The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

adjustable a-arm - why and how?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duane Black

Curbs go brrrppp
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Durham, NC
So I was in another thread about adjustable BMR a-arms ,I found a set on BMR's "scratch and dent" policy with hte standard ball joint, and I ordered a set!

It's the adjustable type that eliminates one bushing. Now my quesiton is - should I actually adjust it beyond where the factory one is set? What are the pros and cons?

I'm guessing a pro is it adds a little bit more negative camber - apparently that's always a positive on an S197. I currently have about -2.5. I'm guessing extending the a-arm by a quarter inch or even less may add another half degree of camber?

Is this correct? Or is all this adjustability really only something you need to worry about once you have other magic like coil overs?

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
If it's the AA010R-SD arms you're looking at, it looks like the adjustment you get is for caster only. Camber adjustability is mostly provided by an adjustable front pivot, caster normally by adjustability at the rear pivot.

If it's more camber you're looking for, I think you'd need to be looking at the 019, 022, or 026 arms.

You need not look past a need for more camber that you can't get by other means, though I suspect that bumpsteer would be affected as well (no idea how much).

Norm

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
OK, so you've got adjustability for both camber and caster. I wasn't seeing that combination in SD (scratch/dent) on BMR's site.

Camber will be at the rod end, and caster will be at the slots for the rear mounting. Camber changes probably won't affect caster by enough to matter, but changing caster probably will change camber a little, so you may be in for a bit of chasing your tail trying to get them both set to where you want them.

Norm

TMO Supporting Vendors