The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS said:
I got a package from Livonia today...

1509651_10100799003332914_4806711998157901228_n.jpg

That is a nice short block capable of huge rpm. sorry if I missed it are you going with the Moroso, Canton, or Ford Racing pan or another??

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
twistedneck said:
That is a nice short block capable of huge rpm. sorry if I missed it are you going with the Moroso, Canton, or Ford Racing pan or another??

I didn't post pictures of the other packages I got last week ;)

KcZuSvn.png

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
What's a safe RPM with those valve springs?

Good question. They are "just" the stock springs that come in the BOSS engine like I have now, but I figure since I'm in there it's a great opportunity to refresh them. That box in the pic was one I ordered a while back--that's HALF the springs. The other half I had to order recently, they are in that plastic bag.

Rev limiter on my car is set to 7800. If I ever go CJ (looking very unlikely due to current power output vs. NASA ST2 power to weight regulations) I'll probably bump to 8K.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Opened up the crate to inspect the goods today:

DRfanNg.png

Or86coY.png

9URLL3s.png

i6OKjeG.png

Captdistraction and I are pulling the stock engine tomorrow AM. Got a bunch of ancillary stuff out of the way already today (fan, battery, fluids drained, etc).

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Thanks guys :)

Going with stock manifolds still, more power isn't helpful in my race class. But yes, this would absolutely be the perfect opportunity to put LTs on.

Yep--Chris' car is an ST, he just got it that same day! Pizzas were on me. :)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Arizona:

Too cool, great video, and music. Good luck with your short block build. Will you replace the idler pulleys at this time?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Wasn't planning to replace any pullies, they all spin quite freely still.

Wow getting those head bolts off was scary. Had to use a breaker bar w/ a jack handle cheater bar. They all came out clean, though.

More pics later, gotta find dinner.

9bjfgg3.png

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Won't know for certain until we tear the stock short block down, but I'm thinking rings are toast. And that's just because I'm stupid and thought that 91 + Torco additive was as good as 100.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sent the heads out for a hot-tank cleaning this morning. Should get them back tomorrow and then I can start (preventively) swapping out the valve springs for a fresh set of factory B302 springs.

Ordered new primary timing chains today as a couple links didn't move super freely on the stock ones.

I should be able to start putting this thing back together soon. This was all pretty intimidating going in but it's a lot better now.

Here are some more pictures:

Passenger Side Cylinder Head:
rSCQhdy.png

Driver's Side Cylinder Head:
KpmZ582.png

Closeup of #8 Cylinder; detonation was eating the side of the piston.
Lpy7DPi.png

Comparison of #4 and #8 Pistons (two rearmost pistons in block, opposite banks). Note the anti-friction coating rubbed away on 8, along with most of the factory machining marks. Also the ring gaps on 8 were nearly overlapping, which probably wasn't helping the oil in the combustion chamber issues.
peIo8Jm.png

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel