The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Whiteline Watts link/ axle bleeder valve

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As I was sitting under the car getting ready to install the Watts Link I noticed something.

The bleeder valve for the axle fluid was on the diff cover, there is no bleeder valve on the Whiteline diff cover. Same thing I saw with a 13 Shelby after a guy put on the Watts link, it leaked as there was no bleeder valve.

Two things, am I completely missing another bleeder valve on top of the axle? I swear I couldn't find one, the other is if anyone knows or has heard of a fix to this issue? Mine is a 13 Boss, the typical bleeder valve I'm used to seeing on the driver side axle is no longer there.

There is another on the left side axle tube up top if I remember correctly. If you are running hard you will need to intall a breather can in the trunk, the "turkey Baster" TSB part from Ford does not work.

You can see the fitting coming off the left side of the axle tube with a rubber line going to the "KR" style differential fluid catch can mounted to the underside of the chassis on mine. It's just below the white spot on the rear sway. Like Steve said you should have a bolt plugging that hole on top of the axle on one side or the other of the diff. Hopefully they didn't miss that during production on yours

20130326151302.jpg

Thanks fellas, I'll take a look after work today. Hopefully there is a bolt up there I missed.

I've just started my Whiteline watts link install and notice that the routing of the fuel line is different for the Boss versus the GT. The instructions have you remove a plastic clip and replace it with an included clip to gain a bit of clearance. However we have an additional rubber line that comes off at a Y-fitting and runs over the top. I'm wondering if we will have to do anything else to maintain clearance or is it fine as is.P1010440_zps81deb92c.jpg

Ah dang! Where were you about 25 minutes ago? lol That looks much better than the bob's kit. Is this a brand kit or a DIY kit?

I don't know if it is sold as a kit. Another Boss owner ordered the Allstar canister and the line separately. Got this when he sold his car. It is basically the same thing that comes on the 302S.

YellowBoss said:
There is another on the left side axle tube up top if I remember correctly. If you are running hard you will need to intall a breather can in the trunk, the "turkey Baster" TSB part from Ford does not work.

Scott - What is the benefit of the adding a breather can versus using the stock axle breather turkey baster?

cloud9 said:
Good deal. How do you like the Watts link so far? It's been so cold here I haven't had much seat time with mine yet.

I haven't ran it yet, been waiting on my ground control coilovers first. Now it looks like I'll be waiting on the axle fluid catch can as well.

Yep what Wayne said, that turkey baster does nothing to help.

The idea behind the type of can I have is to be a breather and not an oil catch. The line runs straight up from the axle to the trunk, it can bubble up like a volcano but little will make it all the way to the can. After I stop what is in the line will drip back into the rear. I have yet to get any oil in the can and my overflow problems are solved.

It is the same as the engine breather and trans breather pictured below, you saw how much oil was in my engine breather after a year. So why catch oil in one of the other devices?

Battery1_zps09d591b1.jpg

Will running a line to the trunk require drilling, or is there a grommet/drain plug that can be modified to run the line to the trunk for a breather can setup?

I'm trying to avoid drilling as much as possible lol.

Jayman33 said:
I haven't ran it yet, been waiting on my ground control coilovers first. Now it looks like I'll be waiting on the axle fluid catch can as well.
I got a little more time in it today albeit in 45 degree weather. Turning from a stop and getting back on the GO pedal on winding interstate ramps is noticeably better than before. It has a lot more forward bite and squats the rear and digs versus skittering before where you really had to wait for traction before rolling into the throttle. I'm hoping to run down to the track Saturday and really test it.

F.D. Sako said:
Will running a line to the trunk require drilling, or is there a grommet/drain plug that can be modified to run the line to the trunk for a breather can setup?

I'm trying to avoid drilling as much as possible lol.

Car is being fixed right now so I do not have a picture. I did not drill any holes but to run the line straight up I could have, instead I used the big plug on the forward drivers side of the trunk.

cloud9 said:
I got a little more time in it today albeit in 45 degree weather. Turning from a stop and getting back on the GO pedal on winding interstate ramps is noticeably better than before. It has a lot more forward bite and squats the rear and digs versus skittering before where you really had to wait for traction before rolling into the throttle. I'm hoping to run down to the track Saturday and really test it.

Fantastic, I can't wait to actually get back in mine. It has spent the majority of its life in pieces.

TMO Supporting Vendors