The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Another reason not to buy a Z/28?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foot in mouth yet again... I jumped to the conclusion it shared the ZL1 suspension. My memory has been crap recently. I know I have read that they have to remove it for Grand AM so I thought maybe it was because it was controlled.

I have to go read more about the Mutlimatic suspension.

WinterSucks said:
Foot in mouth yet again... I jumped to the conclusion it shared the ZL1 suspension. My memory has been crap recently. I know I have read that they have to remove it for Grand AM so I thought maybe it was because it was controlled.

I have to go read more about the Mutlimatic suspension.
LOL no worries. I have read up quite a bit on it and there's no doubt it's a single focus car: the track. Owners have said it's too stiff and rough riding for street driving other than to cars and coffee. For the price difference the Z should be faster than our cars. But throw on some Trefeo R's or Hoosier R6's and the brake pad of your choice and the difference will be a lot closer than the magazines would have you believe. The cars are nearly identical in acceleration and braking so the big difference is the corner speed and that's where the tires and dampers come into play. No doubt the Z has superior brakes but they don't stop the car any faster and the small difference in shorter braking distances can be attributed to the tires. But those brakes will be consistent throughout the track session.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
coboss said:
Am I wrong in seeing that in both crashes, there were track imperfections at least partially at the root of the issues?

It is easy to build a car with an overly stiff suspension that will pull magnificent skidpad/slalom numbers on a glass smooth track, it is a lot harder to build a car with spring/damper tuning providing some small bump compliance that also pulls magnificent magazine skidpad/slalom numbers.

My 100% stock, non-LS Boss seems to put the power down in almost all track situations, and has pretty good small bump absorption. I love it.

Another comment: We here in the Denver metro area are blessed with our local road course at High Plains Raceway. It is just about the safest track imaginable, with huge slide off areas. It would freak me out to drive some of the tracks I see on YouTube where retaining walls are only 30 feet off the tarmac. As it has been said, there are only two kinds of drivers at track days - those that have slid off the course, and those that are going to slide off the course. I don't have the cash to be hitting retaining walls.

Let me know the next tyme you head out to High Plains Raceway. I've been meaning to take my '12 out there for some open track tyme.

I am a big proponent of car x VS car y being done on the same tires and pads when it come to comparison testing. Most owners will change those the first chance they get anyways. And most of the time the OEM tires seem to be picked because they got a good deal. For instance the BRZ being run against other cars on it's crap narrow OEM all-seasons... I feel it didn't get a fair shake. Then you have a manufacturer who weights the dice in their favor by installing tires only a track rat would use.

Just my 2cents here, the Z28s right now are the dominant car in the Continental series, but those freakin' Pratt and Millers are 300K each..or the cost of 2 race ready Boss 302s....and we're giving them all they can handle.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
blacksheep-1 said:
Just my 2cents here, the Z28s right now are the dominant car in the Continental series, but those freakin' Pratt and Millers are 300K each..or the cost of 2 race ready Boss 302s....and we're giving them all they can handle.

Or almost as much as 4 302Ses!

Are they running similar restrictor plates, you know, for the 2 extra liters they're packin'? ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors