The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curious if I drop the front flange of the driveshaft can I assemble the MGW and install a full assembled shifter box up from under the car? I was going to do the MGW at the same time as BF bracket.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Calif boss302 said:
Curious if I drop the front flange of the driveshaft can I assemble the MGW and install a full assembled shifter box up from under the car? I was going to do the MGW at the same time as BF bracket.
it would be hard to bolt it back up in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drano38

Wayne
Went for a short test drive today.
Shifting is very clean. Sure can tell the shifter is attached to the trans.
But under hard acceleration, I get some good vibration/chatter. Maybe I pushed the bracket too high when I tightened the 8 bolts. I followed the directions--up all the way then down 1/8".
I'll have it back on jacks this weekend for brake bleed/tire swap, so I guess I'll loosen those bolts and drop it a bit. But I hate to scratch that beautiful blue paint when I loosen the bolts. :(

skwerl

tree hugger
Calif boss302 said:
Absolutely move the driveshaft out of your way. No reason to work that hard trying to squeeze your fingers around it. I took one look at the access, threw out the instructions and pulled the driveshaft.

Received mine today also. Seemed like a small package but once I picked it up I knew what it was ;D Tried to get all the pieces back inside the box to protect it from the 1.5 y/o destroyer-of-everything-new that has taken up residence in my house after opening it to admire the BR logo. Steve, do you play Tetris every day?! I could not get all of the few pieces to fit in the box again!... But on the plus side the 1.5 y/o (Raymond) understood "beer, go to momma" the very first time I dictated the command to him and he fetched me a bear in one hand and an bottle opener in the other. Kids are great! I can't wait to get both of them into their 12V Mustangs! I hope this shifter fix and proper maintenance will allow them the experience of driving the Boss in 16 years.

This is my plan as well . . . Being the "prepper" that I am, I went ahead and ordered new driveshaft flange bolts from American Muscle that arrived yesterday. So I have my list things needed for Saturday morning:
67" Race Ramps for front
Pinch weld magnetic jacking blocks for floor jack
Jack Stands for the rear
12mm 12 point socket for driveshaft bolts
10mm swivel socket to remove stock shifter
15mm ratchet wrenches for BF bracket
Beer on ice
Garage door shut so the neighbors don't hear me cussing and tossing tools in the garage!

It should be a fun morning . . .

skwerl said:
Absolutely move the driveshaft out of your way. No reason to work that hard trying to squeeze your fingers around it. I took one look at the access, threw out the instructions and pulled the driveshaft.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I believe you need a 17mm socket as well for the three lower bolts (loosen 1/4") that the lower portion of the bracket mounts to.... and a torque wrench :)

Thanks . . .I have that just had to buy the 15mm ratchet and 10mm swivel socket. Now if I can just keep the skin on my knuckles and the cussing to a minimal I should be all set. ;D

JScheier said:
I believe you need a 17mm socket as well for the three lower bolts (loosen 1/4") that the lower portion of the bracket mounts to.... and a torque wrench :)

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Calif boss302 said:
Thanks . . .I have that just had to buy the 15mm ratchet and 10mm swivel socket. Now if I can just keep the skin on my knuckles and the cussing to a minimal I should be all set. ;D

Knuckle skin is still intact. Many scratches on my forearms from welding slag on the chassis. Job was really pretty easy... Steve did a great job (as always) with this kit.

drano38 said:
Went for a short test drive today.
Shifting is very clean. Sure can tell the shifter is attached to the trans.
But under hard acceleration, I get some good vibration/chatter. Maybe I pushed the bracket too high when I tightened the 8 bolts. I followed the directions--up all the way then down 1/8".
I'll have it back on jacks this weekend for brake bleed/tire swap, so I guess I'll loosen those bolts and drop it a bit. But I hate to scratch that beautiful blue paint when I loosen the bolts. :(

My review would be identical. I too get the vibration and chatter on moderate to hard acceleration. I've followed the directions and have set it up twice now but the results are the same. I'll try one more time before I remove it and go back to my prior setup. I don't fault the BFR bracket but rather my transmission. Although my transmission performs just fine, I believe I have one that is a bit noisier than others... Kinda like some diffs are noisy and others not, some driveshafts vibrate and others not... If someone has a tip before I or Drano go back under please advise. Fingers crossed...

JScheier said:

You do need a 17mm, but it is for the bolts holding the BFR bracket to the shifter up top.

I installed my bracket after work today. A buddy came by and helped out, a second set of hands (and younger eyes) made it quick work. Pulled into the driveway at 4:30 and was heading out for a test run by 6:00, and that included running to the store to get a longer extension to reach the top bolts with my torque wrench.
Pretty easy install. I put the front up on Race Ramps and had plenty of room. Very nice piece of kit from Steve, great product, great instructions and great results. I have a bit of vibration in the shifter, but I expect that with a solid mount. No noise or rattles. If I'm honest, I never had issues with my shifter with the stock mount, but now it feels more connected and direct. I'm happy.

Highpower11 said:
My review would be identical. I too get the vibration and chatter on moderate to hard acceleration. I've followed the directions and have set it up twice now but the results are the same. I'll try one more time before I remove it and go back to my prior setup. I don't fault the BFR bracket but rather my transmission. Although my transmission performs just fine, I believe I have one that is a bit noisier than others... Kinda like some diffs are noisy and others not, some driveshafts vibrate and others not... If someone has a tip before I or Drano go back under please advise. Fingers crossed...
Same thing for me as well. I went & re adjusted the upper bracket twice, lowered 1/8" & then 1/4". Have also tried to tighten the lower bolts first, then the shifter bracket bolts second. Did not make any difference. Plenty of room between the shifter box & tunnel, not contacting. Still getting a 'rattle' in the actual shifter 2nd through 5th during acceleration. Can't hear it with the windows down, but quite obvious with the windows up. Almost seems like the shifter shaft is buzzing in the shifter housing. I have the stock shifter in mine. Will have to ask Steve about this.

aircare84 said:
Same thing for me as well. I went & re adjusted the upper bracket twice, lowered 1/8" & then 1/4". Have also tried to tighten the lower bolts first, then the shifter bracket bolts second. Did not make any difference. Plenty of room between the shifter box & tunnel, not contacting. Still getting a 'rattle' in the actual shifter 2nd through 5th during acceleration. Can't hear it with the windows down, but quite obvious with the windows up. Almost seems like the shifter shaft is buzzing in the shifter housing. I have the stock shifter in mine. Will have to ask Steve about this.

Have you ever taken the stock shifter apart?
I remember there was a rubber gasket between the upper and lower part of the shifter assembly. If that gasket's damaged you may get some metal-to-metal contact. Also, may be a worthwhile to take your center console and check out the shifter assembly for loose bolts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rbx-U_cK9Rg

I have a noise that arose after the installation of the shifter bracket. I have the stock shifter also. I have tried adjusting the bracket up and down with no change in the noise. Is this the same noise that others are hearing? It is a very metallic sound, and as you can see, I have an aftermarket shift knob. I installed the original knob, with no change. For some reason, if I run with no shift knob, it makes no noise.

Very nice product Blowfish! Great, clear instructions. I am running the stock shifter, stock mounts. A little vibration when grabbing the shifter (no big deal to me), but I am pleasantly surprised with no change in NVH. It will be interesting to get out on the track and see the difference, especially with higher rpm shifts. Good times!

drano38

Wayne
aircare84 said:

That's not what I wanted to hear. . .
Tonite I loosened the 8 bolts and lowered the bracket to the lowest setting, about 1/2". Shifter height now about where stock bracket was. Didn't get out for a test drive, so will report back Saturday.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I had a very similar issue with my Boss when I installed a Stiffler drive shaft loop. Turned out the bracket was contacting the cross member at times.

All chassis vibration came through the bracket. Very noise.

I had to relieve the bracket a bit. Problem solved.

Have a look at the bracket and see it its touching or near to touching the cross member. If so, adjust.

I think the problem may actually be where the bracket makes contact with the bottom of the shifter assembly.
either take the bracket off and cut out a piece of gasket and put it in between, or put some RTV, if you want to go the messy way.

The circled area, does the shifter assembly make contact with the shifter?
SSB-1_zpsf05cb97e.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors