The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Or at least at least his spiritual animal. Since you said the sticker lowered your laptimes, he was kind enough to send me some.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Or at least at least his spiritual animal. Since you said the sticker lowered your laptimes, he was kind enough to send me some.
Worked for me.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
What?? now you got me wondering..... Put a gear in what?? New rear end? In the sheep? In the beer? Mind is spinning!

As to the half bottle of wine.. Its such a shame to put it away unfinished.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Oh boy, a rear gear conversation! Those can be fun. In this short track a 4.11 would be perfect. But in the longer 2.72 mile I think 4.11 would be a little tall?

But then again , with the Gforce gears. the stage 3 MT82 is a little taller.....

1628822415368.png
or my current setup....With 3.73
1628822511961.png

sadly, the 8.8 is a little more difficult to swap, the old 9inch, you just pull out the pumpkin and drop the other one in, you could knock it out in about an hour. Now you really need 2 diffs.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
As a TMO friend, get the cage done first and then worry about gears, imho. ( as your next expenditure in the completely Mad Money we all spend on our Machines ). Madhatter is sooo appropriate for you and all the rest of us , ha.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes, I think for now we will leave the car as is till be finish the cage. One problem we have is that the only suitable tubing available down here is 43mm diameter with 3.5mm thickness!! Some what over FIA specs! At least it will be solid, but rather heavy.

BS-1. Good idea about the diffs, will see If I can find one lying around.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yes, I think for now we will leave the car as is till be finish the cage. One problem we have is that the only suitable tubing available down here is 43mm diameter with 3.5mm thickness!! Some what over FIA specs! At least it will be solid, but rather heavy.

BS-1. Good idea about the diffs, will see If I can find one lying around.
Wow, that sucks…..small diameter and super thick. Not good.
There’s gotta be somewhere to get real tubing…

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Its been a problem for us down here for a long time. We use this FIA chart as our rough guide in our category.

1628867550293.png

Basically the only tubing thats readily availble is high pressure piping.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Its been a problem for us down here for a long time. We use this FIA chart as our rough guide in our category.

View attachment 67383

Basically the only tubing thats readily availble is high pressure piping.
What about ordering a cage kit from someone like Watson?

If you are really cool, you can build it out of chromoly, it can be thinner (lighter) because the CM tubing is much stronger, but it will need to be tig welded, and possibly normalized (Fabman would know) but it's much lighter than mild steel, also you can no longer use "seamed" or "welded" tubing anymore in the US except in some stock cars.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup, the one thing that is in our rule book is that the tubing must be seemless and no chromoly. The reason being that no one trusts that welding abilities are up to the chromoly down here.... :confused:

TMO Supporting Vendors