 75W140.

Next up ATE.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

PeteInCT said:
Changed the rear pads. I hate those damn rear calipers ! ;D Overall I'm very happy with the stock brake calipers front and rear from a performance perspective, but swapping out those rear pads and compressing that piston is a PITA. I'm thinking of swapping out the rear calipers just so I can get a 'quick pad replace' design like the fronts. I'm a big Stop-Tech fan, they may have a 2 or 4 piston for the rears.
I hate the rear calipers too. I dont have a fancy tool to use as you have to compress and turn the thing at the same time. I use a C-clamp and a ratchet with the brake tool on the end. Works but takes forever.

Removed the sound pipe. Looks SO much better! Used the Hillman 1 1/2" plug for the intake and the Dorman master cylinder gasket for the firewall.

Justin

CPTMac689 said:
Removed the sound pipe. Looks SO much better! Used the Hillman 1 1/2" plug for the intake and the Dorman master cylinder gasket for the firewall.
It does, doesn't it? I didnt notice a difference in noise in the cabin. Makes checking the oil so much easier.

VWGTI123

2012 PW #2558

Filled her up with Prem 93. Last tank 264 miles took 13.6 gallons = 19.41 MPG - mostly loud spirited driving/some highway. Car has 658 miles on the odometer.

Then detailed her inside and out / top to bottom and put her back in the garage until next weekend :( I love when this car is detailed without a spec of dust on her.. I keep going to the garage and just stare from all angles!

On/off rain showers today, so took the Boss down to a friend's shop, put her up on his lift and took numerous detail photos of all the under-body/chassis assembly line paint dab & sharpie markings, tags, etc. Wanted to make sure I did this while everything is still factory fresh and visible should somebody someday in the distant future want to restore the car to like-new (should it ever need restoration).

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!

Washed it real good after my first track day yesterday.
Photos/thread https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-racing/going-to-run-my-first-open-track-event-tomorrow/new/#new
Brian

Added Deck Lid Decal

check it out here:
http://s1055.photobucket.com/albums/s509/Boss949/?action=view&current=Image-1.jpg

the graphic detail calls this decal "1971 Boss 302". Well there were no Boss 302's in 1971. EXCEPT for a prototype that Ford changed at last minute to the Boss 351. Makes this decal even more interesting.

Check this out:
http://www.mustangandfords.com/thehistoryof/173_0402_boss_mustang_35th_anniversary/index6.html

Justin

Well over the coarse of two days I did the following:
Dawn wash
clay bar
adams swirl and haze with flex polisher
adams fine machine with flex polisher
that was day one

day two
Zaino all in one
two layers of z-5

called it a weekend as it was about to rain lol

looks great

Justin,

Thanks for posting the pic. I always get it messed up.......I'm from the Original Boss Generation

Here's the place for the decal

http://www.graphic-express.com/1971_boss_351_mustang.asp#837

I fed it an Audi SR8 for breakfest. When we both reached the next light he was just shaking his head grinning. The Boss deserves a 100k breakfest every now and then.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel