The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well car is in the paint shop hope to have it out next week.... ha!! always have keep positive..

In the mean time my intrepid mechanic has been working on a 2018 S550 automatic for drag. the gen 3 dyno numbers are pretty impressive.

With 93, lth, JLT cai and custom catless exhaust and his own in house tune, he got.....

1626397588034.png

Then with E85 he got
1626397626356.png

and at the end with 93 and a shot of nitrous....

1626397674856.png

Some pretty stout numbers, was impressed with the Gen3 motor and you don't have to change injectors to run E85. Told him to keep learning about tuning on other peoples cars!! I will stay with AED as long as he will have me since he has a lot of hours tuning behind him. But hats off to my guy for diving into something new. Most of the tuners down here are engine busters.... add advance till it explodes, then go back a degree. Well, some in the US follow that road as well.

The Nitrous graph makes me nervous as some of his cars will be my competition once we hit the track. But thats what makes us want to go faster or thats what one keeps telling oneself....
Gen 3 crate engines are starting to look pretty good. It took us a ton of effort and money to get to 470rwhp on a Gen1.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ha! turns out the paint was full of faults so the Boss went back to the paint shop for a fix and will be ready to see on Monday.

In the mean time, was mulling over a Melling or Boundry oil pump. Both sound good but I liked that the Melling is setup so you can change the spring for regular or higher pressure. The current motor oil pressure goes to 75psi and no higher, its probably fine, but its a nagging thought.

So the Boundary pump with the billet steel backing plate and billet gear with Martenwear hardening is US$699

The Melling pump comes with billet gears as well a 95 and 110psi bypass spring that you can swap for US$550.

Since the price is not that much different, just wanted to get the better one... But which one is better to get the oil pressure up and keep the engine safe?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Ha! turns out the paint was full of faults so the Boss went back to the paint shop for a fix and will be ready to see on Monday.

In the mean time, was mulling over a Melling or Boundry oil pump. Both sound good but I liked that the Melling is setup so you can change the spring for regular or higher pressure. The current motor oil pressure goes to 75psi and no higher, its probably fine, but its a nagging thought.

So the Boundary pump with the billet steel backing plate and billet gear with Martenwear hardening is US$699

The Melling pump comes with billet gears as well a 95 and 110psi bypass spring that you can swap for US$550.

Since the price is not that much different, just wanted to get the better one... But which one is better to get the oil pressure up and keep the engine safe?
I like the boundary. That billet pump housing is awesome. Read up on it.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
We were looking at installing the master cylinder fromm the S550 to go along with the 15" brembos. Since the lines are opposite to the S197 setup we thought this would make it easier. Its a good excuse to add some brake fluid capacity and separate out the clutch reservoir as well.

1628627482151.png

The longer pedal feel has never really bothered me much, but we tried the S550 kit on a s197 with regular brakes pads. The lack of feel was much more obvious then on my aggressive pagid pads.

Any ways, its getting installed on the other car first so we can see how it works out.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, signed up for a trackday on the 29th, its been so long that I am a little nervous! Can't wait to try out the new front shocks, apart from that, the car is as we left it before the clutch decided to explode. Its at a smaller, more technical track, but its a track, and thats what counts. Hopefully we have an event at our big track next month. The good news is that 3 of the Cayman gt4 cars are going, so it should be fun...

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Any ways, its getting installed on the other car first so we can see how it works out.
In case you haven't seen this:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
.....and you definitely are pumping out solid HP! Interested to see how you do down the straights?

PS - how much does your car weigh now?

On our regular track the car is getting to 140mph (must be getting old, not huge fan of this part). last time we weighed it the car was at 1570 Kg with 1/4 tank of gas and no driver.... (3454lbs).

Mi mechanic is at me everyday to strip the interior of the Boss and drop another 100kg (including stripped doors etc)... but the idea brings tears to my eyes still. As you get older, you get more emotional....

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
In case you haven't seen this:
Thanks I forgot about that thread. Odd thing is... That the S550 MC does have the reverse setup on the brake lines, so maybe they sold him the wrong used older unit?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thanks I forgot about that thread. Odd thing is... That the S550 MC does have the reverse setup on the brake lines, so maybe they sold him the wrong used older unit?
Depends on the year, I know the early/late s197's have opposite bolt patterns.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Lose the weight , the old rule of thumb is you gain a second for every 100 lbs your car loses ( based on a 2 mile track ). Or just think about the other benefit, weight off the car means you can chow down more often and not worry about hitting an extra bottle of fine Chilean wine on occasion.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The Boss says I can drive as long as I weigh less then 190 lbs! Once we get the car at a stable time on our big track I think its time too strip the interior and see if we can get to 3300lbs. That would give me a Hp/kg ratio of 3.19. The GT4's will be at 3.47 :hellyeah:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Do it , I am under 3300 lbs with just a little fuel and I too weigh 190 ----- of course I really should be around 170, ha! Yep, I am drinking that extra bottle of Chilean wine for you, or maybe it is the Oreos?!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
The wife is in Japan so its been mainly beer for me. Not healthy to finish a bottle a night by oneself!!

My mechanic found the pictures of @Fabman 's roll cage and he has been bugging me to do the same. Once we started to hit higher speeds I can see were he is coming from. Might as well drop the weight to offset the extra kg from the cage.

On our previous tracks configuration, we would hit 135mph for a sec right before we hit the brakes. But now with our long straight on the new section of the track we stay quite a while at flat out in 5th gear and the surface is not that great. You arrive at 140+mph to a bumpy offcamber slightly down hill corner. The rest of the track is a gas, but this one corner is going to cause some trouble for sure. the rumor is that we have a big proper points race in Sept. Fingers crossed.

The secret weapon has arrived for the Boss. Will be sticking it on as soon as the car is out of the shop.:cool:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The wife is in Japan so its been mainly beer for me. Not healthy to finish a bottle a night by oneself!!

My mechanic found the pictures of @Fabman 's roll cage and he has been bugging me to do the same. Once we started to hit higher speeds I can see were he is coming from. Might as well drop the weight to offset the extra kg from the cage.

On our previous tracks configuration, we would hit 135mph for a sec right before we hit the brakes. But now with our long straight on the new section of the track we stay quite a while at flat out in 5th gear and the surface is not that great. You arrive at 140+mph to a bumpy offcamber slightly down hill corner. The rest of the track is a gas, but this one corner is going to cause some trouble for sure. the rumor is that we have a big proper points race in Sept. Fingers crossed.

The secret weapon has arrived for the Boss. Will be sticking it on as soon as the car is out of the shop.:cool:
We are going way too fast to be driving beer cans...a proper cage is a must.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

So tell me about this secret weapon....you can whisper it in my ear, I won't tell....

TMO Supporting Vendors