The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

wrench for M-6731-FL820 ford performance oil filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello,

Does anyone know what wrench could work with M-6731-FL820 ford performance oil filter? It looks completely round but ford performance technician told me that there are aftermarket wrenches.

Thanks,

Vadim

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
It is completely round, so I don't know of any traditional wrenches that would work.
You could use a strap wrench or filter pliers with "teeth" to dig in. The filters don't need much torque to be tightened down properly, so I find that I can tighten it without really damaging it and when removing it doesn't matter if the outside gets a little scuffed.
Here is an example of filter pliers, most local parts/hardware stores should have one.
https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-filter-wrench/oem-oil-filter-pliers/548380_0

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
KD Tools 2029 should work for you. I have several different sizes of this type of filter wrench. I got off some filters that defied other tools.

Last edited:
Bay Area
Hello,

Does anyone know what wrench could work with M-6731-FL820 ford performance oil filter? It looks completely round but ford performance technician told me that there are aftermarket wrenches.

Thanks,

Vadim

What Ford dealer did you go to? I’m in the Bay Area and am looking for a good one and the ones to stay away from

What Ford dealer did you go to? I’m in the Bay Area and am looking for a good one and the ones to stay away from
I am not big on dealers in general, but I like Morgan Hills (got my car there), but it is far for me. Stay away from Frontier (Stevens Creek). Sunnyvale is kind of OK, way overpriced.

If you know a good dealer, would love to know :)

Last edited:
Bay Area
I’ve only used Towne Ford in Redwood City. They are OK but not sold on them as of yet. I’ve hear that Serramonte is good but I haven’t made the trip up that way to check them out.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
One other trick for the tough ones is to put a strip of rubber sheeting around the filter housing then slip your band type filter wrench over the rubber, the extra grip will usually do the trick. Almost all spin-on filters of the big truck or heavy equipment are smooth and you can bet the last guy that changed it cranked it on tight. I wish more would go with the canister type filters. If it is done right they are a lot less of a mess to change.

TMO Supporting Vendors