The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Who's going to trade up now to a GT350???? Have to ask on this part of the site.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I still can't get over the looks, the S550 looks so ugly IMO. I'm keeping my Boss for sure. But I'm excited to see what comes around when the S550 gets a refresh, the gt350 seems awesome aside from looking like a googly-eyed catfish.

arabbit said:
I still can't get over the looks, the S550 looks so ugly IMO. I'm keeping my Boss for sure. But I'm excited to see what comes around when the S550 gets a refresh, the gt350 seems awesome aside from looking like a googly-eyed catfish.

Have you seen one in person? The pictures and movies don't really let you get a good look at the car.

Re: Who's going to trade up now????? Have to ask on this part of the site.

coboss said:
The number of people craving a manual is dropping every day. There are still a significant number of people who will accept a manual, and even like it, but the number of people who absolutely will not drive one is increasing. On the new M3/M4 BMWs, only 20% are taking the manual, IN EUROPE. In the US, I'm guessing the number will be much lower.

I hate autos as much as anyone, but Ford needs to face reality. The 2015 Z06 Corvette (and the next-gen Z/28) will be available with the Corvette 8-speed automatic. You can't even buy a Ferrari, Porsche or Mercedes with a manual transmission any more. I'm guessing Ford has an auto in development to put behind the new 5.2L flat plane, and it will appear eventually.

That's unfortunate that Europeans are switching to auto's also, I can understand in the US that the auto would reign supreme but not Europe. I would buy an auto in a car if it was something similar to the Porsche's PDK but anything other than that just doesn't make sense to me.

Brandon302 said:
Have you seen one in person? The pictures and movies don't really let you get a good look at the car.

Yeah, I've seen and driven one. I was actually more disappointed after I saw it in person. It still looks ugly, the headlights look dumb, and the front is too round (although I will say I didn't mind the rear too much). To my surprise, the interior disappointed me too. I felt cramped sitting it it, the rear seats are 100% useless, and the controls/instrument cluster felt cheap and tacky to me. All the new tech and performance features of the GT350 make me happy, but I cannot get over the ugly ass look of that car. I will be keeping my Boss either way, but I will be interested to see if Ford actually makes these cars look aggressive and muscley again when they do a refresh.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
I'm in :) Just waiting for the 2nd year and getting the engine/drivetrain debugged. Got burned with the electrical issues on the 12 Boss.

Peter Who still loves Pony Cars

Boss1815 said:
Depending what the specifics are I might add one, but my Boss is going nowhere. One thing that would hold me back is I'm not a fan of the S550 styling, even as a GT350. Maybe it'll be better in person.
We'll see what happens when all the questions are answered.

+1. Love the GT350 specs. Still not enamored by the styling. It's way better than the GT but the S550 headlights just plain bother me. It won't kill a deal but definitely makes me ok with waiting two years to see what else ford has up their sleeve and allow adm etc to subside on the 350. Saw an interview that suggested near GT500 production numbers (mustang6g forum). If that many are made, no issue getting one on year two. For sure with a new engine architecture this model will see a few years of production while also (guessing) phased into some other high end ford and licensed products. Short ramble. I remain hopeful but still love the BOSS.

OLOABoss said:
I'm in :) Just waiting for the 2nd year and getting the engine/drivetrain debugged. Got burned with the electrical issues on the 12 Boss.

Peter Who still loves Pony Cars
I thought you'd be back for more! With a twin disc clutch and Tremec 3160 trans they should eliminate shifting gremlins many of us experienced.

I'm in.
I agree with a lot of people's comments here re: styling of the s550 - when seen on screen...but, in person, it's pretty nice.
I've also driven one quite a bit (see other threads for comments on that)...but the chassis is there. the GT w/ performance pack car I drove was underwhelming...but the chassis is there. add the big brakes, magnaride, better tranny, and that motor, and ya, I'm in.
I looooove my boss. as a street car. but the GT350 looks like a car that I'll really be able to dual-purpose. and that's appealing.

I'm on the waiting list at 2 different dealers. 3rd in line where I bought my '13 Boss, and 1st at another dealer (they don't sell many mustangs, so they don't know if they will get an allocation). I'm keeping my Boss, just looking to add a GT350 (still haven't ruled out a Z/28). Everybody thought the Z/28' would have huge ADM's and be impossible to find. If you look on Autotrader or Ebay you should be able to find one within 200 miles of where you live and at below MSRP! I live in eastern Iowa, and have seen them within 150 miles of here for 5K off MSRP. You here about ADM's whenever something new comes out: Boss, GT500, Z/28, Hellcat, etc. I think the norm is to not charge a ADM, rather than for dealers to try to find a sucker to pay it!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I'm thinking to add one if the base price comes in under $53k. It looks like a lot less CF parts and CCBs than anticipated should keep the price reasonable. I think the 'R's, if street legal, will be the ones going for $65k+

Aside from the part costs of brakes, CF panels and aluminum fenders, I don't see the development costs exceeding those of the Boss program by much.

Brandon302 said:
That's unfortunate that Europeans are switching to auto's also, I can understand in the US that the auto would reign supreme but not Europe. I would buy an auto in a car if it was something similar to the Porsche's PDK but anything other than that just doesn't make sense to me.

It has taken 75 years, but they finally have automatics to the point where they really do make sense. The Porsche dual-clutch is the standard, but now BMW's gets all the raves. People like the Corvette's 8-speed, too. The jury is still out on the Chrysler 9-speed though.

Given the choice, I'll take the stick every time, but you rarely get the choice any more. I guess if someone gave me an M4 with a dual-clutch auto, I'd swallow my pride and take it.....

As the higher CAFE numbers kick in, expect to see the manual transmission essentially die. This really p**sses me off, because in REAL WORLD driving, a manual almost always beats an auto in MPG, especially if it is a slushbox auto, but the EPA test cycle favors an automatic. I almost never drive in stop and go traffic, so why shouldn't I be allowed to choose the transmission that gets the best mileage for me?

coboss said:
It has taken 75 years, but they finally have automatics to the point where they really do make sense. The Porsche dual-clutch is the standard, but now BMW's gets all the raves. People like the Corvette's 8-speed, too. The jury is still out on the Chrysler 9-speed though.

Given the choice, I'll take the stick every time, but you rarely get the choice any more. I guess if someone gave me an M4 with a dual-clutch auto, I'd swallow my pride and take it.....

As the higher CAFE numbers kick in, expect to see the manual transmission essentially die. This really p**sses me off, because in REAL WORLD driving, a manual almost always beats an auto in MPG, especially if it is a slushbox auto, but the EPA test cycle favors an automatic. I almost never drive in stop and go traffic, so why shouldn't I be allowed to choose the transmission that gets the best mileage for me?

They do make the M4 in manual, just saying. I feel you though, I know a twin disc auto will be faster at shifting and what not but it won't be as engaging and take less skill.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
WHEELS/BRAKES:
Q: Why no carbon ceramic brakes?
A: I think you’ll find out later that affordability was a big part of this car.

Q: So keeping price down was a big part of that?
A: Yes. That was a priority with this car.

This Q&A from Jamal Hameedi makes me think that pricing will be closer to Boss or LS pricing than most of us are thinking. Assuming production numbers above 7,000/year, this shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe it's crazy, but I was really excited to hear that there weren't CCBs standard and that base/cloth interiors will be available!

I dont know yet. I didn't buy a boss but if i had the chance to buy a gt350 I might, but I still think I would still want a boss regardless of the GT350's amazing specs. But if its 65K and above I would seriously considering buying a GT3 even though its twice as much.

Grant 302 said:
This Q&A from Jamal Hameedi makes me think that pricing will be closer to Boss or LS pricing than most of us are thinking. Assuming production numbers above 7,000/year, this shouldn't be a problem.
Yea I'm now thinking my $60K entry point might be a kiss high. I don't think it will be below $55K though.

Grant 302 said:
Maybe it's crazy, but I was really excited to hear that there weren't CCBs standard and that base/cloth interiors will be available!
You're not the only one. Now if they had offered the rotors with slots instead of being drilled that would have been even better. But marketing departments want "cool" looking drilled rotors for the street. ;)

Grant 302 said:

Porsche has offered its PCCBs as a ultra-high cost option since 2000. In the P-car community opinions on PCCB are at best mixed, as expressed in an article "Life With PCCB" in the current issue of Porsche Panorama. At $17,800 to replace a worn set of PCCBs, according to the author, who regularly tracks his PCCB-shod Boxster S, "I learned a lot about brakes during my PCCB adventure. Would I order ceramic-composite brakes again? No. The cost/benefit ratio just isn't there for me."

TMO Supporting Vendors