The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
ArizonaGT said:
The part people usually complain about is getting the hoses onto the spindle ducts; we did this in less than 5 mins for both hoses by spraying a little WD40 inside the mating part of the hose, then pressing the spindle duct into the hose using a screwing motion.

Getting hoses on can be a pain. IMO I wouldn't/didn't use any WD-40 since it makes it too easy for the hoses to slip off once they are on. I made cuts into the spindle ducts to reduce it's diameter slightly, there are pics on the 'net describing this. You will need to adjust the mounting of the horns on the drivers side, they will be in the way. Also some people have had issues with the windshield washer tank on the passenger side. I also foind tha the hoses do not like to stay on the grile intake ports either, I used some additional tie-wraps to help insure they did not back out since just tightening the clamps just forces the hose to pop off on it's own.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Nor-cal Boss said:
steveespo said:
9f0fe312.jpg
Carbon fiber/FRP decklid, really nice piece, shame to paint it but the top will be WB red and the rest Performance White with blackout vinyl. RTR aluminum spoiler.

Steve, where did you find the carbon fiber decklid? I've been looking for one for months.
NorCal
Got it here
http://www.trucarbon.net/Trucarbon_Mustang_Carbon_Fiber_Trunk_Lid_p/tc10025-cs3.htm

Cost me $85 for shipping but you are in CA so it will be much less for you. Came in 1 week, really packaged well and really nice quality. Haven't had a chance to weigh it or fit it yet but it feels like a 20 lb savings. The inner frame is FRP and very smooth CF is flawless and has a UV urethane finish. Rick(5 DOT 0) gave me a link to CJ Pony parts but they want $950 for it.
Steve

Georgia
CaliMR said:
The bezel isn't shown as included in the brake kit. Did you buy it directly from them? I went with latemodelrestoration since I had heard good things about them and I'm cheap.

Have you already received it and it wasn't included or are you simply looking at the pics on the web site?

I recently purchased mine from Ford Racing and the bezels were included. I am assuming the early guys had to get theirs shipped after the fact and FRPP are now including it with the kit.

steveespo said:
Nor-cal Boss said:
steveespo said:
9f0fe312.jpg
Carbon fiber/FRP decklid, really nice piece, shame to paint it but the top will be WB red and the rest Performance White with blackout vinyl. RTR aluminum spoiler.

Steve, where did you find the carbon fiber decklid? I've been looking for one for months.
NorCal
Got it here
http://www.trucarbon.net/Trucarbon_Mustang_Carbon_Fiber_Trunk_Lid_p/tc10025-cs3.htm

It is beautiful, but seems to be the wrong place to lose weight, IMHO.
Too bad the CF Tiger hood isn't a finished piece.
Between the 2 & an Odyssey 680 battery it would make more sense (to me).
I think Tiger may be missing the boat on their CF Hood (which is otherwise also a beautiful piece)...

Cost me $85 for shipping but you are in CA so it will be much less for you. Came in 1 week, really packaged well and really nice quality. Haven't had a chance to weigh it or fit it yet but it feels like a 20 lb savings. The inner frame is FRP and very smooth CF is flawless and has a UV urethane finish. Rick(5 DOT 0) gave me a link to CJ Pony parts but they want $950 for it.
Steve

PeteInCT said:
Getting hoses on can be a pain. IMO I wouldn't/didn't use any WD-40 since it makes it too easy for the hoses to slip off once they are on. I made cuts into the spindle ducts to reduce it's diameter slightly, there are pics on the 'net describing this. You will need to adjust the mounting of the horns on the drivers side, they will be in the way. Also some people have had issues with the windshield washer tank on the passenger side. I also foind tha the hoses do not like to stay on the grile intake ports either, I used some additional tie-wraps to help insure they did not back out since just tightening the clamps just forces the hose to pop off on it's own.

I did not receive it yet, I'm just trying to figure out what I will need before I try to install them. Another possibility is notching a ring around the outside of the bezel for the clamps to grab into. Won't help get them on, but it would help them stay on.

CaliMR said:
PeteInCT said:

I did not receive it yet, I'm just trying to figure out what I will need before I try to install them. Another possibility is notching a ring around the outside of the bezel for the clamps to grab into. Won't help get them on, but it would help them stay on.

...Hot soapy water or silicon lubricant??

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
PeteInCT said:

Understand what you are getting at, but seriously? The hose clamps are there to keep the duct on, even with WD40 you're not going to force it over the ridge in the backing plate. As long as you account for travel of the suspension and wheel angle when installing the hoses, you'll have no issues w/ the hoses coming off.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Dean#4AI said:
I was just about to ask you what size you ran since the 40's are real close to the same diameter as stock.
Thanks for the info!

No problem. Just remember that with the square setup you will need to install an adjustable rear bar to get the car back to neutral, as the front end will have more grip vs stock.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I think Tiger may be missing the boat on their CF Hood (which is otherwise also a beautiful piece)...

I have the Tiger fiberglass hood which is -18 lbs on the front, already have an optima in the trunk which with the cables and aluminum box is a net zero weight loss but a 35 lb transfer from over the right front to the right rear. Also have a Driveshaft Shop aluminum drive shaft which is -23 lbs, light weight aluminum front bumper bar and steeda Chrome Moly radiator support which is another -20 lbs off the front. My DBs rotors are -10 lbs. All in all about -95 lbs from stock. Like I said in a prior post if the driver could lose 35 it would help too.
Steve

ArizonaGT said:
Dean#4AI said:
I was just about to ask you what size you ran since the 40's are real close to the same diameter as stock.
Thanks for the info!

No problem. Just remember that with the square setup you will need to install an adjustable rear bar to get the car back to neutral, as the front end will have more grip vs stock.

Yeah, I've heard, so I'll probably go for the rear strano bar.

I've been thinking about some lowering springs and it seems that Steeda is the only ones that are Boss specific. I know Ford Racing is supposed to be coming out with a set in the near future though and will wait for those.
From what I have gathered, the Steeda springs will cause the car to understeer a little so I'm wondering if it will even things out with the square stetup. I guess there is no way of knowing without tryin it.

steveespo said:

I have the Tiger fiberglass hood which is -18 lbs on the front, already have an optima in the trunk which with the cables and aluminum box is a net zero weight loss but a 35 lb transfer from over the right front to the right rear. Also have a Driveshaft Shop aluminum drive shaft which is -23 lbs, light weight aluminum front bumper bar and steeda Chrome Moly radiator support which is another -20 lbs off the front. My DBs rotors are -10 lbs. All in all about -95 lbs from stock. Like I said in a prior post if the driver could lose 35 it would help too.
Steve

Steve,
That sounds really nice.
I thought to keep a smaller (13#) battery up front as to eliminate the weight of lengthy cabling.
..I too like the alu DS.
I weigh in at about 150#, so no luck there!!
Thanks for posting.
I have many decisions to make over the next 30 days or so.
Lee.

PS - do you have a link for the Steeda bracket & brake parts?
Thx.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Dean#4AI said:
From what I have gathered, the Steeda springs will cause the car to understeer a little so I'm wondering if it will even things out with the square stetup. I guess there is no way of knowing without tryin it.

You would be the guinea p...err, pioneer! :)

ArizonaGT said:
Dean#4AI said:

I thought that was Gary's job? ;D

5 DOT 0 said:
ArizonaGT said:
Dean#4AI said:

Can't get my Aeroforce gauge to read oil temp right now. Not in the mood to guinea pig anything else just yet :mad:

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Did u check if u r getting any voltage off of it? Try to isolate problem to pressure sensor or to gauge.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Can't get my Aeroforce gauge to read oil temp right now. Not in the mood to guinea pig anything else just yet :mad:
Give it a few technical taps! :)

Just popped out to the track for a little bit before my last meeting at work, spoke to JBG for a while there, he is enjoying the therapeutic aspects of a weekend at the track. Gorgeous weather today too. 76* and sunny! I'm headed out there tomorrow to flog the car :)
5 DOT 0 said:

hehehe

ArizonaGT said:
cloud9 said:
Give it a few technical taps! :)

Just popped out to the track for a little bit before my last meeting at work, spoke to JBG for a while there, he is enjoying the therapeutic aspects of a weekend at the track. Gorgeous weather today too. 76* and sunny! I'm headed out there tomorrow to flog the car :)
5 DOT 0 said:

hehehe
Tell JBG hey for me ;D

Ordered the World Challenge Splitter and it cost me a set of Competition Orange stilettos! :mad:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

drano38

Wayne
cloud9 said:
Ordered the World Challenge Splitter and it cost me a set of Competition Orange stilettos! :mad:

Sounds like a couple great winter mods. Do the shoes have a Boss logo?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel