The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bang for buck camber adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
looking to get -2 to -3 degrees of camber in the front

car has stock springs with koni adjustable shocks, wheels are a 18x9.5 ET 45 with a 20mm spacer hoping to run a 275 or 285 tire

wondering which camber plates and or camber bolts are worth buying and which ones are generally considered junk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
You can't go wrong with the Vorshlag plates. Maybe not "bang for the buck" but highly regarded around here, definitely not "junk".
To get close to 3° you may need to open the hole at the top of the strut tower too.
I don't trust camber bolts so much.
id seen lots of people talking about them. unfortunately they are quite a bit out of my budget

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I had Vorshlags on my '16, with cutting the strut towers was able to get -4. But that was a heavily modded car that was pretty much track only. With the Mach 1 I put on BMR and with no massaging I got -2.2 which I think is fine for a dual purpose car that will see more street than track time.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
If you are considering camber bolts I have a pair of never used camber bolts that I can donate.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cantley
I had Vorshlags on my '16, with cutting the strut towers was able to get -4. But that was a heavily modded car that was pretty much track only. With the Mach 1 I put on BMR and with no massaging I got -2.2 which I think is fine for a dual purpose car that will see more street than track time.
It's funny I did it the other way around from you: I had BMR on my 2019, and I bought Vorshlag for my 2024. I have yet to install them. For having tried both, do you reckon I should get more camber with the Vorshlag, without cutting the strut tower, or is 2.2 pretty much the max you can get irrespective of brand?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
It's funny I did it the other way around from you: I had BMR on my 2019, and I bought Vorshlag for my 2024. I have yet to install them. For having tried both, do you reckon I should get more camber with the Vorshlag, without cutting the strut tower, or is 2.2 pretty much the max you can get irrespective of brand?
I think you can get more than 2.2 with the Vorshlag without cutting. I think I got a little over 3 when I first put them in. Just had to go for more though. It was a very worthwhile thing, that car was on rails.

Think about biting the bullet and doing the camber plates once with the Vorshlags. It stings the pocket book in the beginning but could save you in the long run buy not having to purchase and maybe pay for labor on a second set when you realize you want/need more camber. The second set will probably end up being Vorshlags... I'm at 3 without cutting the towers on an S197. If you can't afford now you could take the offer on the camber bolts and have a good alignment shop max you out and have fun. It might be harder on the tires but gives you time to save.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
View attachment 94665 Nothing says , Bang for your buck , like simply drilling the towers and getting -3 degrees that will never go out of adjustment. It's old school but it works!

View attachment 94666
I had actually considered doing this! My only concern was not being able to adjust it later if I decided to change the setup but I guess I could just buy camber plates at that point

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nova Scotia Canada
Think about biting the bullet and doing the camber plates once with the Vorshlags. It stings the pocket book in the beginning but could save you in the long run buy not having to purchase and maybe pay for labor on a second set when you realize you want/need more camber. The second set will probably end up being Vorshlags... I'm at 3 without cutting the towers on an S197. If you can't afford now you could take the offer on the camber bolts and have a good alignment shop max you out and have fun. It might be harder on the tires but gives you time to save.
Buy once cry once. That is a good way to look at it as well. Does Vorshlag still make the camber plates for the s197 new or would I have to find them used

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I appreciate it but my guess is shipping them to me would be more expensive then me just buying them with me being in Canada and all
Meet me in Thunder Bay, I'll leave them under a bench for you at Tim Hortons!
Sorry, I should have looked where you were located. I think this box of camber bolts have been sitting around here for 6-8 years.

Yikes! I'm glad I got mine in 2021. They went up just like everything else. You definitely do get what you pay for though.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
Add me to the Vorschlag list. I've got them installed on my '18 and just need to get them installed on my '08. I notched the towers on my '18, but don't get anywhere close to them at the 2.7 degrees I'm set at. When I initially took it in to get aligned I was well over 3 degrees without getting into the notch. The price has definitely gone up the last couple of years. I'm glad I got them when I did.

TMO Supporting Vendors