The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Are you keeping your boss stock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stock for me as well. Just took the plates out, and added track key. I really don't consider the track key a modification, since it was designed by Ford for this car (and this car alone). I fully intend to keep it stock. The only additional item I am considering is the rear window louvers (to match my '69), but that's a simple addition that doesn't require cutting, drilling, bolting, etc.

So mods or no mods? To each his/her own. If you are modding your cars, please be kind to future owners of these great cars by keeping your original pieces that can be sold with the car. From one who has restored a '69 Boss, I can speak from experience that it is a very frustrating endeavor to find all the right pieces that go with the car. And of course, I wanted a '69, which presents an entirely different set of challenges when it comes to the uniqueness of most of the parts. And face it, original '69 and '70 Bosses are fetching great prices on the auction block, but the prices go down precipitously as the loss of originality goes up. Will the 2012-13 be in the same high-level collector class as the originals? Don't know, but there is something to be said about mankind's love affair with the Boss. Of all the collector muscle cars, the '69-'70 Boss cars seem to be about the only ones that are somewhat holding their value. Perhaps the reintroduction of the new Boss has stimulated interest, but I sort of expect that the new Boss cars will be great collectors too, at least eventually.

drano38

Wayne
Modding for track use, but keep the original parts.
Only thing I can't undo is the fact that I drilled out the fake fog lights when we thought it might help with cooling (but it doesn't).

Don't see Gary's post yet, but I'm pretty sure his is stock ;D ;) :) :eek:

Slowly doing mild mods that can be readily reversed. Mostly the usual bolt-on suspension and brake mods plus a few other odds and ends. I'm keeping all the original parts, and I won't do any mod that requires re-painting, cutting, drilling, or welding to the body or chassis. Nor will I mod the engine internally, or add a supercharger or turbo kit.

As with most "trackable" street cars the age-old question is "how far do you go?" Always hard to answer, but if I get to point where I am going to be doing some serious track time, and need a roll cage and pretty much a full-race set up on the car, I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a dedicated track car, and keep this one "unmolested" for the street.

I think these new Bosses will quickly become among the most collectible of modern Fords, right up there with the Ford GT. It's THAT good, THAT desirable of a car, and they're only being built for two model years. I think there are a lot of people who don't realize just how special these new Bosses are. I've owned both a '69 Boss 429 (white, KK1318 820S motor) and a '70 Boss 302 (Calypso Coral, drag pack, built motor), and this new one is so far and away better that the old ones it's not even a fair comparison.

Far as I'm concerned this new Boss 302 is so damed good, so thoroughly enjoyable, such a f-ing animal of a car, I have no desire to own an old one again. It's a keeper, and I fully intend to keep it well preserved to pass it along someday to my son or some lucky future owner.

Almost stock here. Installed GT-500 mufflers, taillight trim, 3/4" restrictor plates, sound tube delete & disconnected skip-shift. No track key yet, still on the fence about it.
Have no plans for engine or suspension mods at this time.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I've removed the exhaust discs as of now. I have ordered a few appearance pieces that I can quickly return to stock if necessary (headlights, taillights, floor mats, front and rear side marker blackouts). There might be a full exhaust in my future, but no guarantee. Possibly just axlebacks.

98RedGT

2012 #552
VWGTI123 said:
100% Stock - Even left the little air bag warning tag attached to the glovebox.

LOL - I did the same thing

of course, installed Track Key and removed exhaust discs but I don't count those as mods.

Limited to what I have or will do. Want car to look stock so no body or appearance changes. This car has no transmission, clutch or shifter issues and I can power shift all gears with never a miss. If that ever changes I would do any shifter or clutch changes to make it work right.

Things Done: Airaid CF CAI, MT Street Comp tires.

Parts Being Installed: Steeda LCA, sway bar relocation, 15X10 Weld RTS, MT Drag Radials.

Future Mods: Headers, Tune, what ever I need to runs 11's at the strip

I drilled out my faux fog lights too. It makes the car more raw looking.I also believe it helps with cooling to some degree or why would Ford make them removable on the '13 Bosses.Also sound tube delete, NO restrictor plates, GT-500 muffs, K&N filters & future MGW shifter install. Last but not least BOSS 302 decal on the 3rd brake light lens.

No. Since I plan on tracking (HPDE, track days etc) the car I was thinking of installing the Mustang Gauge Pod setup that was on the 2012 LS, and installing a roll bar and seat harnesses. Not sure why the LS didn't come with a roll bar, since it was designed for the track. You can thank me in 20 years when the rest of your cars are worth $$$$. :)

My mod's are 3/4 exaust plates,sound tube delete,steeda cai with sct tune[guess i wasted $$$ on track key], shifter. That is it for now,only 500 miles on her and want to make sure there is no oil burning before I might loss factory warranty.

TMO Supporting Vendors