The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBoss and @the5,

What is both of your impression / opinion of the AJ Hartman front canards? Did you notice any improvement in front end lift?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
ArizonaBoss and @the5,

What is both of your impression / opinion of the AJ Hartman front canards? Did you notice any improvement in front end lift?
Interested in this too...got my finger on the "Buy" button......but I'd love to hear some feedback first.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
TBH I can't feel any difference but I've not done exhaustive back-to-back testing, either. I would imagine they are even more effective on the 13-14 models where you get two sets of them.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have been working on a few things since the last update.
First, I am prepping to get a 2.66 Magnum XL into the car in the second half of this year, gathering ancillary parts now. I just took delivery of an Exedy clutch from @wwilde001 , and an Energy Suspension transmission bushing based on learnings from him and @captdistraction . Planning on picking up an MGW shifter soon, as well.

Next, I have been focusing on further sealing the radiator to the front of the car, and increasing airflow to the cooling system.
I am gutting my high-flow "billet" grille and fabricobbling up a mesh insert for the grille surround.

Made this stand off for the center (for support and to shape the mesh):
Pm6mDha.jpg

Marked and drilled the plastic grille surround:
upKZ3kM.jpg

Attached via 3/16" aluminum rivets:
0t9Ouyv.jpg

Head-on view (should flow well :) ):
jVqzxhd.jpg

Side view (trying to match the angle of the front...think I will need two additional braces as well):
bNljiL5.jpg

Here is the "Mesh", it is 1/4" hex sheet. Very light and should flow much better than even the billet bar grille. It's fairly stiff but not sure how it will hold up to rock impact. We'll see.
D1oTJfd.jpg

JVuxAnr.jpg

I am hoping to make the other two supports tonight and then start figuring out how to cut the mesh so it sits cleanly in the grille surround. After that I'm thinking to attach the mesh using thin-gauge aluminum strip sandwiching the mesh to the plastic on top, bottom, and sides.

Also I clearanced the front fascia a little behind the grille to help the fascia seat properly against the oil cooler duct box, and adjusted the side "clip brackets" for the fascia so everything lines up cleanly.
I also got to use my bolt extractor for the first time on a jagged-up head of one of the underside splitter support screws...worked flawlessly. Very pleased.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Further progress on grille. Just need to spray some satin black paint, and apply an aluminum trim strip(s)--easier said than done--to hold the mesh in-place (and add some uniformity/"beauty" to the jagged mesh edges).

Q9PJQGG.jpg

M1w3lmJ.jpg

rnbEL4e.jpg

I have an extra grill that I am going to do that to. I cut the back edge to wrap the mesh though. Right where you bent it is where I cut so that I can install from the back. We'll see how that comes out.

Bondo, sanding and painting to finish after installing mesh. I'll post pics as soon as i get going on that.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have an extra grill that I am going to do that to. I cut the back edge to wrap the mesh though. Right where you bent it is where I cut so that I can install from the back. We'll see how that comes out.

Bondo, sanding and painting to finish after installing mesh. I'll post pics as soon as i get going on that.
That's not a bad idea. If I can't get my existing plan of edge trimming with Aluminum to secure the mesh, I may cut a second section of mesh and reverse the installation to attach from the backside.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@antman450 I decided to just go your route and reverse my mesh--it will indeed be much easier to secure (and much cleaner) from the back side. A couple quick cuts to reverse the bending arc and voila...

ofZFPU6.jpg

Qxx6cGG.jpg

xO2UJYc.jpg

Also there is a little "easter egg" in those pics...

Looks great. I will probably get to mine this week sometime. I cut the tabs off the back on mine. Then some filing, sanding, bondo needed for deep scratches then paint. I still need to make supports though. I was going to use some thin aluminum tubing and thread the ends I think. Like splitter braces.

Are you referring to the new Boss 302 decals laying on the table in the pictures? Are you changing the strips to white?
I noticed that immediately. I prefer white stripes on race red and grabber blue. But Drew has a black roof too. Hmmm...

Photos added:

fullsizeoutput_4f2.jpegfullsizeoutput_51b.jpeg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Personally, I think Drew has one of the best looking race cars in the sport.
I wouldn't change a thing. But that's me.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Look at this:

wTmjvgz.png

It's under stated, classy, and all business.
I would not want to see this coming up in my mirrors.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Appreciate the compliments but after 3 years it's time for a change. I'm not 100% convinced on it yet myself but I think it will look cool. Numbering/fonts will change as well.

Besides, if I don't end up liking it, I can switch it back :)

Car is going in for body repairs after this next event so it's an opportune time to freshen things up.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Appreciate the compliments but after 3 years it's time for a change. I'm not 100% convinced on it yet myself but I think it will look cool. Numbering/fonts will change as well.

Do what you gotta do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors