The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Carbon Fiber 3D Printed Battery Tray for Li Battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello fellow members, it's been a while!

In my quest for greater performance the biggest drawback to the s550 is its weight. Coming in at 3,500 - 4,000 lbs (Depending on which model), it's no lightweight. One of the easiest parts to address is the OEM battery. The Antigravity ATX-20 HD Li battery comes in at 4.6 lbs and deletes 19.8 lbs and is as simple as...installing a battery. ;)

However one of the things about a Lithium-ion battery is that is smaller than the stock unit and does not fit in the battery box. That's where I come in.

I've designed/developed a 3D printed battery tray out of Nylon Carbon Fiber that weighs 160 grams (.35 lbs) and fits the battery and housing perfectly!
1-jpg.jpg

About the material: Nylon Carbon Fiber Filament is the perfect combination of tough and light. With a density about 33% lower than Nylon Flame filament and a tensile strength about 58% greater than ordinary nylon you get less mass and more strength.

I teamed up with a local business to prove and develop the concept. We went through 18 design iterations and 5 finished prints on top of several spools of filament. The latest one is currently installed in my Mustang.
img_5238-jpg.jpg
img_5247-jpg.jpg
img_5250-jpg.jpg

My OEM style battery weighs in at 24.4 lbs. Other brands may differ slightly.
img_5273-jpg.jpg

The AntiGravity ATX-20 HD comes in at 4.6 lbs and a lot smaller.
img_5272-jpg.jpg

Let me know what you think!

What physically holds the battery down to the battery tray?
The battery cables and there's the OEM cover on top of that sealing up the battery compartment.

With the cables there, it's not going anywhere. Those things are stiff. I actually had to specifically
orient the tray position to accommodate the cables. Its slightly forward facing.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Morris Engineering did this for the S197 years ago using CNC'd aluminum billet and the AntiGravity YTX battery. The weight savings was significant, but the YTX did not hold up in the car. The $450 batteries only lasted a year or so before swelling up. I suspect it is the mustang charging system not being compatible with the lithium battery. I tried emailing AntiGravity customer support a couple of times and never got a response. I went back to the stock tray and conventional battery after the second AntiGravity had the same problems in about 16 months. It just wasn't worth it for non-competitive HPDE use.

Morris Engineering did this for the S197 years ago using CNC'd aluminum billet and the AntiGravity YTX battery. The weight savings was significant, but the YTX did not hold up in the car. The $450 batteries only lasted a year or so before swelling up. I suspect it is the mustang charging system not being compatible with the lithium battery. I tried emailing AntiGravity customer support a couple of times and never got a response. I went back to the stock tray and conventional battery after the second AntiGravity had the same problems in about 16 months. It just wasn't worth it for non-competitive HPDE use.

Very interesting and thanks for the heads up on that. So far the ATX has worked flawlessly but I will keep an eagle eye on that.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The battery cables and there's the OEM cover on top of that sealing up the battery compartment.

With the cables there, it's not going anywhere. Those things are stiff. I actually had to specifically
orient the tray position to accommodate the cables. Its slightly forward facing.
Unfortunately this will not pass tech for most tracks. Can you add a positive way to secure the battery?

Can the bottom be open so the battery sits in the stock battery box? Then just close the top off so that its not able to come up vertically?
Great question and we explored that as an option. Unfortunately the +/- cables do not have that level of travel to them.

we are currently working on an arm and will have that ready within a day or two.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
California
I love this, but agree it needs a physical tie down to pass any inspections. I have the same battery in my car so with a tie down on top to secure it I would 100% be ready to buy.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Except these tiny batteries are not reliable for starting a coyote. I tried 2 different ones and they were completely hit and miss on starting a hot engine. I had to park on a slope between sessions to ensure I could at least bump start it. Biggest concern was if you stalled it during a session (like from a spin) would the damn thing restart? I never found out, I went back to a group 24 battery and life is good. I tried a Braille nicad and a li ion, can't remember the make of it and neither of them were reliable.

Hey fellow TMO members,

It's been a while (Lots of life happened in the past 6 months) but I finally got a developed prototype ready to go.
Currently it's in the hands, and under the hood of a couple Beta Testers. Me being one of them.

I'm modifying the top strap to have a larger "window" to see all the indicator lights. Screenshots to follow.

TMO Supporting Vendors