The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

A7 vs R7 pros and cons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi, our V8 club down here in Chile got off to a great start last year taking the club title and top car in several categories. Three of the 7 cars are Mustangs, two GT's and My boss. Three are Zl1's and a totally track ready Camaro SS. We are all trying to graduate to Hoosiers this year and we have a heated debate over using A7 or R7 tires. Our track sessions are rarely ever more then 10 min long, with the fastest lap counting for eliminations (4 to 5 sessions), then again same idea for the final with 7 or 10 cars on the track each going out 10 seconds apart. The final is usually no more then 7 min long.

From what Hoosier recommends, I would think the A7 tire would be better for us. But my buddies have the idea that tire life would be to short. As it is, to be competitive in such a short time, the R6's of some of the cars use low tire pressures like 34psi hot in our heavy cars.

Does any one have hands on experience between the A7 and R7??

Two years ago, not one American muscle car was competing here in Chile Time attack series. It was all Japanese or German. Now its great to see these cars growling their way to the podium on a regular basis. Barely ever see a M3 any more :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sounds like what we call "Time Trials" here in the US. You'll want the "A" tires so they're ready to lay down a fast lap the second you hit the track.

They won't last as long as the "R"s but your session time is short so you'll probably heat cycle them out before you burn them up.

I completely agree the "A" would be the weapon of choice for that short of an event, keep in mind the first 3 laps on a tire will be it's best, a slight drop off from there then a long ..fairly consistent adhesion then a final fall off in traction.
good to see some muscle cars moving in on import territory

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Now I guess I have an answer as to why me friends R6 lasted longer then my nittos. They never really get to temperature.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel