The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT said:
boss1 said:
It is my first time on Carbotech. They sent me the XP20 and XP10. I have always run Pagid and been very happy with them.

I run Pagid R-29's up front. Love 'em.

I like Pagids too.
Where did you get them for your Boos & do you have a p/n? (& price paid??)
Many thanks in advance!

PS - Did you try orange?

GA
PeteInCT said:
My guess is because its better to have a leaf go in and get spit out instead of it blocking the air for a whole run missing cooling on one of your brake rotors.

That, and I have heard that if you live in a cold climate that it is recommended to plug up the inlets to the cooling ducts because the very cold air blasting on hot rotors can cause them to warp or crack.

Yes I understand that but what about the rubber parts from tires or rocks that fly back? My stock pads looked like they were showing some wear after 3 25 minute sessions....... Going easy...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
No screens needed for brake ducts; but if it gives you peace of mind, go ahead and add em.

Gary, oh man...I didn't realize you haven't had the opportunity to use TK on the TRACK yet! SOON.

ArizonaGT said:
No screens needed for brake ducts; but if it gives you peace of mind, go ahead and add em.

Gary, oh man...I didn't realize you haven't had the opportunity to use TK on the TRACK yet! SOON.
Yep 50s next week so we're getting close. That should melt the snow, then it's just getting some consistently wamer days in the 50s and 60s to get them to open the track. I'm ordering tires now and planning on swapping on rotors and pads this weekend along with fresh ATE Typ 200 Amber to flush the blue. WC splitter hopefully next week. Getting close!

Oh and JBG called me last night. 8)

ArizonaGT said:
I get to officially test TK on a track in two weeks. ;D

boss1 said:
Yes I understand that but what about the rubber parts from tires or rocks that fly back? My stock pads looked like they were showing some wear after 3 25 minute sessions....... Going easy...

I have had a busted windshield and a car that looks more black then yellow from rubber marks but never had a problem with the ducts wide open. I do use rubber plugs for non-track use.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
lbp said:
PeteInCT said:
boss1 said:
It is my first time on Carbotech. They sent me the XP20 and XP10. I have always run Pagid and been very happy with them.

I like Pagids too.
Where did you get them for your Boos & do you have a p/n? (& price paid??)
Many thanks in advance!

PS - Did you try orange?

I have only used R-19 and R-29 Yellows. I swear by them. Pagid only makes a front fitment at this time. Peter at Northstar is great to work with. You can check with him to see if Pagid came out with a rear fitment yet, they didn't as on Oct 2011.

Northstar Item Code: 2487 RS29
$294.00 + $10 ship

Peter S Sygieda - Sales Manager
Northstar Motorsports Inc.
28144 West industrial Ave
Suite 108
Barrington, IL 60010
800-356-2080
847-304-5615 fax
www.northstarmotorsports.com

PeteInCT said:
lbp said:
PeteInCT said:
boss1 said:

I like Pagids too.
Where did you get them for your Boss & do you have a p/n? (& price paid??)
Many thanks in advance!

PS - Did you try orange?

I have only used R-19 and R-29 Yellows. I swear by them. Pagid only makes a front fitment at this time. Peter at Northstar is great to work with. You can check with him to see if Pagid came out with a rear fitment yet, they didn't as on Oct 2011.

$294.00 + $10 ship

Suite 108
Barrington, IL 60010
800-356-2080
847-304-5615 fax

Thanks Pete. Much appreciated.
Are you using the stock rear pad?
Have you changed rotors?
I live in NJ, so perhaps we'll see each other at LR, Pocono, WG etc. some time this season.
- What is your first event?
Thanks again,
Lee.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
lbp said:
PeteInCT said:
lbp said:
PeteInCT said:
boss1 said:

I like Pagids too.
Many thanks in advance!

PS - Did you try orange?

$294.00 + $10 ship

Suite 108
Barrington, IL 60010
800-356-2080
847-304-5615 fax

Have you changed rotors?
I live in NJ, so perhaps we'll see each other at LR, Pocono, WG etc. some time this season.
Thanks again,
Lee.

I using Hawk DTC-60's now. I'm not too crazy about them, my rear rotor's have more wear on them than my fronts ! I'm going to switch to Carbotech XP-10's in the rears next time around. I'm still on the stock rotors, will be switching to 2 piece DBA's when they are ready. My first event is at LimeRock with NASA on Saturday 3/31. Since it's a weekend my son (still in college) will be driving also. NJ's not too far, maybe you can join us.

-Pete

PeteInCT said:
lbp said:
PeteInCT said:
lbp said:
PeteInCT said:
boss1 said:

I like Pagids too.
Many thanks in advance!

PS - Did you try orange?

$294.00 + $10 ship

Suite 108
Barrington, IL 60010
800-356-2080
847-304-5615 fax

Have you changed rotors?
Thanks again,
Lee.

I using Hawk DTC-60's now. I'm not too crazy about them, my rear rotor's have more wear on them than my fronts ! I'm going to switch to Carbotech XP-10's in the rears next time around. I'm still on the stock rotors, will be switching to 2 piece DBA's when they are ready. My first event is at LimeRock with NASA on Saturday 3/31. Since it's a weekend my son (still in college) will be driving also. NJ's not too far, maybe you can join us.

-Pete

I drive with Joe's group all the time!
You may have seen my 944 turbo (silver #400, big wing), running in the GTU class.
I'll try to make it for 3/31.
I'm trying to get some suspension into the 302 which might not be ready by 3/31, but might drive the 302 anyhow.
If there is a race that weekend, I'll bring the 944T.
Either way if there I'll watch for you.
Talk to you later Pete & thanks for the brake/info.
Lee.

Pete,
- Just signed up for HPDE3 @ LR 3/31 (no race).
Hope to see you there,
Lee.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Very happy with the PF01/97 combo so far. Only question now is how long will they last, but the 01s show almost no wear after one weekend, and the rears still look new after 4 weekends. Rotors are in good shape although I just switched to a new set of fronts since the hawks chewed up the old ones.

Anyone know what size the bolts are for the pencil brace/tranny scoop? Want to make sure I have the wrench before I head home today, so I don't have to scramble for one tomorrow. Is it the same size as the one for removing the baffles?

Yup the same box ratchet worked. It was a super easy install, the nuts were not on very tight. My nephew came over, I'm working on turning him into a car nut, and helped with the scoop and the 302S grill. I like how the grill looks unpainted on my PW, but I need to get a pony for it. Then I took him for a run over the mountains to the beach. Apparently his favorite car is the Ford GT.

IMG-20120303-00155.jpg

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I had my LS dyno'ed today - this is with TK and Airaid CAI installed. Very wet day with a Mustang dyno that has a reputation of being a little 'stingy' on its reads, so she did pretty well. Each pull was stronger than the last, I suspect if we were to keep going she might have gotten pretty close to 400 RWHP even on that dyno. Very nice broad curves, very smooth. I suspect that the Airaid CAI does what we thought, helps the curve plot over 4000 rpm but no peak gains. I would have liked to do an A/B against the stock CAI but had no time to do a switchout of the hardware.

2012Boss302LS.jpg

PS: Over 30 cars were dyno'ed today. Only only one to beat the Boss was a 'vette Z06 with a 7L big block with competition cams/heads. It pulled 520 RWHP @ 510 ft/lbs. It was a beast, but then again it's not stock and had 2L of displacement over the Boss.

TMO Supporting Vendors