The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrossBoss said:
My car also has no front plate in CT. A cop looked at it once saw no holes and didn't say anything. It does give "them" an excuse to pull you over though.

Its hit & miss here in TX. Local police don't bother but state troopers will if they are bored. I never had a front plate on my 93 Cobra and finally got stopped by a state trooper. Actually he really wanted to look at the car as Texas DPS used to run Fox bodies. Anyway he gave me a warning ticket. I asked him about the antique plates that I had on my other car because they only issue one plate so what's the difference? He didn't have answer.

Wish I had a $ for every Vette I see with no front plate!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I agree. Unless Barney is looking to write tickets, cops tend to not bother with a front plate issue.

My brother has driven BMWs and Mercedes for 15 years without front plates. My Boss has been without a front plate for 5 years now. No issues.

A county cop, member here, that I know says that without other issues, he does not pull over a car simply for front plates missing.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
When I moved back here from Hawaii I got pulled over and the officer asked about my front plate.
I told him I just moved here from Hawaii and we didn't have to have a front plate there.
He said "When you picked up your California plates did they give you two of them?"
I said "....Yes"
He says: "The other one goes on the front."

So I put the front plate on suction cups. (You can get them at Kragens in the lic plate frame area)
When I got pulled over for my tinted windows (which used to happen a lot) They'd mention the missing plate so I'd get it out of the trunk and stick it on. Worked every time.

Back when the s197's were new, I'd get pulled over often for my windows but they really just wanted to look at the car.
They'd see I am an adult so it was more of a classic shelby looking car than some kid in a hot rod.
And they were always super cool about it. "Nice car, how many horse power" and all that. I'd promise to pull the tint off and I'd stick my front plate on there and never ever got a ticket. They still leave me alone....which I thank god for.
If they started looking for things to cite me on I'd be toast.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Agree. Cops reaction is usually directly related to your actions. Be cool and the respond in kind.

I can only imagine how many young kids lives have need saved because a good cop pulled them over and reminded them to be safe and that they were watching.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I have a Sherriff, a US Marshall, CHP, 2 fire fighters and a Correctional officer in my family plus 3 branches of the military.
Nothing but respect for those in uniform from this fat kid right here.

TMSBOSS said:
Agree. Cops reaction is usually directly related to your actions. Be cool and the respond in kind.

I can only imagine how many young kids lives have need saved because a good cop pulled them over and reminded them to be safe and that they were watching.

Or how many of us (me) don't have a permanent reminder of a youthful indiscretion because the cop was a decent guy and understood kids do stuff that may be a teachable moment vs a bondable one.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
M91196 said:
Or how many of us (me) don't have a permanent reminder of a youthful indiscretion because the cop was a decent guy and understood kids do stuff that may be a teachable moment vs a bondable one.
Yup, in my almost 58 years on this planet (That includes being stupid kid) I have never ever had a cop be a jerk to me...ever.

302 Hi Pro said:
Yes, that makes two of us pressing our luck in Jersey. Stopped twice for license plate infractions, one for no front plate, and one for my rear license plate frame that obstructed the lower half of the "New Jersey" letters on the bottom of the plate.

Fortunately, no tickets yet.
302 Hi Pro

PS: Let me know next time you plan a trip to NJMP, Englishtown or Atco, it's nice to have have Fellow Boss owners at track events. All the Best, 2HP

Lets call it 3 NJ Boss 302s. The police are very cool here in monmouth co. when it comes to custom and rare cars. Unless your not being cool.
A little update for me as well. RXT clutch/flywheel/ss lines, TSS OPGs and some other stuff but those are the big ones.

20160624_143449_zps4rwg91vm.jpg

20160624_142428_zpsishlkdg9.jpg

20160624_142421_zpse4mbpfbr.jpg

IMG_1802_zps0r1r6hmr.jpg

IMG951809_zpsgypffuoe.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
k98dave said:
Installed the trans cooler scoop. I didn't notice until it was on but guess it has to come off for oil changes. :(

It's only another 4 nuts and a couple of minutes for both off and back on. No biggie.

Now hooking it on speed bumps is another matter. I still cringe when I hear it!

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
k98dave said:
Installed the trans cooler scoop. I didn't notice until it was on but guess it has to come off for oil changes. :(

Scoop does not have to come off. You will either have to clean the scoop after oil change or buy a flexible funnel and place it in the scoop to keep oil out of the scoop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V9JWHO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Form-A-Funnel® Flexible Draining Tool - 6.5" x 14.5"

Great tool. I also use it to catch the oil from the filter when I change the oil.

Dropped the Boss 302 H-pipe and side pipes for a Bassani After Cat X-Pipe. Not as loud but a nice gain in Revs, hits red line a tad faster. MPH per RPM picked up just a tad too. Wonder if a tune just changing to the X-pipe would help, Cats are still there.

Got the car inspected for a track weekend at Summit Point with the PCA. Still having trouble with the exhaust hitting things. At Watkins Glenn it melted the fuel tank vent tube, not the rear diff breather like I had thought. I also had the rear pinion seal replaced since that is where my rear end fluid was coming from. So far this year everything I was worried about (brakes, oil cooler, etc) have been fine. The exhaust is causing me waaaaaay to much pain this year in terms of cost. Been thinking about just saying screw it and buy a whole new system this winter. We've tried bending, adjusting, heat wrap and no success. Just keeps moving into something else.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Smilieboy said:
Got the car inspected for a track weekend at Summit Point with the PCA. Still having trouble with the exhaust hitting things. At Watkins Glenn it melted the fuel tank vent tube, not the rear diff breather like I had thought. I also had the rear pinion seal replaced since that is where my rear end fluid was coming from. So far this year everything I was worried about (brakes, oil cooler, etc) have been fine. The exhaust is causing me waaaaaay to much pain this year in terms of cost. Been thinking about just saying screw it and buy a whole new system this winter. We've tried bending, adjusting, heat wrap and no success. Just keeps moving into something else.

SmilieBoy:

Are you running 3.0" mid pipes and OTA pipes? I have had my struggles with adjusting for clearance issues with my MagnaFlow 3.0 X-Pipe Cat Back system. Thinking about using reducers, (3.0" to 2.75"), behind my 3.0" Boss 302 X-Pipe and then running new 2.75" Mid and OTA pipes to new AB mufflers using the OEM style ball joint pipe connectors & clamps. Hoping that little extra .25 to .50" of clearance will help.

But first, I'll try replacing my rear FRPP Boss T springs with Steeda Boss 302 rear springs to rais the rear a little. This might give me enough clearance to keep the 3.0" Mid and OTA MagnaFlow system. That would be nice as I do like the sound of my MagnaFlow Boss 302 X-Pipe system with Kooks Super Streets and Kooks Boss 302 Gen 2 side pipes.

What is your plan for curing your current exhaust system clearance issues?

Thanks,
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors