The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A funny thing happened to my brakes at the race track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
IMG_9032.png

https://youtu.be/rtFrtgdaCnQ

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I cracked my rotors on Friday at Laguna Seca. Third day for these rotors. Got hairline cracks coming from the inside of the rotor across the face on both right and left front rotors. Ugh. But did you have any problems with sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Surfergeek said:
I cracked my rotors on Friday at Laguna Seca. Third day for these rotors. Got hairline cracks coming from the inside of the rotor across the face on both right and left front rotors. Ugh. But did you have any problems with sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Car was TOO quiet. I may be able to forgo the trombone all together, but we shall see about that.
Also, I ran my tires @ 32psi and they worked perfectly. I always over inflate them in the shop and then lower them @ the track when I get there but it was raining so I didn't bother. Then as it dried out and I actually got some laps the car felt surprisingly good. Probably go even lower next time.

Thank you all for the great advise!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Mad Hatter said:
Do you think you cooked the calipers again? Your discs look like they ran without pads!

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
I don't think so, there was no failure, I just noticed when we pulled it out of the trailer yesterday that the brakes were dragging again so I pulled a wheel and this is what I found. I haven't taken it apart yet but I'm sure I'll find the pads wedged in the calipers again. I think these calipers distort under heavy use and smash the pad opening because this is the 3rd set of calipers/pads/rotors in a row to do this. You saw my video where the Pagid pads fit nice into the caliper and even after bedding the brakes in on the street the brakes were still free. After some track time we are once again back to square one. I am beyond frustrated.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I think you need to look at some decent calipers! Too much at stake. My Boss Brembos have been worked hard and they keep on stopping. Maybe those S550 15" brembos could be a great upgrade.

could it not be the calipers and maybe the hoses or do our cars have brake proportioning valves?
I'm not a brake expert so please don't shoot me. My comments may be worthless but I just wanted to throw it out there to help.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
superhero said:
could it not be the calipers and maybe the hoses or do our cars have brake proportioning valves?
I'm not a brake expert so please don't shoot me. My comments may be worthless but I just wanted to throw it out there to help.

I think this is worth looking into as the calipers may have distorted, (out-of-round), piston bores, and/or pistons. This could cause a brake pad non-release condition. It's hard to say for sure on this one as it has been an
ongoing issue.

Keep us posted on your findings,
302 Hi Pro

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
What I think is happening is the calipers distort under heavy braking and scrunch the pads in there and won't let them retract, so they drag and overheat. I'm 99% positive that's what's going on. I called the shop I bought the brakes from and he's trying to find a solution. If nothing else, I can buy a used set of stoptech 4 piston calipers/rotors for 2400.00 off a wrecked spec mustang. I'm thinking about that a lot right now.

$2400 for USED Stoptech 4 piston calipers and rotors? Seriously??

You can get NEW Brembo 4 piston calipers and rotors from Vorshlag. See their "14 inch Brembo front brake upgrade kit" in the S197 brakes section.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_280&products_id=598

That said, I guess if you need racing spec brakes and nothing else will do, then you might have to spend that kind of cash. But I was under the impression that even ArizonaBOSS was running stock Brembo calipers on his race car (please correct me if I'm wrong).

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)

Fabman said:
What I think is happening is the calipers distort under heavy braking and scrunch the pads in there and won't let them retract, so they drag and overheat. I'm 99% positive that's what's going on. I called the shop I bought the brakes from and he's trying to find a solution. If nothing else, I can buy a used set of stoptech 4 piston calipers/rotors for 2400.00 off a wrecked spec mustang. I'm thinking about that a lot right now.
I had that setup on my car and it worked very well. Keep in mind those rotors are 35mm wide not 32mm. This setup but with 4 piston calipers.

http://cortexracing.com/product/stoptech-str40-355-x-35mm-s197-spec-mustang-brake-system/

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@kcbrown I upgraded to the 15" Brembo Race kit and FTBR 13" rear rotors in January this year.

OEM Brembos may work (for a time) with @Fabman's power levels, but I'm guessing he will be going through pads pretty quick.

My suggestion, which I have offered to those that aren't ready (or don't need) to upgrade to a 14 or 15" Brembo race kit is to take a serious look at the Wilwood AERO6 race offerings. They are modestly priced, the consumable replacement costs are relatively low, and you can run a 20mm thick pad.
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront.aspx?itemno=140-13882-N&year=2012&make=Ford&model=Mustang&option=Boss+302

StopTech stuff is also very good and rebuildable, but consumable costs are a bit higher than Wilwood (but lower than Brembo).

Vorshlag also has offerings from Powerbrake now as well, but I do not have experience with those.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I must admit I really like the idea of the S550 15" brembos with 2014 GT500 discs. Looks like a affordable way to upgrade. I Looked up Steves list and it really is a 900 buck upgrade.

With all that HP I think a 15" brake is a must for Fabman.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Mad Hatter said:
I must admit I really like the idea of the S550 15" brembos with 2014 GT500 discs. Looks like a affordable way to upgrade. I Looked up Steves list and it really is a 900 buck upgrade.

With all that HP I think a 15" brake is a must for Fabman.
I wonder if that will fit in my wheels?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel