The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
I corrected this for you.

Could be good at Road America. Or a big airbrake, depending on wing angle.

I really liked the way the car felt with the wing in the fast sweepers at MMP, very buttoned-down. Here's a video from Sunday's race...but the next video I post will be more interesting :)

And the second video:

Additionally, the car was very well-received by spectators, racers, and MMP FR500S race car techs alike at the track. Many people stopped to look at the car and everybody was surprised to hear I just got the car back from the body shop. Unanimous opinion was that the car looked great and was very quick (they obviously didn't see my mediocre lap times). :)

Last edited:
Looks good at MMP! I'm jealous as i love that track and wish it was 'closer' to me in SC. I was actually born in Scottsdale, AZ and lived there for many years.. Wish i was still out there so these western tracks were easier to get to! However, once the 302R is finished, we plan to haul out to Utah and CA to run MMP and Laguna! Keep it up!!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
SC BOSS said:
Looks good at MMP! I'm jealous as i love that track and wish it was 'closer' to me in SC. I was actually born in Scottsdale, AZ and lived there for many years.. Wish i was still out there so these western tracks were easier to get to! However, once the 302R is finished, we plan to haul out to Utah and CA to run MMP and Laguna! Keep it up!!

Awesome!
Gonna be racing at Laguna at the end of this month, but if it is successful we may make it a yearly trip!
I'd like to get back to Miller again when they are running the Outer Loop config as well.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Awesome pics Drew 8) Looks like you have a new sponsor on your quarterpanel :D

Yep, doing some advertising for the gentlemen that made my car right again after my little "incident" last month! :)

Here is the first pic that slipped out from the track photographer:

B9UOf0C.png

Hows the new wing working out. I'll bet you get all the down force you need and then some. It sure looks great on your boss and just wish they made something a little smaller to run on the street. Any thoughts about getting the front splitter lower to the ground. Was thinking with all that down force in the rear you may need to work on downforce in the front....Any how, Love the way the car looks...no more RCWALP. Keep posting your journey with your Boss. I love reading and watching them.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The wing felt good, the car is really planted in the fast corners. Very confidence-inspiring. No additional understeer noted due to aero imbalance.

With the splitter plus the tiger hood, there is enough front aero to make the wing work well; I might consider doing a splitter spacer on the front in the future if I want more front downforce, but that could create some issues getting the car into the trailer. We'll see.

The main purpose of the Tiger Racing hood is to decrease lift which in effect increases downforce. Someone needs to make some Canard wings for our cars.

http://aprperformance.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=84&Itemid=50

front_bumper_canards.jpg

Drew,

I notice that you didn't remove the little box behind the shifter. It says it's for the restraint system. I was thinking it could be remove as all the restraints have been removed. What's the reason you kept it?

Thanks

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Budget Boss said:
Drew,

I notice that you didn't remove the little box behind the shifter. It says it's for the restraint system. I was thinking it could be remove as all the restraints have been removed. What's the reason you kept it?

Thanks
On the wiring diagram there is a pair of wires for the fuel pump control as well as CAN+/- that go into that box (restraints control module). http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=710&viewfile=046 - Supplemental Restraint System.pdf

I figured it wasn't worth the risk of disturbing these connections, especially since all the 302R and S cars have them still.

If you pull it, report back here with results, please!

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
:)

I ran mid-pack for the weekend, the Conti GTOs were a disappointment. Swapped on my well-used P-Zero slicks for qualifying and went 1.5 seconds faster (and my fastest time of the weekend).

Saturday's race I started 18th out of 25 and finished 10th, 2nd of 3 in class (ST2).
Sunday's race I started 13th of of 20 and finished 9th, 2 of 2 in class.

So, some good racing (videos posted earlier) but nothing earth-shattering. I did have a fun time on my trip though :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel