The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Day after tomorrow I pick my car up from the receiver. It has been about 5 weeks since I loaded it into the cargo container.

Removed the restrictor plates for the first time. I got my new cold air intake and download, but didn't install it. I only have 500 miles on it so I want to make sure the vehicle doesn't have any mechanical problems before I remove the warranty on the parts it affects...I also opened the hood today and found a large rat nest on top of the engine, tucked behind the belts. It was stuffed with leaves and notebook paper. The only damage done was to the black foam insert that is to close the opening underneath the intake. Didn't chew through it, but did tear away some of the foam. I keep my car in my shop and there is an open field across the street so I have placed 8 mouse trapes around and underneath the car...wow, what a mess!

Nothing, not one thing. And I'm pissed. I spent a ton on gifts for others and all I asked for was an MGW shifter and didn't even get a gift certificate for that.

Sesshomurai

I took the grill off and cut the fog light deletes out to allow more air to flow through. I also painted it all matte black.
I will add wire mesh to it, when it arrives. Homemade 302S grill. Total price $25.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego

DKL said:
I also opened the hood today and found a large rat nest on top of the engine, tucked behind the belts. It was stuffed with leaves and notebook paper. The only damage done was to the black foam insert that is to close the opening underneath the intake. Didn't chew through it, but did tear away some of the foam. I keep my car in my shop and there is an open field across the street so I have placed 8 mouse trapes around and underneath the car...wow, what a mess!

Buy a couple of packets of chewing tobacco and put one of the open packets in the engine compartment.

I also use 2-electronic pest repellents in the garage.

Also, we also have Orkin on contract to spray the perimeter of the house every 2 months to keep the critters away.

Sesshomurai

Boss949 said:
Installed "Sound Tube Delete" from Cooltech.

Huge difference in hearing the exhausts and true engine noise. Great investment.

Is it louder or quieter without the sound tube?

darreng505 said:
Is it louder or quieter without the sound tube?

Because of the weather, I could only go on a short drive in the neighborhood.

First impression: Cleaner sound. In Idle position, it was very different. Reminded me of the Borla YouTube video. You could hear David Borla speaking with the rumble of the engine and exhausts in background. I'll bet they disconnect any sound tubes in their vehicles. Does that make sense?

Short drive: the engine and exhaust sounded better. More distinctive. Engine in the front /exhaust from the rear. The way it's supposed to be.

So, the answer to your ? Yes, quieter in the sense of a cleaner, more distinctive sound. Must be because those sound waves that are supposed to enhance the driving experience, are negated.

Hope this helps. Wish I had deleted the sound tube sooner.

Louder, in the sense that I could hear the exhausts and the engine more distinctly .

smittytx said:
Nothing, I haven't even seen it in almost two months. :(
Two months? ??? Did you lose visitation rights or something?

I haven't driven mine in over a week because it keeps raining. I was hoping for a break today but no luck. Maybe this afternoon it will dry out.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!

Boss949 said:
Because of the weather, I could only go on a short drive in the neighborhood.

First impression: Cleaner sound. In Idle position, it was very different. Reminded me of the Borla YouTube video. You could hear David Borla speaking with the rumble of the engine and exhausts in background. I'll bet they disconnect any sound tubes in their vehicles. Does that make sense?

Short drive: the engine and exhaust sounded better. More distinctive. Engine in the front /exhaust from the rear. The way it's supposed to be.

So, the answer to your ? Yes, quieter in the sense of a cleaner, more distinctive sound. Must be because those sound waves that are supposed to enhance the driving experience, are negated.

Hope this helps. Wish I had deleted the sound tube sooner.

Louder, in the sense that I could hear the exhausts and the engine more distinctly .

I was wondering if it is quieter in the cabin without the sound pumped in. I like the sound coming and being where it should be naturally (outside leaking to the inside). :)

NFSBOSS said:
Two months? ??? Did you lose visitation rights or something?

I haven't driven mine in over a week because it keeps raining. I was hoping for a break today but no luck. Maybe this afternoon it will dry out.

My last race was in New Orleans, from there it went to Houston to get the terrible paint job fixed and a new clutch. It's just waiting for me now and I can't get there. I'm having withdrawals.

Took the car out for a test drive with the new splitter on along with the front tow hook. Nothing fell off ;)
First time in the car in three weeks due to a rolled left ankle.

GA

Smilieboy said:
Got the car inspected for my track event tomorrow at CMP and washed it.

Have a blast! CMP is one of my favorite tracks. Take it easy in the brake zones at first - the Pirellis lose traction in the cold.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az

This is still very much in progress (pic taken after clear had tacked, but checking the tape lines in the vents):

IMG_2671.jpg

Looks like it doesn't match in the photo, but its just the pearl refracting light at different angle than the fenders. It looks fantastic and I hope I get to bring it home soon.

TMO Supporting Vendors