The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Advice 12 or 13 boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It depends on what color '13 you want, too. If you want School Bus Yellow, it's not going to be nearly as valuable as the Tri-Blaze Boss because based on my predictions, that's going to be the most sold color.

Sesshomurai

Boss3o2 said:
Sesshomurai said:
Well, the '13's have everything the 12's do plus a lot more. Just look at the list. HID headlights, sync, 4.5" display with track apps. functional heat extractors. prolly some other minor ones. So down the road, I think the '13's will be more wanted. First model years of most cars usually aren't. Nothing against the '12's though. they rock.

That is not typically the case. Don't now where you get your facts from.

1965 Shelby (1st year of the Shelby Mustang) is worth more then 1966, and even later years of the Big Block Shelbys

1969 Boss 429 (1st year of the Boss) is worth more then the 1970 Boss 9's

1969 Boss 302 (1st year of the Boss) pull more money, then the 70 Boss 302's

1969 Mach 1's (first year of the Mach 1), are more desireable and valuable then the 70's and later years of the Mach 1

The facts are that people/enthusiasts/public/future owners etc. will remember the 2012's more. Why? Because the 2012 Boss 302 is the car that set the bench mark for the Ford Mustang (a side from being on the cover of every Automotive Magazine), and were listed as the Best Mustang ever produced (Not the Big HP Shelby's). Every review you see on the 2012 Boss 302 is positive - regardless if you're a Mustang enthusiast. Its just a B*TCHIN machine.

That's why.

Most of those anomalies you list are because of regulations that kicked in, in '70. But generally, first year models will have kinks and glitches that get remedied in subsequent years. There are, of course, some exceptions. To be honest, the '12's and '13's are so identical, yet distinctly original I think they will have a balanced appeal in the end, more than likely.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Sesshomurai said:
Cjmclean31 said:
Don't discount the fact that the 12 model was the first, and should Ford decide (hopefully not) to build past 13, there might be multiple year runs that look like the 13.

They won't. Boss is only a 2 year run.

When was the last time this was heard??? Oh yea, just before the 1971 model year. Not a great boss but still......

I don't think there is any good answer to your question. I have always been a Mustang fan even though they had a lot of years that really sucked. I have owned 6 of them through the years and I had never thought of collecter value. I get up each morning and dust the Boss, start her up and go to work. I am sure that most of the buyers back in 69 did the same thing since most family's at the time did not have a 2,3 or 4 car stable. I will be just as happy to will this thing to my daughter with 200,00 miles on it then selling it for a few bucks. Besides I will be one of the few in hell to say I drove a Boss 302 and I don't think I will get any special treatment.

Well this is 2012 and I will be surprised if any of these last very long with the junk materials they use lets all face it they are not built like they were back in the day.

jeepinocala said:
Well this is 2012 and I will be surprised if any of these last very long with the junk materials they use lets all face it they are not built like they were back in the day.
Junk materials?..... not to be rude or anything, but you have no idea what you're talking about. Cars back then were pretty well built, but today's cars are even better. If you want "junk materials" look at the 2006-current Honda Civic. But, don't talk down the 2010-current Mustang, as it has probably the best quality materials in its class. Let's all face the fact, Mustang gives you bang for your buck, it's not supposed to be a luxury car.

He didn't mean quality as in mink lined seats, but as in plastic end tanks and wiring systems that rot like most modern cars have.

I agree on the civic though, and the newer jettas too.

Advice...it's all up to you, we all have our likes and dislikes, comes down to your wallet and what YOU really like... I never wanted a new Mustang until I saw the 2012 & 13 Boss, still living with my 67,68... I would be happy with a 13, but I like the 12 front end, what I REALLY would have liked from Ford would be the LS option on all the colors, with limited numbers being built, order only. Then in 20 years you would have something of low numbers for the different colors.

LikeABoss said:
jeepinocala said:
Junk materials?..... not to be rude or anything, but you have no idea what you're talking about. Cars back then were pretty well built, but today's cars are even better. If you want "junk materials" look at the 2006-current Honda Civic. But, don't talk down the 2010-current Mustang, as it has probably the best quality materials in its class. Let's all face the fact, Mustang gives you bang for your buck, it's not supposed to be a luxury car.
Ok first let me tell you I own a 2012 boss but I will be the first to admit yes the materials of today are crap look I am a medical prototype senior programmer/tool maker and I know materials so sorry to upset you but the metal used today is stretched so far compared to the older cars just take yours out and get into an accident with an older one and you will know what I mean. Dont get me wrong I love all Fords just dont fool yourself today the going thing is how can we make it cheaper to survive thats just it plain and simple back in the day it was how good can we build it. Materials is my living I also own a small prototype cnc machine shop so no your not going to win the metal issue with me. Maybe when I say junk it freaks you out but comparing to back in the day it is. Corner cutting is how they make money think about it if they were to spend the money on expensive materials these things would cost triple.

Today's cars have to focus on being as light as they can be to be more fuel efficient, especially with new government mandates having to be met. Cars of the past were "tanks" because gas mileage wasn't a priority back then ( gas was 15 cents a gallon). Today every ounce counts. I don't know how true it was, But when I bought my Boss the salesman said leather seats weren't available to save weight. Bottom line, Cars will never be made like they were years ago ( I miss my chrome bumpers)...maybe that's a good thing.

302BOB said:
Today's cars have to focus on being as light as they can be to be more fuel efficient, especially with new government mandates having to be met. Cars of the past were "tanks" because gas mileage wasn't a priority back then ( gas was 15 cents a gallon). Today every ounce counts. I don't know how true it was, But when I bought my Boss the salesman said leather seats weren't available to save weight. Bottom line, Cars will never be made like they were years ago ( I miss my chrome bumpers)...maybe that's a good thing.

Complete crap. ;D

302BOB said:

If a car salesman told me the sky was blue, I would go outside expecting it to have turned orange.

If a car salesman told me the sky was blue, I would go outside expecting it to have turned orange.
[/quote]
Cool then it would match my car ;D

jeepinocala said:
LikeABoss said:
jeepinocala said:
Ok first let me tell you I own a 2012 boss but I will be the first to admit yes the materials of today are crap look I am a medical prototype senior programmer/tool maker and I know materials so sorry to upset you but the metal used today is stretched so far compared to the older cars just take yours out and get into an accident with an older one and you will know what I mean. Dont get me wrong I love all Fords just dont fool yourself today the going thing is how can we make it cheaper to survive thats just it plain and simple back in the day it was how good can we build it. Materials is my living I also own a small prototype cnc machine shop so no your not going to win the metal issue with me. Maybe when I say junk it freaks you out but comparing to back in the day it is. Corner cutting is how they make money think about it if they were to spend the money on expensive materials these things would cost triple.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aDs1sHJLFE This, to prove my point...

I think part of the issue here is that you guys are arguing different points. Yes, the safety of modern cars is better. A LOT better. Besides the airbags and real seat belts, they have crumple zones etc. But that doesn't mean they are designed to be more durable over time and miles. A BMW will coddle you in a crash, but the plastic end tanks will only last as long as the warranty. The electrical systems by their very nature are less reliable than the older basic systems. In 20 years, where are we going to be able to find PC boards to control the sequential turn signals?

Cars today are built better, but with better technology comes better ability to cut corners on things that don't get the cars out the doors and higher chance of something going wrong.

TMO Supporting Vendors