The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Black Boss said:
Sorry to hear it wasn't as simple as the Slave. Looks like the McLeod Friction/Pressure plates can't stand the pressure ;) you and I put on them......

So which do you figure failed first? It's not a coincidence....
I don't know what would have failed first, maybe the tab allowed the plate to bend away from the adapter ring which would leave the clutch just engaged enough to drag at high rpm. The slave was definitely bad, when I got the trans down I spun the bearing with a little pressure on it and it sounded like a box of rocks. Then when I released it it just popped off. There was fluid in the bottom of the bellhousing mixed with clutch dust like black slime. I had also been seeing the black particles in my clutch reservoir the last two changes, probably a sign of impending failure.
Steve

Installed Stainless Works catback today. Will move to full length SW headers and catted x next spring. And just for an additional kick I removed my 7/8" orifice place in side exhaust. Sounds pretty impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a new Ford Racing 302S grill on. Love the look of all black. I think I will just have it painted black and leave it. I was surprised how easy it was to remove and install. Didn't even damage the emblem when I took it off the old one. Just need a little glue to put it back on.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439

Boss LS 439 is back and better than ever!!

Ford Racing Aluminator block
Stock heads
Cobra Jet intake and CAI
AED CJ tune
Watson Racing solid motor mounts
Morsoso high capacity oil pan
Ford Racing competition pulse ring
Kooks long tube headers
Removed all of the A/C stuff under the hood

New%20Motor%201_zpsgwvwejwu.jpg

Lots more to do this summer!

Brought a tear to my eye when I fired it up, hadn't neard it roar since January

Last year today my car was getting the transmission rebuilt (due to a clutch failure on track) along with a clutch and driveshaft upgrade... well after the same track event this year, second gear isn't feeling too smooth :-\
This transmission is going to force me to sell the car, if i have to drop it or get it rebuilt every year :mad:

Bummer. The MT-82 just can't handle any hard use at all. Early on some of us were concerned about small amount of oil in the trans and how that might cause premature wear due to excessive heat. That's not th only issue but it's not helping. Hopefully the Tremec 3160 becomes available in a kit soon.

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland

F.D. Sako said:
Last year today my car was getting the transmission rebuilt (due to a clutch failure on track) along with a clutch and driveshaft upgrade... well after the same track event this year, second gear isn't feeling too smooth :-\
This transmission is going to force me to sell the car, if i have to drop it or get it rebuilt every year :mad:

another possibility
http://moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/T56_Magnum_XL_Quick_Swap.htm

drano38

Wayne

Spent 2 hours looking for a 13mm socket that fell off of the ratchet when I was installing the inline fuse block onto the battery terminal.
Socket came off ratchet, bounced off coil cover, and who knows where from there. Not on battery tray, floor, oil change cover, engine mount, top of starter, on exhaust manifold, etc. I got my fingers into every nook and cranny. Hope it didn't fall into one of the holes in the frame tubes.
Where would you go if you were a socket dropped at the positive battery terminal?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

drano38 said:
Spent 2 hours looking for a 13mm socket that fell off of the ratchet when I was installing the inline fuse block onto the battery terminal.
Socket came off ratchet, bounced off coil cover, and who knows where from there. Not on battery tray, floor, oil change cover, engine mount, top of starter, on exhaust manifold, etc. I got my fingers into every nook and cranny. Hope it didn't fall into one of the holes in the frame tubes.
Where would you go if you were a socket dropped at the positive battery terminal?

Between the header tubes???

drano38

Wayne

Man, I got my fingers all over them, and didn't find it. But I'll spend more time on it tomorrow. If I can't find it, I'll consider the exhaustive search complete, and call it good.
Gotta get the Boss ready for 3 days at BIR in 10 days. :)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

If it bounced off the coil cover, I assume it went down. Did you look between the frame rail and engine mount area?

Good luck with your search.
Dave

Nuts from motor mounts on mine fell into the small opening on the K member and ended up in the middle section. Good luck if that's where it's at.

Terry
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarkis,

I would get the car back to Rev Auto sooner rather than later. Most MT-82 parts were on backorder for a couple of months. The last of my parts just came in at the beginning of last week.

Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors