The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

ARCHETYPE RACING - VOODOO/COYOTE/PREDATOR Oil Balancing Hoses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
So onto my next question, but first a bit of background. I ran Chuckwalla on Sunday and first session out, the car went into limp mode with a solid wrench light on the dash. This has never happened. Had to pull off to the side, shut the car completely off and restart it so that i could even drive it back to the paddock. Quick Google check was pointing at potentially a dirty throttle body. Pulled the intake tube, and sure enough there was a fair amount of oil on the blade and housing. I have a separator installed on the passenger side, however the driver side PCV hose still feeds into the OE intake tube. I rarely get much oil in the passenger side can, but it had probably 3-4 ounces in it. Is this a normal byproduct of the increased oil flow from the balancing hoses? I’ve been considering the Watson Racing Peterson catch for a while now, but it may have just moved up the priority list.

View attachment 62858

No, there's very little flow through the crossover lines. They balance pressure more than anything else, there's not an active flow through them (think of them as sitting at the very end of the oiling system, tying the two tail-ends together between heads.

For the blowby accumulation, definitely look at the watson can. Interestingly enough, I had similar issues at Chuckwalla the week before you, but I think mine to be more electric than mechanical.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
No, there's very little flow through the crossover lines. They balance pressure more than anything else, there's not an active flow through them (think of them as sitting at the very end of the oiling system, tying the two tail-ends together between heads.

For the blowby accumulation, definitely look at the watson can. Interestingly enough, I had similar issues at Chuckwalla the week before you, but I think mine to be more electric than mechanical.

Thanks Chris - it just seemed non-coincidental as I’ve never had the oiling issue and the only change was the balancing lines. Do you have a drain back line plumbed on your Watson can down to the oil pan? If not, how do you drain it? Their instructions say nothing about emptying the can.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Thanks Chris - it just seemed non-coincidental as I’ve never had the oiling issue and the only change was the balancing lines. Do you have a drain back line plumbed on your Watson can down to the oil pan? If not, how do you drain it? Their instructions say nothing about emptying the can.

You can either manually drain the can (messy, time consuming), or you can plumb a line back down into an oil pan (assuming you have a suitable port to tap into) and allow the aerated oil to accumulate and return to the pan. Given that I change my oil every 4 hours of operation, I opted for the drain line configuration.IMG_2214.jpgIMG_2514.jpg

EIGHTLUG

https://www.archetyperacing.com
Supporting Vendor
Will the oil balance lines fit a 2020 Shelby GT350? I am not sure that the latest version of the flat plane crank engine has the plugs. If anyone knows for sure let me know.
The lines will work with the newest Voodoos. Several sets have been installed on near brand new cars.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
It's always a good idea to tape over those open intake ports whenever the IM is removed, you never know what might get in there :eek:
I've seen the results of arrant parts falling into intake manifolds, usually very expensive to fix. Best one was a really nice mid 70's GMC Jimmy. Belonged to the owner of a construction company. I had done minor repairs to it over the years. One day it comes in on the hook. Someone had pulled the Quadrajet apart on the engine to replace a sunken fuel float. Made lots of noise on start up, started running really rough and then they shut it down. Hooked it to the scope, started and we are only running on 5 cylinders. Pulled engine down, turns out one of those pesky steel balls had dropped down the intake and pounded the crap out of three cylinders before it finally lodged itself into a piston. Time for a Target 350.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I've seen the results of arrant parts falling into intake manifolds, usually very expensive to fix. Best one was a really nice mid 70's GMC Jimmy. Belonged to the owner of a construction company. I had done minor repairs to it over the years. One day it comes in on the hook. Someone had pulled the Quadrajet apart on the engine to replace a sunken fuel float. Made lots of noise on start up, started running really rough and then they shut it down. Hooked it to the scope, started and we are only running on 5 cylinders. Pulled engine down, turns out one of those pesky steel balls had dropped down the intake and pounded the crap out of three cylinders before it finally lodged itself into a piston. Time for a Target 350.
I took delivery of a fresh racing engine many many years ago that was bagged but not taped up.
Well apparently the builder had screwed the carb flange nuts onto the studs but when it arrived the nuts were nowhere to be seen....I'll give you one guess where they went and how I found out.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I took delivery of a fresh racing engine many many years ago that was bagged but not taped up.
Well apparently the builder had screwed the carb flange nuts onto the studs but when it arrived the nuts were nowhere to be seen....I'll give you one guess where they went and how I found out.
That sucks. The 6.2 GM diesel were notorious for burned out glow plugs. They often swelled up or drooped when they failed. They were a pain in the butt to get out and sometimes they would break. Standard Operating Procedure was to spin the engine over with the fuel shut off to blow the debris out. Well, that works most of the time but sometimes the customer gets a new engine. A chunk of glow plug lodged between the piston and cylinder wall and tore the cylinder wall up. I hated those 5.7 & 6.2 diesels. One good thing was if you bought a 6.2l diesel with the 700R4 trans you never had to worry about wearing out the differential.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Oil balancing lines are now on the website.

It's widely known that Voodoo engines have been known to fail from oil aeration on cylinders 4 and 8. The aeration of oil negatively affects lash adjusters, camshafts, and cam phasers. These hoses allow cross head oil flow/pressure and bank balancing. To mitigate this issue, oil balancing lines are installed from the factory on FP350S engines. For us Voodoo, Coyote (Gen 2 verified), and Predator owners, the good thing is, the factory has equipped the heads with 2 pairs of plugged ports on the back of the heads to allow the installation of these oil balancing hoses.

These are very high quality -6AN hoses are made in the USA from PTFE (Teflon) hose with an Aramid Kevlar braid. They are tested to 1,000 PSI, prior to shipping. Burst rating is 9,500 PSI. Very well overbuilt for this application. The hoses are also sleeved for insulation and chaffing resistance. They will withstand sustained heat of 350 degrees F. The male pipe to -6 adapter fitting will also be included.

• Direct install for Voodoo, Predator, Gen 2 Coyote engine (Gen 3 to be confirmed), '12-'13 BOSS 302
  • Installation instructions are included
  • TMO Forum Member/Veteran/LEO (First Responder) 10% discount is available - email [email protected] for a custom invoice. Please add your shipping address and phone number in your email.
  • More fitment applications may be available. Send an email to [email protected]
  • Free shipping to the lower 48 states
  • Please email [email protected] for an international shipping quote

View attachment 61452

View attachment 61453

View attachment 61454

View attachment 61455

View attachment 61456

View attachment 61457
Time to buy a set, or two. On your site you mentioned a discount for TMO members, veterans and LEO. What do we need to do to get the discount? Code??

EIGHTLUG

https://www.archetyperacing.com
Supporting Vendor
Time to buy a set, or two. On your site you mentioned a discount for TMO members, veterans and LEO. What do we need to do to get the discount? Code??
TMSBOSS, all you’ll need to do is email me at [email protected] with the item(s) you want to purchase. I’ll email you an invoice with the discount applied.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Niceville, Fla.
On the Gen 1 cylinder heads, you will remove 4 x 1/4"NPT (hex) plugs in order to install the AR balancing hoses. A 6mm hex wrench will suffice as well. Installed mine today; driver side lower plug is the most difficult.

20210819_235935.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Indiana
So I may be mis-understanding something here, hopefully you guys can clear it up. Is this a must have on a Voodoo, or is it a must have on any Coyote/Voodoo/Predator? Is it the sustained high rpm that's the issue or is there something Voodoo specific that makes it a must there and just an insurance policy on the Coyote?

TMO Supporting Vendors