The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your GT350 or S550 Mustang today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Trailer hooked up and after church off we go to Palmer Racing Development to pick up the Weight Watchers Reduction RaceCar!!! Two weeks till the first track outing ...........my fever just broke ( cabin fever , that is)!!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Trailer hooked up and after church off we go to Palmer Racing Development to pick up the Weight Watchers Reduction RaceCar!!! Two weeks till the first track outing ...........my fever just broke ( cabin fever , that is)!!

Lucky buggar! We're a good month away from the first day out. Ah well, couple of jobs to do on the car yet. I did take the cover off today though, and tomorrow intend to take it off the dollies and get it back down on terra firma!

Temps finally hit 67 today....
Car has been parked since mid-November.
By 2pm, I couldn't stand it any longer and caved.
Pulled the cover off and took it out for a long awaited spring ride.
Police must have been anticipating everyone else having the same thoughts....
They were everywhere, which limited the opportunities for any "spirited" acceleration.:cool:

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Finally got started on my MT-82 swap in my '18. As I have posted on the FB version of our forum, the gearing for track use really sucks with the D4 version. Ford basically stole a gear that was usable and added an extra overdrive. The previously close ratios of 3-4-5 became super wide only 2 usable ratios 3-----4 in 2018, A swap was a must and as everyone knows I like the lightness and low cost of the MT-82. In 9 years on track I haven't broken one yet. Took out the '18 trans and clutch assembly and put in a fresh 2017 trans with a Exedy Hyper Single clutch and new throw out bearing. Some surprises include the fact that the pilot bearing is installed in the flywheel not in the crankshaft so had to order one of those. Also found out the trans is completely new castings and that there are differences in the arms for MGW race spec between '15-'17 and '18-'19 so had to ask George to send those parts. Finally, got rid of the heavy 2 piece driveshaft in favor of a DSS Carbon unit for 2015-17 cars. Well that entailed changing the pinion companion flange in the rear as Ford reduced the diameter by .1" due to a change in their rear CV joint. Yesterday I finally got it all installed and bled the clutch cylinder. Still have to rehang the exhaust, start it up and do a crank neutral profile relearn, hope the showers move out before dark. Will also try and get some pics.
Steve

View attachment 7483View attachment 7481 Excited about my first HPDE season. 2 trips to VIR, a track day at Dominion and maybe a couple Autocross events. ST43 Pads on the way along with some R-S4s that will be mounted on these Apex SM-10’s 19x11 square.

If your just starting out into HPDE the stock tires and brakes are fine. Even as you progress the factory supersports and brakes are fine. The tires will be the weakest link at higher levels. Factory pads are good even at advanced levels except for increased wear. Quite a few guys still run them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
If your just starting out into HPDE the stock tires and brakes are fine. Even as you progress the factory supersports and brakes are fine. The tires will be the weakest link at higher levels. Factory pads are good even at advanced levels except for increased wear. Quite a few guys still run them.

Thanks for the advice. There has been debate on whether to bring stock pads to VIR and these are my thoughts. Since its a fast track and I wouldn't want to find out I'm using up more of the stock pad than I expected, I decided to go with ST43s. Also my OEM pads are about 30% done and it would stink to run out of pad before the weekend was over. At my level I'd probably be ok but, I figure a some extra insurance is something less to be concerned about.

My car is an R so I have my factory PSC2s not the Super Sports. If I were trailering my car I'd probably run my PSC2s but, since i'll be driving it for the 4 hour trip and running in green group I've put them aside for later use; it will give me chance to gain some experience on a tire with less grip. Another concern was running out of tire and or possibly running into weather on the trip home...200tw tire offers me some more flexibility.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. There has been debate on whether to bring stock pads to VIR and these are my thoughts. Since its a fast track and I wouldn't want to find out I'm using up more of the stock pad than I expected, so I decided to go with ST43s...also my OEM pads are about 30% done and it would stink to run out of pad before the weekend was over. At my level I'd probably be ok but, I figure a some extra insurance is something less to be concerned about.

My car is an R so I have my factory PSC2s not the Super Sports. If I were trailering my car I'd probably run my PSC2s but, since i'll be driving it for the 4 hour trip and I'll be running in green group I've put them aside for later use; it will give me chance to gain some experience on a tire with less grip. Another concern was running out of tire and or possibly running into weather on the trip home...200tw tire offers me some more flexibility.

I see. Have fun at the track. Yeah the RS4 is a step down then from the factory tires.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
HR692 --ccompletely agree, high temp brake fluid change ( Motul 600 as an example) prior to going and some race pads should be on your shopping list if going to VIR. Those of us that have been there will tell you ..........." She is one fast lady!!"

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
HR692 --ccompletely agree, high temp brake fluid change ( Motul 600 as an example) prior to going and some race pads should be on your shopping list if going to VIR. Those of us that have been there will tell you ..........." She is one fast lady!!"

Bill really looking forward to it! I hope to meet some of you there over 4th of July weekend, have fun and learn as much as I can.

Last edited:

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Learned another hard lesson regarding rear gear assemblies. Don't take shortcuts! When I had to change the flange on my stock rear (to avoid dropping it out and swapping to the aluminum case setup) I did not heed Ford's warning not to reuse the crush sleeve and killed my pinion bearings. I used the old turns of pinion nut method and ended up with bad preload, during the first extended test drive I heard clunking and then a whine, followed by the smell of gear lube as the pinion seal failed. Luckily Mustang Magic in Deer Park LI will be able to build up my Aluminum case gear set with new Torsen and have it installed by Friday so I can leave for Road Atlanta and Charlotte by Saturday. Fingers crossed.

Monaca Pa
I don’t know if I will make the first track night on the 24th. I need to install new left rear hub, flush brake sys and use Castro’s SRF and rear end fluid. I need to make appointment for front end alignment. And I think I need a new helmet.

TMO Supporting Vendors