The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
Brazil has been doing sugarcane ethanol for over 3 decades, so no surprise it is readily available in your area. What are the Porsche GT4s running and what is the cost? You do seem to run some longer races and do you have a fuel cell now, because burning the alcohol off like a drunk in Vegas could mean you have fuel starvation with the El Crappo saddleback tank. I know it is a convenient trend and motors run cool, but if you are going to do some Enduros or if races tend to run 35-50 minutes , not sure I see any advantage in the long run.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup looking for help from Scotty! I have my stock tanks still and was using a 50L fuel cell with a pump and switch to top them up in the longer enduros.... If we ever run those again. Fuel consumption was probably one of the biggest issues for me... I am guessing that running E85 would mean 3/4 of a tank to run 25min

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Brazil has been doing sugarcane ethanol for over 3 decades, so no surprise it is readily available in your area. What are the Porsche GT4s running and what is the cost? You do seem to run some longer races and do you have a fuel cell now, because burning the alcohol off like a drunk in Vegas could mean you have fuel starvation with the El Crappo saddleback tank. I know it is a convenient trend and motors run cool, but if you are going to do some Enduros or if races tend to run 35-50 minutes , not sure I see any advantage in the long run.
Good point.
Yup looking for help from Scotty! I have my stock tanks still and was using a 50L fuel cell with a pump and switch to top them up in the longer enduros.... If we ever run those again. Fuel consumption was probably one of the biggest issues for me... I am guessing that running E85 would mean 3/4 of a tank to run 25min
Installing a cell is pretty easy fab wise.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I have been having issues with the 98 octane race gas we have, think it has a lot MMT and the quality seems to vary a lot....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I get about 30 min green flag racing on 15 gallons of e85.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
But so worth it -------no starvation in big sweepers and the ability to run longer races. But after losing races due to fuel pick up, once the cell was in there she rocked even better.

Crazy, though the Mach 1 is better , surprisingly, at fuel pickup , I still keep that saddleback turd tank at 1/2 full to start. Just a bit under 1/4, at one track I run, and she coughs and wheezes.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, the Boss has been dormant for a while now. The racing series that I helped set up has gone and asked for prepayment of the 8 races of the season. If you break down or can't make it, you still have to pay, its only about US$350 a race... But it just goes against the grain. So screw that. Surprise, surprise, now its mainly a Porsche series with just a few cars.

So going back to the smaller tracks and see if we can't get some budget racing going again.

Have a sneaky false knock that's holding up my switch to E85, but getting that fixed will be already to go. LU47 injectors installed and in need to log the e85 for a final track tune.
Will have to remove the passenger side header and see what we can do with it knocking on the starter motor.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well, the Boss has been dormant for a while now. The racing series that I helped set up has gone and asked for prepayment of the 8 races of the season. If you break down or can't make it, you still have to pay, its only about US$350 a race... But it just goes against the grain. So screw that. Surprise, surprise, now its mainly a Porsche series with just a few cars.

So going back to the smaller tracks and see if we can't get some budget racing going again.

Have a sneaky false knock that's holding up my switch to E85, but getting that fixed will be already to go. LU47 injectors installed and in need to log the e85 for a final track tune.
Will have to remove the passenger side header and see what we can do with it knocking on the starter motor.
:(

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
The racing series that I helped set up has gone and asked for prepayment of the 8 races of the season
Sounds like the old "If it ain't broke fix it until it is"

Sorry to hear that. Good luck in your new series. But I'll miss the enthusiastic commentators. And podium girls.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You are in the right to give them a chilly reception in Chile. What a dumb concept and it could like doom the series altogether! That might be just the ticket, after a year of low racing numbers they may realize it was a pretty good race series as originally set up.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, "had" to go racing this Saturday to support a new category we set up within another racing series.. I knew my Calimer MT82 was on its last legs, so ordered a complete rebuild setup with all new forged parts more then a month ago. Since it was a smaller track I thought that at worst, I might crap out third gear and be able to limp home.

Had fun getting pole position out of about 7 cars, including a nice c3 corvette that's coming along nicely. My only hope in winning was out lasting a wild Subaru that has most of the track records here in Chile. He missed out on the qually since he had a minor fire.

Not used to standing starts so screwed that up quite a bit but the Boss muscled back to win the first corner. Then just had to wait for about 4 laps before the 1200kg 650rwhp Subaru reeled me in and passed me on the straights like I was a traffic cone. I tried to keep up with him but shifting from 3rd to 4th, I lost the gearbox with a nasty rattle and no gears. I assume the forged input shaft broke, that's a first for me!! So coasted to the pits and DNF. Hoping the damage is not to bad inside and that the rebuild parts get the tranny up and running again soon.

On the bright side, I got my false knock eliminated at long last! The car pulled hard and felt great. Still on race gas but will be switching to E85 for the next time out. Only had a streat tune as I loaded the tune the day of the race and my race tune was corrupted and was giving me errors.

Oh!! and had my first fire!! The breather can hoses that are set up for the transmission touched the header and made for a bit of smoke and flames at the end of the qually. No serious damage. Did not have to pull the in car fire system luckily as we had a small fire extinguisher at hand.

If Calimer has a 26 spline shaft on hand I might switch from the 23 spline. Then I would have to change the clutch plate, but it would make the change to a tremec easier in the future.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
This is probably the fasted Subaru down here, its blown up at least 5 times so its been been improved over a long time. very very fast.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well of the five or six (lost count) MT82's that we have repaired, this is new.....

1681927377059.png
1681927397849.png

I hope that's not from the new fourth gear....... Assuming the input shaft is kaput since into didn't shift into any gears. Usually its just the syncro teeth that go.

TMO Supporting Vendors