The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 @4o6racing Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Welcome to the club! ... but sorry about the trophy girl, she really had let herself go.

Also, if you could, bring that trophy to Round 4 at Auto Club on December 3rd, so we can try to swap you for the October 1st one :D
(guess we can blame the edibles)
I didn’t even realize the date was wrong until my wife noticed it. I thought maybe all of them were for December’s event but it looks like Shane’s had the October date. Looks like the pressure is on now if I want to keep this one and complete the set!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Streets of Willow CCW
Round 2 of Mustang Drivers Club

Weather couldn’t have been better (well maybe a bit warmer for the first session!). Great group of guys with @Hye Power, @Tri-bar, @5.2 liters of democracy, @Mach.334, @LIGISTX and I’m sure some others I’m missing. This tight, technical track proved be a great equalizer for the variety of Mustangs on the grid. MDC2 class had an S550, an SN95 and an S197 on the podium with 9 cars in class.

This was my second time at Streets, but first time running CCW. First session was cold - like 38 degrees cold and everyone was struggling the first couple laps. Settled in and turned 10 laps, with the fastest coming on lap 9. I thought for sure there was at least another second to be had in session 2. Still convinced it was there but never really found it because of issues with traffic. This track has a way of exposing setup issues with a car that otherwise go unnoticed on the bigger power tracks like ACS, Big Willow and even Buttonwillow. With that said, I’m absolutely thrilled with how the car handles after all of the suspension changes.

All in all a great day. My 1:23.3 held up for P3 and now tied for the season points lead at the midway point. Next race is ACS on Dec 3rd and the finale at Buttonwillow on Dec 18th. I have a feeling it’s going to be a dog fight until the end!

Running lead/follow with @Tri-bar
57D73BF2-449B-4949-80B2-68A1C61CDE27.jpeg
Here’s one with @5.2 liters of democracy
DDE13FC2-1507-4538-9AB6-238CB7AC669F.jpeg

32583663-7FAF-4F09-8FA5-8AAE4D20BE80.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
AutoClub Speedway
Round 3 of Mustang Drivers Club

All week the forecast was showing possibility of rain for Saturday. As the weekend got closer, Saturday’s forecast kept improving and ended up being absolutely perfect. We were missing some of our TMO regulars - some for mechanical troubles, and others that really don’t love running ACS.

MDC entrants were down to 15 cars, and a bit lopsided with 12 in MDC2 class and 3 in MDC1. I know there were way more than 15 Mustangs in the paddock, so our numbers were likely down without @PaddyPrix ‘s recruiting efforts.

Session 1 quickly went to black flag all on the out lap - one of the MDC1 cars dropped oil in the braking zone of the 2nd interior straightaway. Once we got back out and the cars sorted out a bit, I was able to get a flyer in for 1:49.4 - PB by 0.5 over last event, but unfortunately about 2 tenths out of first place for the MDC challenge. Session 2 was quickly halted with another black flag all when an older wedge style race car blew an outside front going through T2 on the banking. Somehow he kept it out off the wall, but the shrapnel from the blown tire destroyed the fiberglass front shell. Traffic was an issue the rest of the session and 1:49.5 was all I could get. P1 car didn’t improve either, so it was all going to come down to session 3.

With tire pressures dialed in, 68 degree weather at noon and no black flags, it was time to send it! 3 clean laps and made it count on lap 2 with a 1:48.6!!! P1 also improved by 3 tenths, but the 8 tenths was good to edge him out by less than 3 tenths for the W!!

As an added bonus for the day, I threw on a set of sticker 3R’s for session 4, with intent of a quick heat cycle and then letting them sit for 2 weeks until the next event. 7/10’s was the plan, but with perfect conditions, had to see what they had for 1 lap - took that PB down another 3 tenths to 1:48.3 Can’t wait for NASA in January - probably the last shot at this track and will go at it with A7’s. Never imagined this little stick axle S197 would be this deep into the 40’s on this track.

After 3 events, we’re seeing some familiar faces on the podium each event, and usually a different order amongst the 3 which makes this a lot of fun! Brad’s driving a really nice SN95 and Tommy is in a newer S550, which I think is really cool the series is this tight with 3 generations of Mustangs battling it out. With a 2 point series lead going into the final round at Buttonwillow in 2 weeks, should be an exciting finish to the year!

36F6F69E-9378-4542-A619-D8F07DB5CF28.jpeg
021076FC-226F-4937-9D64-BBFF2D84297D.jpeg

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
On what's likely the 2nd to last time out there, you're making real big strides and will definitely close it out strong. Wish I could be out there with you, but I guess that means you'll have to hit that hop on a flyer lap extra hard just for me... and if you don't, oh boy, we gonna have some beef.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
On what's likely the 2nd to last time out there, you're making real big strides and will definitely close it out strong. Wish I could be out there with you, but I guess that means you'll have to hit that hop on a flyer lap extra hard just for me... and if you don't, oh boy, we gonna have some beef.
I was thinking about you every trip through the 7-8 chicane🤣. You’ll be disappointed (but not surprised) to know that I still haven’t mustered up the cajones to go flat out through there! January on A7’s, full send, PaddyPrix style!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Where is the MDC event schedule? Or is it just every Speed Ventures event also has MDC?

Also, at least for the SoCal TMO members, is MDC the new SuperGT Cup as far as priority? I still feel partial to SGC just because that's where I started.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Where is the MDC event schedule? Or is it just every Speed Ventures event also has MDC?

Also, at least for the SoCal TMO members, is MDC the new SuperGT Cup as far as priority? I still feel partial to SGC just because that's where I started.
The schedule is on the MDC Facebook group that Speed Ventures created. Easiest way to get to it from their website, go to the competitions page and click the MDC logo. It’s not every event - I think they’ll try to do 1 event a month in 2023.

It’s a hard call on which way to go. I like MDC because of the laid back format, Speed Ventures runs a great track day and they’re all in SoCal. Also great to benchmark against other Mustangs, and I think their timing handicap seems to be pretty good.

SuperGT Cup seems to be waning a bit this year - could just be the events are so far spread out and 2 of them are in NorCal. Because they run a separate time trials group, these events run much more like a traditional time attack event. Timing is based on raw times, so you know exactly where you stand each session.

Between these 2 and NASA, I’ll have to make some decisions early in the year on which one(s) to commit to. NASA’s two day weekends once a month are a big time commitment that’s pretty hard to justify with young kids, but plan to run enough events to gauge progress. I’m hopeful those 2 day weekends will be future bonding time when my son is ready to get behind the wheel!

CA

The schedule is on the MDC Facebook group that Speed Ventures created. Easiest way to get to it from their website, go to the competitions page and click the MDC logo. It’s not every event - I think they’ll try to do 1 event a month in 2023.

It’s a hard call on which way to go. I like MDC because of the laid back format, Speed Ventures runs a great track day and they’re all in SoCal. Also great to benchmark against other Mustangs, and I think their timing handicap seems to be pretty good.

SuperGT Cup seems to be waning a bit this year - could just be the events are so far spread out and 2 of them are in NorCal. Because they run a separate time trials group, these events run much more like a traditional time attack event. Timing is based on raw times, so you know exactly where you stand each session.

Between these 2 and NASA, I’ll have to make some decisions early in the year on which one(s) to commit to. NASA’s two day weekends once a month are a big time commitment that’s pretty hard to justify with young kids, but plan to run enough events to gauge progress. I’m hopeful those 2 day weekends will be future bonding time when my son is ready to get behind the wheel!
I haven't done any MDC events, but have done a couple SuperGT cup events. I've been wanting to MDC, but recently moved to Norcal so getting out to socal without a truck and trailer is a bit sketch.

I like the idea of SuperGT cup more because it pits camaros, corvettes, etc against mustangs. It feels really good to outpace a 460hp brand new camaro in my 330hp stick axle car.. I also LOVE how SuperGT cup formats the day: 3 time attack sessions, and then 2 "fun run" sessions. I had literally the entirety of Buttonwillow all to myself for over an hour because of this. It was a Sunday event, and all the time attackers had left after the 3 time attack sessions. So I had two 30 minute sessions of being the only car out on track. I learned SO much that day. I still remember the feeling of being first in grid, expecting cars to line up behind me and...... no one came....Unreal.

I haven't dug into the points calculator for MDC, but the calculator for Supergt cup has been refined quite a bit and makes the racing fair IMO. They listened to feedback really well and made adjustments accordingly.

The best answer is to do both: seat time is king, and Speed Ventures offers quality seat time, as does Ongrid (when in time attack format).

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Well, I was so excited after Sunday’s event I couldn’t wait to share the results. But to truly tell the story of last weekend, it’s necessary to go back to the Sunday before. I’ve never done 3 track days on 3 consecutive weekends, so I knew that December’s schedule was aggressive for me.

After the car ran flawlessly at AutoClub on the 1st, it was on to Buttonwillow for the final round of SuperGT Cup. I missed a few events at the beginning of the year during the engine rebuild, and quite honestly wasn’t very competitive in the 2 events that I made. This weekend was about getting back towards the top end of the Mod class. I changed rear rotors and bled the brakes to prep, but failed to roll under the car for my normal bolt check. After loading the car on the trailer Saturday night, I was super frustrated to find a puddle of oil on the garage floor when I was packing up the last few items. I suspected a loose AN fitting on the oil cooler lines, so decided to deal with it at the track in the morning. Oh yeah, and a rare SoCal rain in the overnight forecast…

Torrential rains for the 2.5 hours of the 3 hour tow, but was pleasantly surprised that it had stopped raining at the track. Jacked the car up and checked the oil cooler lines. All tight, so leak source still a mystery. Since the track was still partially wet and low 40’s, I opted for the Conti ECF’s as a safe session 1 tire. It was the right choice, and managed a 2:00 lap towards the end of the session. Still couldn’t pinpoint the oil leak, which I could tell was down low and towards the front. Only left a few drops after 1st session, no smoke or oil on the exhaust, so decided to run session 2. Swapped on the Goodyear 3R’s and sent it. Pulled off a 1:58 on lap 2, but the rest of the session was wasted with a Camaro that thought it was NASCAR tryout day. I’ve learned to enjoy pushing guys that think they want to be in front….until they don’t. Clutch pedal went to the floor and stuck on the upshift into Riverside. Pulled the pedal back up with my toe, and somehow it worked to get back into gear. Idled it back to the pits. By now, oil had worked its way into the serp belt and was making a horrible squeal. The Buttonwillow curse was alive and well. The 1:58 held up for a P3 finish, and the top 3 were within a second. New PB, and competitive in Mod again with a very fast @navseng - mission for the day accomplished, albeit at a cost. It was now clear that I had a lot of work ahead of me to make the final Mustang Drivers Club event in 6 days.

On the drive home, I recalled reading about @captdistraction chasing a similar oil leak. The Ford assembly manual says nothing about installing the seal with a slight recess to the timing cover. The Rotunda install tool has the depth built into it, so not an issue if your using the factory tool. Pulled the harmonic balancer, and sure enough, the seal was clearly damaged from not being pressed in far enough.

F29AC2CA-D1AC-46FA-8100-2CE00F5DCCAA.jpeg

With the oil leak taken care of, it was time to drop the transmission and see what broke in the clutch. Unfortunately, I have gotten pretty efficient with pulling the trans in this thing. Tear down revealed the GT500 slave cylinder gave up the ghost with a bang, leaving ball bearings, shrapnel and brake fluid all over in the bellhousing. Pulled the clutch and flywheel for inspection, which was all good.

On Tuesday I was out in Camarillo for work, so I stopped by MMR’s shop to grab a couple things. Greg gave me a tour of the shop, and I was blown away to see they mill most of their own parts in-house on several Haas cnc mills. Oil pump gears, timing chain guides, composite manifolds, etc. Very cool. I noticed a Coyote pulse ring that had just came off the mill - freshly cut from a billet steel puck. I had no idea they made these, and since I was pulling the clutch this week, now was the time to swap it. Comparing that piece to the CobraJet pulse ring, well, there’s really no comparison. CNC precision vs stamped steel. I’m convinced this will eliminate the random misfire codes that I was still getting with the CJ ring.

https://www.modularmotorsportsracin...page=product_info&cPath=26_27&products_id=958

Got everything back together late Friday night with just a few details to take care of on Saturday. Made the early trek north again, this time keeping an eye on the fog and freezing temps. The conditions proved challenging with multiple red flagged sessions for 3 rollovers (right??) and at least 2 cars tagging the wall. Despite all that, patience early in the session was rewarded with high grip levels and a very peppy engine in the brisk temps. I was over the moon running a 1:56 in session 2, knowing there was more in it. Went back out for session 3, gridded in P1 from the previous session’s times. Took advantage of the clear track, and laid down a couple 1:55 laps. For reference, the P2-P5 cars on the timing chart above are track prepped Shelby GT350’s. Beyond any expectations I could ever have, especially with prior bad luck at this track. The curse is officially broken!!

If you’ve made it this far, you’re a trooper! The long winded posts are mostly a journal of sorts that I can refer back to later. But if a few of you enjoy reading them, then that’s a bonus. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
AutoClub Speedway - Jan 14th & 15th
NASA TT Season Opener

Driving in the wet. We don't get days like this often, and honestly, I like it that way. The Conti ECF is not a great choice for a rain tire. As session 2 quickly moved from really wet to standing water, they were borderline undriveable. Here's a fun little catch at 90+mph coming onto the banking. That was enough for the day. Settled for a P4 out of 5 cars, glad the car was still in one piece and ready for another day.

The rain let up early Sunday morning, and it looked like the first 3 sessions would stay relatively dry. I stayed on the Conti's for the first session, hoping it would dry out enough by the 2nd to throw on a set of sticker A7's. Session 2 was mostly dry, so A7's it was. The playground area still had a very narrow line through the remaining lakes, making a PB highly unlikely - just needed to be faster than the class. Went 1:50.5, which was P2 in class, 0.6 out of the lead. With rain drops hitting the windshield during session 3 grid, hopes were fading. The track stayed dry just long enough to get a good flyer in and improved down to a PB of 1:48.001 and P1 by 1.14 seconds! Really excited to finally place 1st in NASA TT, and with 6 cars in class the win was good for 2 free A7's - major score!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Buttonwillow Raceway - Jan 28th
Mustang Drivers Club season opener

After breaking the Buttonwillow curse in December, I was eager to see if that was a one-time deal. Speed Ventures made a few off-season tweaks to the class calculator, aimed at tightening the group up based on data from the 4 events in 2022. As you can see by the final results below, it seems the handicap system worked pretty well for the MDC2 group. P1 thru P3 were separated by a second, with only 7 hundredths between 2nd & 3rd. This series is going to be very interesting in 2023!

MDC Standings-Rd 1 2023.jpg

Wasn't quite a PB but backed up the 1:55.6 from December. Now instead of dreading Buttonwillow, I can't wait to go back!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Streets of Willow (CW) - February 12th
Round 1 of SuperGT Cup

Second time driving SOW in the CW direction. Last time was in the June heat, on the old suspension and less sticky tires, so I was hopeful for a big improvement in time. PB was 1:24.9 coming in. Thrilled with a 1:21.9 from 1st session, feeling like there was more to be had. The car was very consistent, running 1:21.9 in the 2nd session and then a tiny improvement to 1:21.8 in the 3rd. The Mod Class with SuperGT is insanely competitive. When I realized there were two C7 Corvettes in our class, I knew it was going to be a tough podium. I ultimately landed in P4, missing the podium by 7 tenths to Tommy Seth-Hunter in his S550. P1 was a C7 on coilovers and P2 a C7 Grand Sport. I’ve been busy reviewing videos trying to find that 1.1 seconds that it’s going to take to get past these bowtie boys next round!

A2E3E97F-1664-4FA9-BE61-056BC51C8985.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Big Willow - February 25th
Rd 2 of Mustang Drivers Club

It seems Big Willow is a love/hate track for drivers. Some love the thrill of its high speed sweepers. Others hate it for the exact same features. I’ve often heard it dismissed as “non-technical” because it only has 9 corners, however the more laps I’ve turned here, I tend to disagree. The combination of turns 3 thru 6 have just about every variation of corner there is, combined with an elevation change that is underrated.

So how do you make a track that’s known for white-knuckled speeds through 8 & 9 more exciting?? Add SNOW, of course!!

The drive to the track was already an adventure. I had convinced myself multiple times on Friday that I was going to skip it. And shortly thereafter would remind myself I’m from Montana and there’s no way I was going to wimp out on a little snow.

849DDA09-C2C3-4561-B7C6-A6EF881CF4A7.jpeg

@Tri-bar and 2 other Mustangs were the only other dummies that braved the weather for our MDC group. It’s going to be a battle all year between Ashley and I, and Saturday was no different! In the end, his tire strategy paid off when a dry line formed in session 2. He was on the Re71RS for all 3 sessions. I started the day on a set of Potenza S-04 Pole Positions that I’ve kept around for rain tires. They were perfect for session 1 with standing water, and confirmed that I most likely left a podium on the table at ACS last month with NASA in similar conditions. I left them on for session 2, not expecting it to dry out that quickly. Made the change to 3R’s for session 3, hoping for the sunshine to stick around for the remainder of the afternoon. As luck would have it, the sky turned dark just as quickly as the sun came out earlier. As I sat on grid, a few rain drops on the windshield turned into more, and by lap 2 the track had gone back to mostly wet. All good, happy with P2 and a straight car, and really happy to see @Tri-bar grab the top step of the podium!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel