The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Battery issues round two

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Still on my OEM battery at 4.5 yrs. Keep it on a tender when it's stored or not being driven regularly, and no issues so far.

I'm thinking about replacement next year, though, with a light weight Li Ion-type battery. Braille is pretty well known, but these Antigravity batteries, 6 and 10 lbs respectively, have me intrigued. Damn they're pricey, though!

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/oem-size/ytx12-24/
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/rs-20/

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
302 Hi Pro said:
OEM replacement battery is found here: I entered my VIN but the search results didn't seem to be VIN specific as 3 batteries came up, (6 cyl, 8 cyl 5.0, 8 cyl 5.4)

Looks like our battery is $100 MSLP, now I need a Service/Parts discount coupon to pick one up at my local dealer parts department.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=xGNclO6br3HvKcMeqHeeEQ%3d%3d&id=399010652&m=44&search=true&year=2012&make=Ford&model=Mustang

2HP

Beautify day here, so time to run the Boss. But, click, click, click. Battery inspection shows a small crack in the top of the battery case. This is why I had crud build up on my negative terminal last month. Crack came from the negative battery terminal.

After thinking about it, I went with the OEM replacement battery BXT-96R-500. It was 119.95 online and picked up at my local Ford Dealer's parts counter.

302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro. Mine is doing the same thing as yours with a Motorcraft replacement battery. Negative cable has all kinds of white nasty on it. Will ford replace it if i have a receipt?

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
steeda5 said:
302 Hi Pro. Mine is doing the same thing as yours with a Motorcraft replacement battery. Negative cable has all kinds of white nasty on it. Will ford replace it if i have a receipt?

I can say that my new battery has a 36 month full warranty and then is prorated afterwards for Total of 100 months from date of purchase.

How old is your battery receipt? And where did you buy it?
2HP

Bay Area
steeda5 said:

You should have a 100 month warranty on the battery. The Stealers don't like that but it's a motorcraft warranty. They will try to deep cycle your battery to see if it will hold. A charge which is 159 if it does work. But since you know it's effed up who cares. Just drop it off and let Ford pay the bill

Just found the receipt. It was purchased July 15,2015. Has about 3500 miles on it as of today. The battery holds a charge ok. Just not a big fan of the nasty white crude all over the negative cable. Is that crude most likely from a crack/degas in the battery itself?
Brian

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
steeda5 said:
Just found the receipt. It was purchased July 15,2015. Has about 3500 miles on it as of today. The battery holds a charge ok. Just not a big fan of the nasty white crude all over the negative cable. Is that crude most likely from a crack/degas in the battery itself?
Brian

Hi Brian:

Yes, I had the same crud buildup on the negative battery terminal and it happened fairly quickly, 4-5 weeks during a low use period.

I cleaned and inspected the battery top cover and found a small case crack coming from the negitive post. You should clean and inspect yours.

Upon removal of the battery I found some corrosion one the two battery tray mounting screws, (top screws). Had to remove, clean and reinstall.

Let us know about your battery replacement. If it is cracked, then it's covered under warranty as Motorcraft batteries have a 36 month replacement period and then Pro-rated thereafter. Also if cracked, no electrical testing is needed.

All the best,
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors