The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

NFSBOSS said:
colticus those wheels look especially nice on the PW Bosses. Good choice.
Thanks man. I really wasn't interested in them till I saw them in person at the track attack. 8)

RixterGT said:
Got my oil changed and FAILED to get the TracKey installed :(. Dealer was just unable to do it (and they've had experience doing many others), mine just wasn't cooperating. Something about their software not recognizing the car? He asked me questions to verify I didn't have other tunes installed or had try to do the TracKey myself or any other mods. Car is completely stock, this was just a problem they haven't come across yet, sounds like they just couldn't get anywhere with it. I'd have really thought all the kinks would have been worked out by now, but instead I got to take 6 hours out of my day for an oil change...

Dealer's going to do some research and talk to Ford and call me next week. Really hope they figure something out.

Finally got a call from the dealer last week and took it in today to retry the TracKey. Apparently it was something of a nightmare install, including a point where the car wouldn't even start lol. But after several hours and lots of talking with the Ford hotline, they managed to rebuild the PCM or whatever without bricking it and got the TracKey successfully programmed! Really got to hand it to my dealer for sticking with it and getting it done.

I didn't really have a chance to open it up today, mostly city traffic, but my first impressions are good. It's not exactly like a whole new car, and the lopey idle is barely noticeable in my opinion, but the overall feel of the car is more like how it should have came to begin with, so I'm glad I have it to get the whole Boss 302 experience :).

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

06mach1 said:
There is a steering wheel position sensor in the clock spring. I believe it is used for advance trac.

Thanks I thought so, the race ABS controller locks out Advance Trac so I guess the car would run fine without it just no safety net in the rain ior at new tracks if you want it.
Steve

Removed most or pass side header and motor mount. Removed and placed the rear most ac line and relocated the PCM and the fuse box.
All in anticipation for the twins being mounted.
Also I coated the pass side turbo manifold and baked it. I have my own system for doing it. Lol

The manifolds will still get wrapped though. Prepped the drivers side for hear removal and the rerouting of brake lines ect.

Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Removed the fuel rail foam covers and intake manifold valley foam...also unboxed my off-road X-pipe for future install.

What did you do to your boss today?

Dropped the rear end to remove some aftermarket exhaust, replaced with factory exhaust and gained appreciation for 7/8" side pipe plates. Now that I got to hear it stock again, I am looking forward to the brown truck to arrive today with the Borla S-types.

Took a group photo with my other mustang, my car cleaning products (CroftGate USA, Knee-Grip, and Nut-Job), and my trophies I have one thus far...

For more info on the products I use:

http://www.croftgateusa.com

http://www.kneegrip.com

http://www.haha-nutjob.com

CarsNTrophyFINAL.jpg

isrboss

Changed the diff fluid out with Royal Purple 75w-140 2.5qts, and finally got around to installing the FRPP x pipe. Goodbye side exit hello weight savings, for now. Just can't seem to get rid of the small exhaust leaks at the clamp to cat pipes. Looks like I will get some copper gasket maker if it gets worse.

Swapped out my mufflers for the GT500's, does sound a little deeper and louder, but not to loud. No drone on the highway. Driver side was a PITA and had to move what ever that bar is called, parallel to the panhard bar to get it in. It's done and it looks nicer than stock.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

racered302 said:
Swapped out my mufflers for the GT500's, does sound a little deeper and louder, but not to loud. No drone on the highway. Driver side was a PITA and had to move what ever that bar is called, parallel to the panhard bar to get it in. It's done and it looks nicer than stock.
panhard bar brace its called. if they are new mufflers they get deeper and louder after you get some miles on them (in a good way).s

ArizonaGT said:
Removed the fuel rail foam covers and intake manifold valley foam...also unboxed my off-road X-pipe for future install.

I'm plannng to do this as well. It looks like the fuel rail foam with unbolt easily but I'm guessing you have to take the intake off to remove the valley foam...is this correct? If so, does anyone know the torque specs for the intake?

Flushed coolant and replace with distilled water and one bottle of water wetter.

Justin

KBBOSS1086 said:
I'm plannng to do this as well. It looks like the fuel rail foam with unbolt easily but I'm guessing you have to take the intake off to remove the valley foam...is this correct? If so, does anyone know the torque specs for the intake?

Flushed coolant and replace with distilled water and one bottle of water wetter.
yes you do have to take it off to get to the rear one. I believe its 89 inch pounds. notice I said inch not foot.

racered302 said:

Where did your GT500 mufflers come from? Are they the single tip '11/'12s? Did they come with instructions and, if so, did they call for removal of the bar?

My wife is getting me a set for my upcoming birthday and I'll be installing them in June. Fortunately she appreciates nice sounding cars - her first comment about the Boss was that it didn't sound loud enough. She's a keeper. ;D

Justin

GottaBoss said:
Where did your GT500 mufflers come from? Are they the single tip '11/'12s? Did they come with instructions and, if so, did they call for removal of the bar?

My wife is getting me a set for my upcoming birthday. I'll be installing them in June. Fortunately she appreciates nice sounding cars - her first comment about the Boss was that it didn't sound loud enough. She's a keeper. ;D
you dont get instructions with the single tips nor the dual. after you get a set under your belt you can do a swap in 20 mins

Justin said:
yes you do have to take it off to get to the rear one. I believe its 89 inch pounds. notice I said inch not foot.

Thanks Justin. Looks like I have another project for tomorrow...after I run to the auto parts store for a new torque wrench.

TMO Supporting Vendors