The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Advice Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I love my Centerforce DYAD drives better then the stock better feel in the pedal. I spin my car to 8200 and no issues at that high of an rpm. I have over 10K on the clutch now. 0 track miles though but a few drag strip passes. Comes balanced and with arp hardware for everything. I bought mine from summit racing came in around 1500 for the setup which includes a flywheel.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
NFSBOSS said:
They're not using a MT82. The only viable option for the MT82 is a twin disc clutch.

Since I've installed the RXT I've had no issues with shifting on track. Thanks for the tip Peter!

;) It is a whole lot more fun when it shifts right.

Peter

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
OLOABoss said:
;) It is a whole lot more fun when it shifts right.

Peter
agreed. the clutch sticking to the floor was so annoying and it wasnt releasing correctly the first day I bought it as I could tell by the speed at which I had to slow down shifting.

Is something like this not an option?

http://www.mmautoperformance.com/exd07959csc-ford-boss-302-11-up.html?gclid=CPD-yLL6oboCFTJp7Aodq14ACw

It's just been my experience that multi disc, race car clutches never live up to their reputations (except maybe Crowerglides) and cause more problems than they solve. I have also had great luck with Borg and Beck style clutches over the diaphrams.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ArizonaGT said:
Steve:

If you ever had any problems with misfire CELs on-track, now would also be a great time to replace your crank position sensor and/or install the O-Ring TSB. The CPS is ~$33 from Ford (Tousley). Doesn't get any easier than when the trans is out of the way.

Do you have the correct part # for the CPS? I got my clutch last night and have the car up on stands. Stated last night with removing the trans scoop, x-pipe and the wiring connections. Getting ready to get out there to pull the drive shaft, trans, flywheel, pulse ring and replace with the new parts. Also planning on starting the off season maintenance; change oil, trans fluid (of course), coolant, gear lube. Got the oil cooler thermostat from Improved racing so I have to cut that into the AN lines as well.
Summitpoint10_13_13042_zpsca689b12.jpg
001_zpsadbf585e.jpg

Good luck with the install. So you're going to install your custom trans cooler as well? It would be great if you could start a separate thread on that with all the parts you're using. After your finished of course.

I'm also curious how grabby the organic clutch will be. I've heard there's not much difference but I hope it's better. FWIW I now have about 3,000 miles on mine with six track days and it has gotten a LOT better. Still not as easy to engage as the stock clutch but significantly better than it was when new.

I Looked in the 2013-14 EXEDY online catalog and found they list 4 high performance 23 tooth spline clutches for the 2011 GT Mustang (MT82 tranny). 3 of the 4 clutches are single disc. American Muscle and Rehagen Racing sell all 4 types now.

For your reading pleasure....below is the catalog info on each type

EXEDY Stage 1 Racing Organic Clutch Kit
Part Number: 07807CSC [2011-2011 Mustang GT; Includes Hydraulic Concentric Slave Cylinder; V8; 5.0L; Gas; (99F)]
SPECS:
Disc Size: 280 mm
Spline Teeth / Major Diameter: 23T / 26.2 mm
Clamping Force / Load Exerted: 3372 lbs.
Disc Material: Organic
Number of Disc: Single
Clutch Type: (Push / Pull): Push
Sprung Center (D-core): Yes
Clutch Torque: 780 lb-ft
Torque Capacity @ Wheels: 498 lb-ft
Torque Capacity @ Flywheel: 622 b-ft
SUITABLE FOR DRIVING STYLES: Street / Auto Cross Rally
LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL: Part Number EF502 (8-bolt), 16.1 lbs

OrganicStage1.png

EXEDY Stage 2 Racing Cerametallic Clutch Kit
Part Number: 07959CSC [2011-2011 Mustang GT; Cushion Button Cerametallic Disc; Includes Hydraulic Concentric Slave Cylinder; V8; 5.0L; Gas; (99F)]
SPECS:
Disc Material: Thick Cerametallic
Clutch Torque: 930 lb-ft
Torque Capacity @ Wheels: 587 lb-ft
Torque Capacity @ Flywheel: 734 b-ft
SUITABLE FOR DRIVING STYLES: Street / Time Attack Circuit Track/ Drag Race / Auto Cross Rally

Stage2Cerametallic.png

EXEDY Stage 2 Racing Cerametallic Clutch Kit
Part Number: 07959PCSC [2011-2011 Mustang GT; Paddle Type Disc; Includes Hydraulic Concentric Slave Cylinder; V8; 5.0L; Gas; (99F)]
SPECS:
Disc Material: Thick Cerametallic
Torque Capacity @ Wheels: 587 lb-ft
Torque Capacity @ Flywheel: 734 b-ft
SUITABLE FOR DRIVING STYLES: Street / Time Attack Circuit Track/ Drag Race / Auto Cross Rally

Stage2CerametallicPaddle.png

EXEDY Stage 4 Racing Multiplate Clutch Kit
Part Number: ET04XD [2011-2011 Mustang GT; V8; 5.0L; Gas; (99F)]
SPECS:
Disc Size: 225 mm
Clamping Force / Load Exerted: 2922 lbs.
Disc Material: Cerametallic
Number of Disc: Twin
Clutch Torque: 1317 lb-ft
Torque Capacity @ Wheels: 847 lb-ft
FLYWHEEL: FT06

StageMultiplate.png

EXEDY Lightweight Racing Flywheel
Part Number: EF502 [2011-2011 Mustang GT; 8 crank bolts; V8; 5.0L; Gas; (99F)]
Flywheel Weight: 16.1 lbs.

flywheel_250.png

EXEDY ORGANIC RACING CLUTCHES only use premium friction materials that are resistant to slippage and burst. Increased clamp loads give the necessary capacity to handle modified engines. This is the preferred clutch for street and light horsepower track use. Driveability is similar to the stock clutch. Pedal efforts will be slightly higher because of the higher clamp loads. All of our clutch discs have spring center dampers to reduce drivetrain shock.

EXEDY CERAMETALLIC CLUTCHES are designed to handle the abuse of high powered modified engines. Our cerametallic friction material can handle much more slippage than stock type disc assemblies without slipping and fading. All cerametallic discs feature spring center dampers to reduce impact and shock loads. We offer two types of cerametallic discs: Normal Thickness (Thick) / Reduced Thickness (Thin) Normal thickness discs have greater heat capacity and therefore better durability in demanding applications such as all wheel drive. Reduced thickness discs offer greatly reduced inertia to improve shift efforts and improve synchro durability. These discs are approximately 1/2 the thickness of a stock disc and are recommended for track use only.

EXEDY MULTI-PLATE CLUTCHES - For high-powered applications EXEDY offers Multi plate clutches. These are designed for hot street action as well as drag, road, and rally racing. All of our multi plate clutches come with a lightweight chromoly steel flywheel, and the famous purple anodized forged aluminum clutch cover. Depending on the application, both strap drive and lug drive models are available. All have T5001 cerametallic friction materials for extreme heat resistance. The multi plate clutches are rated up to 800+ foot pounds of torque at the flywheel. And come with spring damper or solid discs depending on the application.

EXEDY STAGE 1 CLUTCH is great for the customer looking for a very smooth engaging clutch that is going to drive similar to the OEM unit but capable to handle moderate levels of modifications. This is a great option for the “street driver”.

EXEDY STAGE 2, 3, 4 CLUTCHES with a Cerametallic disc and sprung hub center section is a great choice for the ”street / strip / weekend racer” with applications to handle moderate to aggressive levels of modifications. These units offer a very consistent operation whether being raced or daily driven. The sprung hub center offers ease of engagement and absorbs many of the driveline vibrations at idle and during acceleration/deceleration.

LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEELS for the Stage 1, 2 clutch kits are great options to;
a. Improve throttle response.
b. Allow the engine to rev more quickly.
c. Allow the clutch to operate cooler.
d. Burst tested and SFI approved. Rated to 10,000+RPM.
e. Remove the OEM dual mass flywheels.
All EXEDY lightweight flywheels are made from a one piece forged chromoly steel which utilize a nitrate hardening process, unique cooling ducts and distribute the weight evenly to allow for better drivability on the street

EXEDY OEM Replacement Clutch Kit
Part Number: FMK1026 [2011-2011 Mustang GT; Includes Hydraulic Concentric Slave Cylinder; V8; 5.0L; Gas; (99F)]
SPECS:
Spline Teeth / Major Diameter: 23T / 1 inch

oem_250.png

EXEDY OEM REPLACEMENT CLUTCHES - EXEDY is a Tier 1 supplier to 11 Japanese car manufacturers along with Ford and GM. This means we work hand in hand to engineer products used in the new vehicles for sale at your local dealership - right now. The EXEDY Pro-Kit clutch assembly you will receive is manufactured on the same production line as OEM clutch components! Not many companies can promise you the guaranteed operation and durability that the car manufacturers demand of our product. Clutch cover assembly (pressure plate): All cover assemblies endure a precise robotic testing process to ensure proper clamp load and clutch lift separation. This step ensures optimal pedal feel for better drivability. To help guarantee durability, the diaphragm spring receives special high frequency induction heat treating. This helps prevent the wear that normally occurs at the contact surface of the release bearing. Together, these procedures provide you a like-new pedal feel throughout the life of your clutch. Clutch Disc: EXEDY engineers, perfects and manufactures our own friction materials. We produce a material with exceptional friction and wear characteristics that will help engage smoothly, grip as expected and provide you with a longer lasting installation. Disc Spring Damper: This is the center section of the clutch disc. EXEDY spring-type disc dampers are patented worldwide to suppress engine and driveline noise by absorbing vibrations.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
OK
Remember the failed slave cylinder/TOB? BUZZZZZZ! Wrong, exploded clutch disc marcel spring ala Cloud 9. Spring ripped out of the disc and the little inner spring got jammed in the diaphragm fingers causing the no clutch release condition that I fought all the way home from Summit Point. Wear on the clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel surfaces are negligible, like new condition, apparently the disc construction can't take the shock loads of high rpm up and down shifting. Got the trans and Clutch removed today, will be working on the flywheel/pulse ring and clutch reinstall tomorrow. Gonna wait for the updated Crankshaft Position sensor before putting the trans in next week.

clutch10_19_13004_zps2cc033d4.jpg
clutch10_19_13003_zpse12edf65.jpg
clutch10_19_13001_zpsdccaa5ab.jpg
clutch10_19_13006_zpsd2ef0a3f.jpg
clutch10_19_13007_zps13a61991.jpg
clutch10_19_13009_zps3a1172ad.jpg

Steve

Steve, not sure if this will apply to your BAUS, but when the shop replaced the pulse ring and flywheel on my car they needed to do a crank shaft position relearn using a PROCAL tool. So if you start throwing codes, this may be the reason.

steveespo said:
OK
Remember the failed slave cylinder/TOB? BUZZZZZZ! Wrong, exploded clutch disc marcel spring ala Cloud 9.

That makes a lot more sense. I ran my fastest lap times to date at Sebring and Daytona on broken slave cylinders (throwout bearing separated from the slave). I was wondering why you could not drive it home with a failed slave.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Got the old flywheel and pilot bearing off, installed new bearing and CJ pulse ring (still can't tell the difference) cleaned the new flywheel, pressure plate and floater plate with brake Kleenex and got it all mounted. Swapped the MGW over to my back up trans and installed the new Slave/ Throw out bearing. Funny thing about the Boss vs my GT trans, the GT trans hade a spacer behind the TOB, Boss did not. Thinking the seller didn't include it with the trans I began to transfer it, then I thought to measure, with spacer on GT measured 6 5/8" from face of spacer to tip of input shaft, on the Boss from mount area cast at input shaft bearing to tip 6 5/8", no spacer needed. I then needed shorter M6 1.0 flange bolts, found the exact bolts Ford uses at my local hardware store just 10 mm shorter. Worked out perfect

Could've got it all done but I'm waiting on the new crank position sensor and my trans jack from Harbor Freight. Got the old one out with a floor jack and muscle but gonna need the proper tool to make the install easy and safe.
Steve

steveespo said:
Funny thing about the Boss vs my GT trans, the GT trans hade a spacer behind the TOB, Boss did not. Thinking the seller didn't include it with the trans I began to transfer it, then I thought to measure, with spacer on GT measured 6 5/8" from face of spacer to tip of input shaft, on the Boss from mount area cast at input shaft bearing to tip 6 5/8", no spacer needed. I then needed shorter M6 1.0 flange bolts, found the exact bolts Ford uses at my local hardware store just 10 mm shorter. Worked out perfect

The Boss with the MT82 does have a spacer, about a 1/2 inch. I'm not sure if the bellhousing or input is different, I thought they were the same but don't know enough about the GT to say for sure.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I'll double check it again but I did twice already and came up with the same measurements one with one without the spacer. The 2 throw out bearings I have are the same size so I figured the dimensions should stay the same. Anyone else take their trans out?
Steve

I'm positive the Boss uses the spacer.

When I swapped out the MT82 for the Tremec and I was having problems we measured the difference between this setup and the 302R. The 302R uses a shorter bellhousing and slave then the Magnum XL while also using a spacer. There was also a difference in the input shaft. After all was measured on both the two worked out to be the same if I included the spacer with my Tremec, yet it was incorrect and we have it working without the spacer and using the Boss OEM slave like Tremec meant it to be.

To add to the confusion I talked with the race shop that built Bill's LS Boss and they installed his Tremec Magnum with the shorter slave and no spacer. So far he has never posted about any shifting problems.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
YellowBoss said:
I'm positive the Boss uses the spacer.

When I swapped out the MT82 for the Tremec and I was having problems we measured the difference between this setup and the 302R. The 302R uses a shorter bellhousing and slave then the Magnum XL while also using a spacer. There was also a difference in the input shaft. After all was measured on both the two worked out to be the same if I included the spacer with my Tremec, yet it was incorrect and we have it working without the spacer and using the Boss OEM slave like Tremec meant it to be.

To add to the confusion I talked with the race shop that built Bill's LS Boss and they installed his Tremec Magnum with the shorter slave and no spacer. So far he has never posted about any shifting problems.

Do you know the old mt 82 part number on the sticker? Mine is CR33-7003-AB which checks as a 2012 5.0L transmission. I just checked again, with the TOB mounted on the GT trans with spacer there is 69mm from tip of input shaft to face of TOB. On the Boss trans no spacer 69mm tip to face of bearing. The spacer is just about 7/16" thick, I'm afraid to add it and preload the slave against the clutch fingers so much. McLeod make no reference to changing the TOB from Ford stock or modifying the dimension. I'd hate to mess it up either way.
Thanks for the help.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
FWIW when we pulled the trans to install the RXT, we added a new (but OEM-spec) TOB/slave and did not find or add any spacer. If you're using a GT/BOSS spec TOB, I'd just forget the spacer.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
ArizonaGT said:
FWIW when we pulled the trans to install the RXT, we added a new (but OEM-spec) TOB/slave and did not find or add any spacer. If you're using a GT/BOSS spec TOB, I'd just forget the spacer.
Bingo! Thanks AZ, now I'm confident it will work properly. Ford must have modified the casting to eliminate the need for the spacer in 2012 run.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors