The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Beaten by Camaros

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I would like to go with 295/30-19 but having a hard time finding a wheel with the right offset. The 302LS wheels would probably rub with the 19 x10 inch wheel and 47mm offset. The 19 in SVE drifts have 35mm offset but are only 9.5 wide. As it is the front wheels at 275 have lots of space to the outside, but already had to reduce size in a section of the brake ducts to get by the bigger tire.

The 295/30-19 gives me 26in diameter and Hoosier and Toyo have the tires. Was using http://www.willtheyfit.com to see offset etc.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Before any one else says it.... Yes looking at the 18 x 10 drifts and 295/30-18 tires again. At least those should fit with no problems

Mad Hatter (ex splatter) said:
Before any one else says it.... Yes looking at the 18 x 10 drifts and 295/30-18 tires again. At least those should fit with no problems

Then that is the way to go. I assume you're looking at BFG Rivals (judging by tire size)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Actually after having a tire which you can rotate to use both sides like the Direzza IIZ, I went off the BFGs. Probably R6 or Toyo R888. Its such a shame to use up only one side of the tire!!

"P" springs are no where stiff enough. I don't know the spring rates, but from what I know they aren't as stiff as the "K" springs and those still aren't enough (rates have been posted). All you're doing is lowering the car, really.

There really is no good drop in spring set for serious track, but also street friendly. Only thing close I've seen are Late Model lowering springs, Steeda Boss/Comp springs, GT500 performance pack springs and MM lowering springs (too low). H&R Race are stiff enough, but too stiff for street.

Spend money on larger, stickier tires, more camber (around -2.5), good shocks, sway bars (at least rear - Strano's bar has good rates) and cooling (more consistent power).

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Grant 302 said:
I *told* you six months ago on SVTP ;)

For those interesting in one of the tracks:
las-vizcachas.jpg
splatter/mad hatter, if that's the track you are getting spanked on, i can see the issue. you have a series of near 180 degree turns. our cars absolutely detest doing this in stock or near stock form. your comment about having to let off mid turn to get the back end to rotate demonstrates what i just said. the best advice i can give you is to run -2.5 camber and set toe to 1/16" to 1/8" toe OUT. this will help keep the front from washing out mid-turn. it is not advisable settings for lots of street duty(excessive tire wear and darty steering), but will help out on track. also, as mentioned, wider tires will help keep tires from overheating in those 180 degree turns, which will help prevent the front end push.

there is also driving techniques you can use to get a mustang to hang on in a 180 degree turn. the line should be deep and HARD braking, turn in near the back and SUPER late apex. this will make a sharper turn to begin, but it opens up before your front grip would normally give up. the hard braking before the turn in will put the weight of the vehicle on the front tires and allow for "superhuman" grip during that shorter dwell turn situation. this will also induce the rear to kick out slightly, which also helps accomplish the sharper turn and set the car in the right direction to open up the steering and roll on power before your late apex.
8ra0.jpg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Its only about 2500 feet, but yes, last event was 90+ degrees and after 5 laps I was overheating!! Next time I will remove the front grill or get the 302S grill

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just a quick update of the Latin version of the Pony wars!! Still behind, but not by so much. Our last run of the day was rear wheel drive only with my boss at 1:16.685, the pair of ZL1s getting 1:15.038 and 1:14.764, The race prepped Camaro SS with 1:13.20 and the winner a Ferrari Italia at 1:12.380. Just in front of me at 1:16.427 was a M3 with a supercharger and 650 whp.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/dwIdWG3HTNE[/youtube]

As others said, you can be faster in turns with:

1) More practice:
let us take an extreme example, if Randy Pobst or your favorite pro race driver gets behind the wheel in your very same car, would'nt you think they will be faster than the ZL1 or the other camaros? Weight transfer technique, trailbraking, left foot braking and all the craziness that they do!

2) Wider and stickier tires:
Makes sense, does not it? More contact patch is needed for heavy cars like ours.

3) Please don't think that more power will make you faster in corners, on the contrary, more power will guarantee a faster happening oversteer and loss of control.
Ford gave us A LOT of power and our cars are UNDER-chassised, clearly.
I think our cars are under damped, good dampers might tame the car more than stiffer springs. I might be wrong though.

4) Better brakes with more stopping authority.

Congratulations for being able to narrow the gap between you and the camaros!!

Take everything I said with a grain of salt, because I am neither a good driver nor have big suspension mods nor have big rubbers, but my brain is going to explode from searching the online forums to get as much reviews and opinions as possible in order to make my Boss 302 a better handling car.

Heck, I am renting Mercedes C250 sedan now, I can assure you it feels more predictable and easy to manuveur than the Boss, it is not faster than the boss by stretch of imagination and it will win no races and it will pull no high Gs, but it is easier to drive and has more planted rear end granted that it has only 201 HP.

TMO Supporting Vendors