The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Aeroforce Oil Pressure Sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFSBOSS said:
I'm looking to install an oil temp sensor and I'm considering this location. Is this a good location for an oil temp sensor? if not then where?

Here's a link to the Aeroforce oil temp sensor I'll use.

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_sensors_temp.html

Here's a link to another thread on this subject.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4794.msg84041#new

Are you talking about installing the sender in a sandwich plate? If so, I think that is a good location. The only question I have about installing the sender in the sandwich plate, is the oil in that section of the plate in retuning oil from the cooler or is it oil before it enters the cooler? I am thinking it is oil that has already been cooled down. The max temp I was getting this past week at the Glen with ambient temps in the low 90's was 265 degrees. Max coolant temp was running 225.

Mike I'm referring to the location below and using the 1/4" NPT T fitting. Is this a good location to capture oil temp from? Your comment about the sandwich plate and being after the oil has been cooled is why I don't want to use that location.

396347_10150547584113704_824536513_n.jpg

Maui
NFSBOSS said:
Mike I'm referring to the location below and using the 1/4" NPT T fitting. Is this a good location to capture oil temp from? Your comment about the sandwich plate and being after the oil has been cooled is why I don't want to use that location.

Rick,

That T-set up I did a year ago now has a small leak. Looking at it there are just so many connections for the oil to leak from... I was thinking of removing it and putting it back to stock and using the glow shift sandwich adapter to measure oil pressure.. I was also thinking about using the glow shift adapter to measure temperature, but it sounds like it might be affected by being so close to the oil cooler... Are any of you guys measuring oil pressure with the glowshift sandwich adapter? any problems?

NFSBOSS said:

Rick, I originally was going to place my sender at that location but after initial mock up I felt the combination of all the fittings required was too long and could leak, or worse, break. Also, the oil around the sensor would be sort of stagnant and I don't think you would get accurate temp readings. I am not positive the port location in the sandwich plate is before or after the cooler. Wished I knew for sure? Would need to see the oil flow schematic.

Maui
06mach1 said:
Rick, I originally was going to place my sender at that location but after initial mock up I felt the combination of all the fittings required was too long and could leak, or worse, break. Also, the oil around the sensor would be sort of stagnant and I don't think you would get accurate temp readings. I am not positive the port location in the sandwich plate is before or after the cooler. Wished I knew for sure? Would need to see the oil flow schematic.

Mike or those with a sandwich adapter,

Yup. That T-set up is now leaking for me... Thats why I just ordered the glow shift sandwich adapter... Are you checking your oil pressure through the glow shift sandwich plate? Any issues?
Thanks.

Jeff

808Boss said:
Mike or those with a sandwich adapter,

Yup. That T-set up is now leaking for me... Thats why I just ordered the glow shift sandwich adapter... Are you checking your oil pressure through the glow shift sandwich plate? Any issues?
Thanks.

Jeff

I do not check oil pressure thru the sandwich plate, but you could. I removed and replaced the OE sensor in the side of the block (the same location in the above pics). The OE sensor is just for an idiot light (at least on the regular Boss). I installed a jumper wire in the OE harness where it plugged into the OE sensor. I did not want the idiot light lit up on the dash for low oil pressure. My oil pressure gauge has a red - low oil pressure warning light (that can be set to your specs) along with oil pressure up to 100 PSI. No issues so far.

06mach1 said:
I do not check oil pressure thru the sandwich plate, but you could. I removed and replaced the OE sensor in the side of the block (the same location in the above pics). The OE sensor is just for an idiot light (at least on the regular Boss). I installed a jumper wire in the OE harness where it plugged into the OE sensor. I did not want the idiot light lit up on the dash for low oil pressure. My oil pressure gauge has a red - low oil pressure warning light (that can be set to your specs) along with oil pressure up to 100 PSI. No issues so far.

As a benchmark, what values of pressure can we expect?... Cold vs hot, idle vs high rpm?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Cold on the Coyote I see 40-45 at idle and 75 psi above 2200 rpm. Hot on track I see 28-32 at idle and 60 from 2200 to 5000, 70 from 5500 to 7400. I have the tell tale lamp set at 26 psi. I think the Boss cars show higher values on the LS gauges but haven't seen any reports from actual Auto meter gauges. The reason I question the ECU sourced info is that there seems to be a lot of "inferred" data from the OBD II port. Almost like there is a temperature/rpm/pressure corellation table for some of the functions.
Steve

Highpower11 said:
As a benchmark, what values of pressure can we expect?... Cold vs hot, idle vs high rpm?

Mine at idle cold is 90 psi and goes over 100 when a little throttle is applied. On the track I see 35 to 40 psi at idle and 70 to 80 psi at speed

06mach1 said:
Mine at idle cold is 90 psi and goes over 100 when a little throttle is applied. On the track I see 35 to 40 psi at idle and 70 to 80 psi at speed
Mine is the same...90 to 100 cold / 40 hot at idle to 70ish at speed.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
boss man said:
Mine is the same...90 to 100 cold / 40 hot at idle to 70ish at speed.
Do you guys use aftermarket gauges or Aeroforce reading? The pressures make sense as the rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 rpm is optimal so 7500 rpm = 75 psi hot.
Good deal, I bet the Boss has a slightly different oil pump relief spring than the standard GT. Plus you get some pressure drop across an air to oil cooler and their lines.
Steve

steveespo said:
Do you guys use aftermarket gauges or Aeroforce reading? The pressures make sense as the rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 rpm is optimal so 7500 rpm = 75 psi hot.
Good deal, I bet the Boss has a slightly different oil pump relief spring than the standard GT. Plus you get some pressure drop across an air to oil cooler and their lines.
Steve
I use Ford Racing gauges...I'm more old school.

Maui
I just got the glowshift sandwich adapter plate along with the aeroforce oil temperature sensor. When I installed everything yesterday, I noticed a leak from where the oil temperature sensor was screwed in to the glowshift plate. It seemed like it was screwed in pretty tight already so I didn't screw it in anymore because I didn't want to strip anything. I also put on some teflon paste on the threads of the sensor. Should I try screwing it in further until the nut of the oil pressure sensor is flush with the glowshift plate? Any ideas? For now I disconnected the oil temp sensor and just put a bolt in there to stop the leak.

808Boss said:
I just got the glowshift sandwich adapter plate along with the aeroforce oil temperature sensor. When I installed everything yesterday, I noticed a leak from where the oil temperature sensor was screwed in to the glowshift plate. It seemed like it was screwed in pretty tight already so I didn't screw it in anymore because I didn't want to strip anything. I also put on some teflon paste on the threads of the sensor. Should I try screwing it in further until the nut of the oil pressure sensor is flush with the glowshift plate? Any ideas? For now I disconnected the oil temp sensor and just put a bolt in there to stop the leak.

Are you using teflon tape or thread sealant? If not, you will need to use something like that.

Maui
Jimmy Pribble said:
Are you using teflon tape or thread sealant? If not, you will need to use something like that.

I'm using pipe thread compound (teflon paste) I got from ACE hardware. I guess I can try wrenching it in more. I was afraid of stripping the sensor if I tightened it too much... Was your sensor on pretty tight?

Maui
Fixed the leak.. Thanks Steve, mach1, jimmypribble.. I ended up getting the permatex pipe thread seal and tightened it down further. No more leaks... Out of curiosity what oil temperature reading is everyone getting?

808Boss said:
Fixed the leak.. Thanks Steve, mach1, jimmypribble.. I ended up getting the permatex pipe thread seal and tightened it down further. No more leaks... Out of curiosity what oil temperature reading is everyone getting?
Street driving it's matching the water temp once fully warmed up. It will read low right when you start the car which matches the graph shown in the instructions at low temps. On the track I'm usually in the 230s once I've been hammering it and the highest I've seen is 240 on a 100* day. I have the FRPP air-to-oil cooler run in series with the factory water-to-oil cooler.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
My temps are the same as Gary's. The setup with the stock cooler and FRPP 302S cooler is all you need at the 30 minute session level. And at that level I do feel the air to oil cooler is necessary for engine durability. The differential cooling is something else you track rats should consider, I see temps without engaging my pump of over 260 F, with the pump 235 F steady. I haven't figured the trans out yet but I am working on a setup now, just trying to figure out an adapter fitting for the fill and drain ports.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors