The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where's My RedPill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Very nice write up on your fist Track Day outing Rick. I'm very happy to learn the new 350TP exceeded expectations.

Race gas at $300 to $400 per day is cheap insurance for a race engine, not to mention the 27 HP gain! At $11 to $15 USD per HP, it's got to be the best HP value mod going!

Have fun learning your new car on track and I'll look forward to reading about your new record setting lap times.

Regards,
Dave
2HP

302 Hi Pro said:
Very nice write up on your fist Track Day outing Rick. I'm very happy to learn the new 350TP exceeded expectations.

Race gas at $300 to $400 per day is cheap insurance for a race engine, not to mention the 27 HP gain! At $11 to $15 USD per HP, it's got to be the best HP value mod going!

Have fun learning your new car on track and I'll look forward to reading about your new record setting lap times.

Regards,
Dave
2HP
That's funny Dave, when I was talking to Rick last night I rationalized it the same way :) I was thinking to get 27 rwhp you'd need LTs an O/R x and a tune which would set you back around 5 grand. At 40 gallons a weekend that's $250 in extra fuel costs so you could do 20 weekends and still break even! I'm really glad Ford gave us a race fuel compatible tune ;)

302 Hi Pro said:

Regards,
Dave
2HP
There's a cheaper way to get there too. I think I'm going this route versus keeping a barrel of 98 at my warehouse and transporting. 3.75 ounces will raise 91 to 98 which will cost roughly $3.50 per gallon. That's a lot cheaper than $9/gal by the barrel.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mef-100032/overview/

Thanks for the first impressions! I waffled quite a bit on transitioning out of my Griggs GT500, which was immensely fun and fast on track, but it sounds like this will be a different experience in a good way that will also be much more user friendly for fun times on the street. It's nice to hear how neutral the car was out of the box, especially with staggered stock rubber. Have you done anything with the alignment yet, and do you know what your factory specs are/were? Was your front tire wear even across the width?

cloud9 said:
There's a cheaper way to get there too. I think I'm going this route versus keeping a barrel of 98 at my warehouse and transporting. 3.75 ounces will raise 91 to 98 which will cost roughly $3.50 per gallon. That's a lot cheaper than $9/gal by the barrel.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mef-100032/overview/

Have you guys tested/used this product? I've always been a Torco guy and was hoping to get away from it with this naturally aspirated engine. It does seem to be a good idea though even with the precision of these knock sensors. I have just never liked the orange spark plugs. All the people I know and trust say it's a non-issue, but I still don't like it and was hoping to avoid it.

CSL said:
Have you guys tested/used this product? I've always been a Torco guy and was hoping to get away from it with this naturally aspirated engine. It does seem to be a good idea though even with the precision of these knock sensors. I have just never liked the orange spark plugs. All the people I know and trust say it's a non-issue, but I still don't like it and was hoping to avoid it.
A friend of mine has been using it on his Coyote and recommended it.

Great review, just what I wanted to hear for a first time shake down. Did you stick with the OEM fluid when you swapped the calipers?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
cloud9 said:
A friend of mine has been using it on his Coyote and recommended it.

Looks like a single bottle will make 93 to 99-101 depending on how much fuel you have on board. Guessing here i'd say 10 gallons per bottle treated.. Any more than that you start losing octane. S197's have a 16 gallon tank if i'm correct. Based on previous threads isn't it best to have a full tank?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@CSL @cloud9 be careful with those additives. If you're running the stock tune it might be OK but it's definitely no substitute for real race gas.
The Torco additive mixed for "100 octane" didn't play well with my B302 engine and 95 MON tune.

100 octane isn't cheap but it's a lot less expensive than a new engine.

ArizonaBOSS said:
@CSL @cloud9 be careful with those additives. If you're running the stock tune it might be OK but it's definitely no substitute for real race gas.
The Torco additive mixed for "100 octane" didn't play well with my B302 engine and 95 MON tune.

Interestingly when you read their site, they developed it after blowing up a brand new engine with race fuel from the track that wasn't as advertised so it can cut both ways. The fact that the stock tune will run on 91 has me comfortable using this since it doesn't REQUIRE race fuel like a strictly race tune would. When i get tine I will dyno with the Race Gas so we can see what it produces.

ArizonaBOSS said:

Thanks for the feedback. I have always used Torco as insurance and always ran it on a 91 tune. That was on a car without knock sensors, so I never saw a performance gain and never pushed it with a more aggressive tune. I just wanted peace of mind. If using it on the 350 allows for more spark advance then that is a great benefit. There has been some real word testing of Torco over the years, and a 32 oz bottle turns 15 gallons of 91 into 96 roughly. That is pretty good insurance for a stock tune, but I'm still not a fan of the orange plugs.

It will be really interesting to see the before and after dyno pulls from cloud9 with the Race Gas additive. Anecdotes are no replacement for data ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Agreed, use data to make the decision. As noted, you should be OK on the stock tunes with that stuff. @Shaun@AED has a lot to say about how those additives work vs. straight race fuel.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Agreed, use data to make the decision. As noted, you should be OK on the stock tunes with that stuff. @Shaun@AED has a lot to say about how those additives work vs. straight race fuel.
Definitely good discussion and open to all experiences. One of the biggest challenges for me is no race fuel at most of the regional tracks other than Road America. That means buying drums and transporting it which has its own issues/challenges.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
FWIW, I fill the car full with 100 before leaving for an event, and carry 4 VP fuel jugs full of 100 (which will hold an additional 22 gallons total), this will get me through a weekend without issue. Fuel cost roughly $230 per event after initial fill at $8.50/gal here in AZ. Of course this only works if you have access to race fuel near your home or business.

The place I can get race gas at the pump has 98 for $6/gallon and 101 for $7. But yeah, would need to fill cans otherwise Id burn through most of it just getting to the track.

VoodooBOSS said:
I ordered a Bell K1 Pro with the red circuit design. They moved their production facility and are back ordered on many of their SA2015 helmets. That helmet should work well for track days and Karting.
I changed my order today to a Bell GP.3 Carbon. ETA is the same as the K1 and both should be here in June.

D0496521-9D71-4997-8413-DE9E49EFE82A_zpsq3swtdfb.png

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel