The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I don't use 2nd on any of the four tracks I've run with the Boss the way our gearing and trans ratios are set. It's all 3-5 and one track only 3-4.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
To be honest, I don't have any problem with the stock ratios, but the trans isn't going to hold up long-term for what I need to use it for.

But with TracKey, the car can pull hard from 3000RPM, so I'm very interested in the T56M. It's not for everybody, though.

ArizonaGT said:
To be honest, I don't have any problem with the stock ratios, but the trans isn't going to hold up long-term for what I need to use it for.

But with TracKey, the car can pull hard from 3000RPM, so I'm very interested in the T56M. It's not for everybody, though.

Just curious as to why you are assuming this transmission isn't going to hold up. Some people have made some pretty serious power numbers on them and they don't seem to breaking a lot. I know some people are having problems with this transmission, but I have seen very few examples of broken MT-82s.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
bolecailey said:
Just curious as to why you are assuming this transmission isn't going to hold up. Some people have made some pretty serious power numbers on them and they don't seem to breaking a lot. I know some people are having problems with this transmission, but I have seen very few examples of broken MT-82s.

The issues with shifting into 3rd is going to destroy the synchros over time, plus the amount of fluid in the trans is minimal and is also going to contribute to synchro degradation as well.

Plus the 302S and 302R both use variants of the 6060; even Ford knows that the additional durability is necessary if you're going to get serious about track time.

[/quote]

Ive gone through two transmissions in 1 month. Neither lasted more than 1 track day. I thought the first was a fluke but now I am sure something is wrong with the set up. My problems started as lock out between 3-4 and 4-5 usually shifting between 7-7500 rpm in a straight line. Then as the day went on shifts got harder until finally they were grinding. 1st tranny started grinding 6th. 2nd tranny started grinding 5th. I think it is possibly a clutch issue at first and then manifests as a transmission problem in the end..... Ford is taking apart the transmission now so we will see.
I have been tracking cars for 10 years and am a certified instructor. I instruct with 4 different groups. My last 6 track cars were all Porsche. Some street cars, some race cars. Not one transmission problem in ANY of them. Now I dont know how to shift a car on the track??? I dont think so. There is an issue here and it will become more evident with these cars as time and numbers on the track go up.

That sucks. I have had minimal issues with third gear lockout on the track and street. It has happened to me a few times, but I didn't get any grinding because I use minimal pressure. I have had the clutch fail to return once on the street and once on the track, I do plan to take to the dealer eventually about the clutch failing to return. I also suspect these problems are really a clutch problem. I honestly have no clue if transmission temperatures are going to be a problem on this car. My E46 M3 with a Getrag (I know it is not the same transmission) in it and has the same fluid capacity and people aren't having problems with temperatures that I have ever seen and people have tracked the crap out of those cars. Please keep us updated on what Ford has to say about your transmission.

Torque probably isn't what will kill them, it is heat build up. It is pretty common problem with some transmissions. I don't know enough about this particular one to know if it is an issue, but given the problems they have shown already (and especially if people are using the thinner replacement fluid) it seems like it is a possibility. Have people in GTs been having issues? They have been out a couple years now with the 5.0 so that would be a good place to start as they have similar outputs. The amount of fluid is not the issue in itself, in my import days it was usually a lack of cooling combined with thin gears or sleeves. Drag racing and circuit driving at totally different types of strain, too. So people making big power but not running hard, long track sessions (I don't know what people are doing, maybe they are) isn't necessarily a sign that the tranny is strong in circuit use.

But for what I do with the car, I'm pretty sure it is plenty strong enough.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I was so impressed with the handling in the 3 track days I was able to get in with my LS before the end of the season running on the stock Corsa's, I can't wait to see how she does with some negative camber dialed in. Gary has some great things to say about the differences.

Are you running them at -2.7 degrees ?

I could only get -2.4 but I am happy with the car at that. I think I am at +7 for caster. Right were you want to be. I believe Gary had to drill his strut towers out a bit to get that....

adam81 said:
I could only get -2.4 but I am happy with the car at that. I think I am at +7 for caster. Right were you want to be. I believe Gary had to drill his strut towers out a bit to get that....
He did hog the lower hole in the strut just a bit when I initially had the camber bolts installed. I might be picking up a couple tenths from that.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
not sure if they quilify as winter mods as I bought my car on march 2nd but I have bought the following:
MMD hood struts (hate hood prop rod)
K&N drop in Air Filter
3/4" and 1/2" side pipe plates
llyod "boss 302" floor mats

Planing to buy soon:
Curb alert sensor from american muscle (GF parking car protection)
Windows tinted
Alum Driveshaft
Lower Control Arms (depends on how it acts at the drag strip if I will get these)
GT500 mufflers
Bob white Boss 302 third brake light decal
Track Key

Dean#4AI said:
Naw, I gotta let go of that compeditive stuff. It'll only get me in trouble.

I keep telling my self - Just have fun, just have fun, just have fun.........d*** it he's gaining on me.....gas, gas, whoa.....gas, gas ;D

I fixed it for you!

*just giving you a hard time*

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel