The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jza1736 said:
Hate to see these cars wrecked, glad to hear the driver was ok

Hate hearing of wrecks too but if it could be yellow blaze and black it would reduce total #'s for the few there are....lol

Glad to hear no one was hurt, that's the most important thing!!

ArizonaGT said:
cloud9 said:
I've been running magnetic for years and never even had one move. At BIR I would hit 165 mph in my GT500 and had no problems whatsoever, even with one on the front edge of the roof. If the club you're running with requires a front number, you'll need one on the front edge of the roof since the hood is aluminum (or in my case fiberglass ;D)

Please post the link to purchase if you're getting those online. Good to know there is at least one brand that will stay attached.

Saw a Boss get wrecked today at the track, not mine or JBG's, but a sad day nonetheless. Looked salveageable but lots of damage.
No pics, no further details, don't ask.

On the plus side, set a new personal best at this track by 1 full second, and took SECOND :-/ in my time trials class, TWO TENTHS off of First place. Almost!
Had a local sign company make them.

Wow that really bites.

Congrats! Next time you'll get first! Any tire contingency for 2nd?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:

Wow that really bites.

Probably contingency if I were running Hoosiers, however I do not plan on doing that.

Quick results on Steeda bushing--better but not the solution. If I am very deliberate with my 2-3 shift then it's spot on.

ArizonaGT said:
cloud9 said:

Wow that really bites.

Probably contingency if I were running Hoosiers, however I do not plan on doing that.

Quick results on Steeda bushing--better but not the solution. If I am very deliberate with my 2-3 shift then it's spot on.
Wow that must be a tight track. I have yet to find a track where 2nd gear is needed/useful with the Boss gearing.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Lookin good. Where's JBG ???

Yeah, this particular track is short, only 1.1 miles. I could get by using just 3rd gear and a little bit of 4th on the straight, but 2nd really helps squirt out of the tight corners.

JBG chewed up his tires on Friday and had some clients in-town to entertain, so he packed it up without running today (Saturday). He's got some fresh hoosiers inbound, so he should be back next month.

ArizonaGT said:
cloud9 said:
Lookin good. Where's JBG ???

Yeah, this particular track is short, only 1.1 miles. I could get by using just 3rd gear and a little bit of 4th on the straight, but 2nd really helps squirt out of the tight corners.

JBG chewed up his tires on Friday and had some clients in-town to entertain, so he packed it up without running today (Saturday). He's got some fresh hoosiers inbound, so he should be back next month.
Yikes that is short. BIR is 3.1 miles and 10 turns ;D The "short" tracks around here are MPH 2.15 with 12 turns and MAM 2.3 and 15 turns. Can't wait to get on Road America in June at 4+ miles and 14 turns.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Yikes that is short. BIR is 3.1 miles and 10 turns ;D The "short" tracks around here are MPH 2.15 with 12 turns and MAM 2.3 and 15 turns. Can't wait to get on Road America in June at 4+ miles and 14 turns.

Bleh anyone can drive those big, famous, fast tracks! :)

I would love to drive some of those some day.

drano38

Wayne
What? No winter mod posts today? With 5 inches of snow on top of the rain/sleet/ice we got yesterday, its winter for sure in SD!

Carbotech brake pads and ATE TPE 200 fluid showed up yesterday.
Strano said his toys are on my way.
Took the wheels off the Dakota this evening to ensure the brake pads were in good shape for towing the Boss this summer. I'm pretty mellow on brakes, so even at 65,000 miles on the factory pads, they're still good to go.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
No mods lately, got a set of adjustable swaybar endlinks for later, they are gathering dust in the garage for now.

Looking forward in the budget to see where I can fit in a T56 Magnum & the related accessories... :eek:

Ok, my first round includes track key, trans scoop, brake cooling ducts, MM Camber plates, 18" Enkei PFO1 black, Hoosier R6 295/275, Boss 302 S grille, Carbotech pads and SRF fluid.

Question: Why dont the brake ducts have screens and are they needed?

Thanks.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
My guess is because its better to have a leaf go in and get spit out instead of it blocking the air for a whole run missing cooling on one of your brake rotors.

drano38

Wayne
boss1 said:
Ok, my first round includes track key, trans scoop, brake cooling ducts, MM Camber plates, 18" Enkei PFO1 black, Hoosier R6 295/275, Boss 302 S grille, Carbotech pads and SRF fluid.

Thanks.

Looks like you're ready for track season with those mods. What pads did you get? I ran XP10/XP8 last year, and will switch to RP2 on the front this year.
I haven't heard of anyone running screens on the brake cooling ports while on the track.
I keep mine plugged for daily driving. Here's a thread on how I did it for about $10.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/brake-duct-port-covers-made-499783/

It is my first time on Carbotech. They sent me the XP20 and XP10. I have always run Pagid and been very happy with them.

boss1 said:

Thanks.
Jealous!!!! 20 track days last year......all with the black key......here I sit in the snow and you Boss newbies are running Trackey! ;D

Well I ran trackey last time but did not know how work it properly. Cant wait to trit out with everything shut off!!!

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
boss1 said:
It is my first time on Carbotech. They sent me the XP20 and XP10. I have always run Pagid and been very happy with them.

I run Pagid R-29's up front. Love 'em.

TMO Supporting Vendors