• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where's My RedPill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man the red looks so much better! The more I think of it the more im irked ford gives you some super-car sized brakes and then goes and has them coatedt in black, to blend in with the black wheels.

VoodooBoss

Rick
I finally took a photo of the full car with the calipers on.

IMG_7303_zpshgn1notr_1.jpg

krt22 said:
what trick ended up getting the parking brake cable off?

Looks slick!

On the parking brake cable (where the cable comes out of the driveshaft tunnel) their is a adjusting 10mm nut. Loosen this nut and it allows slack on the parking brake cables to allow removal at the parking shoes.

VoodooBoss

Rick
Yes, they can be ordered from Track Day Solutions. Pete's website hasn't been updated yet with the new TMO info and the new side window stickers are 10" not 7" as they are easier to make. Also 30" stickers are available for the bottom of the door and the windshield banner stickers are also available. He also has helmet stickers available including GT350.

http://www.trackdaysolutions.com/graphics_BMO.html

@PeteInCT

IMG_6955_zps7phrfk0e.jpg
IMG_7074_zpsddgtblbn.jpg
0BE2CB01-FE9B-432B-8752-02303600B2DF_zpsjalrhsbk.jpg
IMG_7147_zps49iyasxv.jpg
IMG_2333_zpsbxdsja17.jpg

VoodooBoss

Rick
Here's my impressions of the GT350 Track Pack after my first track day. This was a semi private track day with about 30 cars in two run groups and there were lots of cool cars including six new 991 GT3's, a Viper ACR and a Ferrari F430 Challenge car. I had lots of people stopping by and asking a lot of questions about the car. The number one question was how much ADM did I pay. Two GT3 owners have been actively looking for a GT350R and I told them they are not alone and good luck! The next most popular questions asked was they wanted to know if it was an R. I was pleasantly surprised by how many compliments I received on the race red color. ;D

Conditions:
Windy with gusts up to 40 mph. Sunny with highs in the low 60's and my first track session was in the low 50's. I put about 170 track miles on the car. I ran every session in Track Mode and used advanced track in sport mode the first two sessions and turned it off completely for the last four sessions.

Brakes:
They are amazing. I was using Pagid RS-29 pads and I was out braking everyone I was on track with and by a fair margin. That includes four GT3's. Ford did not disappoint here but you've already heard that from others. Believe it.

Tires:
I was pleasantly surprised how well the stock PSS tires performed. Per recommendations I started at 28 and ended up at 33 psi. Because it wasn't very warm the tires did not got greasy and I didn't check them the last couple of sessions. Regardless I can't wait to get some R comps on the car. All of the GT3's at the track today were running PSC2 tires.

Handling:
Wow the car was very well balanced and I didn't experience any push up front and only got the back loose a couple of times and that was from turning in too quickly from going in too deep to a corner. ::) The car has excellent turn in and should improve with CC plates and R comp tires. I REALLY like the steering a lot although it could use more feedback. It was linear and precise and nothing to complain about there. The dampers do an amazing job of controlling roll in the large and heavy S550 chassis. My thought is that serious track rats running R comps or slicks will want more spring. On this point it will be interesting to see what Ford Performance comes up with. While it's easy to install the R's springs the slot gap in the non R dampers are larger and I'm not sure if there will be enough damping to control a lot stiffer spring. Time will tell.

On corner exit you can put the power down early and I'll need to adjust to that. More time to be had there for sure.

Gas:
I ran 100 octane at $9 a gallon. :eek: The two reasons for this is I was told from our favorite tuner that the cars run a bit lean and to run race gas. Then the dyno chart from another member showed a 27 hp increase from 91 to 98 octane. An expensive mod for sure but the added engine safety is worth it. But at 5 mpg all I have to say is ouch!

Engine:
Fabulous! Pulls hard from 4,000 rpm's and up. I have a long motorcycle background so I like high revving engines and the voodoo does not disappoint. I set my shift light at 7,700 and had no reason to go beyond that. If this motor holds up, and I fully expect it to, it could possibly go down as one of the last great V8's. And I thought the roadrunner was amazing...oh and everyone was commenting on how great it sounded. My son said it was one of the loudest cars on track. No wonder they can't pass sound at LS and other low db tracks.

Seats and steering wheel:
No doubt the new Recaro seats in the 350 are a big improvement for track work over the previous generation seats. They are snug for me so I can imagine they will be very snug for wide bodies. Of note is mine seem to be loosening up a bit so hopefully comfort will improve around town. Besides my right knee hitting the steering column adjuster the other side of my right knee was rubbing on the soft touch plastic adjacent to the HVAC controls. Seems I can't win..

The steering wheel is thicker and smaller then the S197 cars and that suits me just fine. It's really a nice wheel. My only complaint is I hit the wiper lever a couple of times. ::)

Temps:
As soon as I pulled off the track after my last five sessions I snapped a photo of the temps to document.

IMG_7556_zpskvtqyrj0.jpg
IMG_7558_zps9hvfdltd.jpg
IMG_7559_zpsig6xvacl.jpg
IMG_7561_zps6hosklwz.jpg
IMG_7566_zps5kgjjcnx.jpg

The Porsche GT3:
Ford used the mighty Porsche GT3 to benchmark the GT350R against. I love the GT3 and I'd love to own one. To me it's the pinnacle of what a street legal track car should be. So it gives me great pleasure passing them on track. ;D Even without the light and sticky wheels and aero from the R I was hoping that I'd be able to keep pace with the four GT3's in my run group. What I was looking for was the ability to stay with them from say 50-120 mph. I'm happy to report it was very close. I think the GT3 is still a kiss faster accelerating at those speeds but it will be close. I was a bit skeptical that Ford had actually accomplished that goal but I'm fully convinced of it now. THANK YOU FORD!

I'll have some video up in a day or two.

1CE97CC0-E6A7-4A6E-B7D1-E3CE569F0F75_zpsuvu4nvty.jpg

@Moto
@cloud9
@fuhrius
@Black Boss
@krt22
@ChopSui
@8250RPM

Awesome! Could you elaborate a little more on the Pagid pads? How do they compare vs OEM? I've found the stock pads stop reasonably well but on the track, the pedal is too soft for my taste. I prefer a hard pedal and more initial bite.

cloud9

Gary
It sounded like you guys had a great day. I was really happy to hear how good the brakes were using track pads. It's what I expected but comforting to hear it confirmed nonetheless. It's also fantastic to know the car performed flawlessly with no limp mode, codes or temp issues. Looks like Ford really nailed it!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Latest lap times

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel