The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blowfish Racing Shifter Fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlwdvm said:
I have a Barton shifter and it now has a significant amount of NVH (bag of marbles) during acceleration. It also seems to get worse after the car has a little chance to warm up. I have tried moving the bracket up, down, etc. I placed a piece on Dynamat on the top of the bracket to make sure it wasn't hitting the bottom of the shifter. I took the counsel apart last weekend to make sure the boot was in place, all the bolts were tight, etc. I had very little vibration going from the stock shifter to the Barton....now it is on the verge of being annoying while driving around town. It does shift better though...I guess you can't have it all!

I now have the same issue with my Barton. Just install the bracket Saturday. Buzz buzz buzz! Put the stock shift knob back on and it changed the tone of the buzz. It's now a little deeper in tone.

After spending the day at Atlanta Motorsports Park, add me to the list of believers. Shifting under load was effortless and there was absolutely no evidence of the transmission wanting to lock me out of any gear. Both up and downshifts were handled without drama; it was a nice change! I'm looking forward to Road Atlanta in two weeks, which requires a 7000+ rpm 4-5 shift that has been problematic in the past. If the car shifts as well there, I will go from believer to evangelist ;D

I had the Car out yesterday, my MGW Shifter and Blow Fish Bracket has developed a rattle at higher RPM Shifting.I have rounded mount rear, low as possible with Bracket, and rubber on the studs from original.Dont know what would cause this ? I love the feel of the new set up,even the vibrating shifter Ball, but this rattle has to be fixed.I wonder if it is the shifter linkage?

skwerl

tree hugger
The resonating vibration I can feel in the shifter while cruising is probably coming from inside the transmission IMO. The MGW shifter and Blowfish bracket are very nice pieces but in the end they are just band aids for a crappy gearbox. If I ever develop enough love for this car that I want to keep it long term then I'll spring for a T56 Magnum and be done with it (except I'll need gears as well since the T56 has such a tall first gear).

Or I may just get rid of the car.

skwerl said:
The resonating vibration I can feel in the shifter while cruising is probably coming from inside the transmission IMO. The MGW shifter and Blowfish bracket are very nice pieces but in the end they are just band aids for a crappy gearbox. If I ever develop enough love for this car that I want to keep it long term then I'll spring for a T56 Magnum and be done with it (except I'll need gears as well since the T56 has such a tall first gear).

Or I may just get rid of the car.

The trans isn't all that crappy, if you think a T56 doesn't have it's little eccentricities go watch my video in The Paddock. Also the GT500's have a T56, all be it the remote mount shifter design and it too has issues, probably from the fact that it is a remote mounted shifter.

Mounted the Blowfish bracket a few weeks ago, and i had a rattle at certain rpms, especially at downshifting. Today i removed the MGW-Bracket and there were deep scratches from the original mounting studs. I cutted the edges of the MGW-Bracket, and i noticed no more rattle and noise since!
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3783/ujsclu73_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3783/4v2fn3ki_jpg.htm

Hans

when mounting the rounded part of the MGW-Bracket switched to the front, i couldn´t go in first or rear.

skwerl

tree hugger
Brandon302 said:
The trans isn't all that crappy, if you think a T56 doesn't have it's little eccentricities go watch my video in The Paddock. Also the GT500's have a T56, all be it the remote mount shifter design and it too has issues, probably from the fact that it is a remote mounted shifter.
The GT500 trans is a TR6060 which is similar to a T56 but not identical. I had the T56 Magnum in my Bullitt so I have some experience with the transmission. I'm not just pulling opinions out of my butt.

skwerl said:
The GT500 trans is a TR6060 which is similar to a T56 but not identical. I had the T56 Magnum in my Bullitt so I have some experience with the transmission. I'm not just pulling opinions out of my butt.

If it works for you then it works for you, just giving my opinion as well. Though what isn't an opinion, from what I have read, is the TR6060 and T-56 are the same trans where one is solid mount and the other remote mount.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Darren

I got to ask you. What do you expect from this site?

Guys and gals send their questions, comments or opinions to either share their knowledge and passion for our sport, to learn from the group and some just to shoot the breeze. Most keep the exchange at a civilized level.

When you disagree or if you feel someone else's comments are incorrect, you cut them down hard. Why??

This site, like most, is intended for the exchange of information. Yet, if you disagree with a opinion or attempt to contribute, you insult and tell folks to shut up. Not the best way to promote and open exchange of ideas.

You do appear to be knowledgeable about Mustangs and cars in general. Your off color comments detract for the conversation.

If you want to again PM me and cuss me out, go for it.

For the sake of open dialog, Please keep the insults off the public portion of the site.

Plenty of sites where that sort of comment is common. Should be easy to find.

I have the barton shifter, and i am experiencing an extreme amount of vibrations after 2500rpm all the way up past 7000rpm. The car shifts so much better, but the amount of noise is just to much ive removed the ball, and it still makes the noise. If anybody has any suggestions I am all ears, and would appreciate it.

Steve,

I have run the bracket for a couple track weekends and your product delivers. I have no issues with up and down shifts after the install. Even with an RXT, MGW, Rev Auto Stage 1, clutch line, and white line insert I had to ease the car between gears until I installed your mount.

The masterg8 said:
I have the barton shifter, and i am experiencing an extreme amount of vibrations after 2500rpm all the way up past 7000rpm. The car shifts so much better, but the amount of noise is just to much ive removed the ball, and it still makes the noise. If anybody has any suggestions I am all ears, and would appreciate it.

I have the Ford Racing shifter (aka Barton) and I too have the vibration and associated noise when using this bracket. The BFR bracket seems to have great success with the OEM and MGW shifter but I see more and more Barton Folks are having issues. I've removed the BFR bracket waiting on an update.

I've just installed with the OEM shifter and also have quite an increase in NVH as expected but a significantly better felling shift action. May end up going back to stock for a while though until an update is available as this is my daily driver. Also need to get a 'nibble' when going into 1st, 2nd and 3rd looked at so probably better be stock. Great product overall, inventive and very well engineered.

dabossinne said:
So it sounds like the vibration issues are mostly happening with aftermarket shifters (MGW and Barton/FRPP). Any vibes with the OEM shifter?

Yes, some with the stock shifter have the rattle as well. Have it with my stock shifter. Vibration increase I expected & does not bother me. the improved shifting I gained is enough for me to keep mine installed while Blowfish works on the noise issue.

Georgia
dabossinne said:
So it sounds like the vibration issues are mostly happening with aftermarket shifters (MGW and Barton/FRPP). Any vibes with the OEM shifter?

I have the MGW shifter and absolutely no vibration! I placed a small piece of rubber tubing on the original mount studs (to floor pan) just in case the rear bracket touched (it is very close).

Shifter performed flawlessly at CMP a few weeks ago.

I couldn't be happier, great product!

I recently modified a beta mount Steve gave me that keeps the precision of the original snout bracket but greatly reduces the noise. I will be testing it today to see if the rattle is there any longer, I could barely if at all hear it last night while driving home.

Tried couple variations with position in tunnel, up high and down low. Have factory lower shifter with Hurst upper. Changed from aftermarket ball to t handle. Noise is still bad even over kooks sidepipes. May put factory mount back in until fix is released.

https://vimeo.com/110404105
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69mustangman said:
Tried couple variations with position in tunnel, up high and down low. Have factory lower shifter with Hurst upper. Changed from aftermarket ball to t handle. Noise is still bad even over kooks sidepipes. May put factory mount back in until fix is released.

https://vimeo.com/110404105
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That certainly is bad, I did notice during a WOT pull the other day that I still hear a rattle but it is much more faint then that.

TMO Supporting Vendors