The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
More fabricobbling progress. Got the first of the bumper block-off plates done after I woke from my post-happy-hour "nap" tonight.
Nick's template was great; I made a few minor modifications based on what I saw on my car (should be same but *shrug*) and everything fits up nicely.

Posterboard form for test fit:
LwiWRmP.jpg

Test fit:
fsArK0m.jpg

Transferred to aluminum and cutting...
DHEuF9w.jpg

Bends completed in my bench vise...rudimentary but works well enough:
10pwYB0.jpg

Test fit of final form:
XADnEuF.jpg

Attached to existing shroud hard plastic section using fender rivets:
A7KW5Wv.jpg
kX5suOQ.jpg

Adhesive-backed neoprene strip added to bumper beam and panel edges for sealing...all done this side!
f48iglV.jpg

Will crank out the other side tomorrow AM then put the front end back on the car.
I also got fresh fender liners for the front since mine are pretty beat up (one has rub-holes in it due to tie-rod breakage incident earlier this year)...
Now I need to schedule my second windshield replacement of 2017 lol...

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
More fabricobbling progress. Got the first of the bumper block-off plates done after I woke from my post-happy-hour "nap" tonight.
Nick's template was great; I made a few minor modifications based on what I saw on my car (should be same but *shrug*) and everything fits up nicely.

Posterboard form for test fit:
LwiWRmP.jpg

Test fit:
fsArK0m.jpg

Transferred to aluminum and cutting...
DHEuF9w.jpg

Bends completed in my bench vise...rudimentary but works well enough:
10pwYB0.jpg

Test fit of final form:
XADnEuF.jpg

Attached to existing shroud hard plastic section using fender rivets:
A7KW5Wv.jpg
kX5suOQ.jpg

Adhesive-backed neoprene strip added to bumper beam and panel edges for sealing...all done this side!
f48iglV.jpg

Will crank out the other side tomorrow AM then put the front end back on the car.
I also got fresh fender liners for the front since mine are pretty beat up (one has rub-holes in it due to tie-rod breakage incident earlier this year)...
Now I need to schedule my second windshield replacement of 2017 lol...

Make a set for me too!!!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I ended up having to trim them on the car a bit to get the bumper to fit properly. Maybe it was something in the scaling but they were a bit too long as-it-was. But that's OK because the templates saved me a ton of time trying to figure this out on my own.

Got the high-flow grille finished up and installed, as well. You can't really see that there is even a grille installed from a distance. :)

143V1Ij.jpg

Diz5b5c.jpg

00ofKVp.jpg

6ZegFl5.jpg

hHOHkCu.jpg

A1heMUl.jpg

Nice work there man. Wish I was at the point where I can put final touches on my car. I'd say I'm about 30% done from finished. Grill came out great. I will try to work on my Fabricobbling grill soon and post some pics in my thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@ArizonaBOSS Do you think I will have problems with limp mode like you did with the solenoids? I have an 11. Is this something I should just do, per what you did in your posts from some time back, preemptively?

I was just re-reading your build thread and noticed that part.

Yes--I would definitely put this on your list of things to do. It won't hurt the car at all if you have an issue prior to retrofitting, but it will feel like you are down 100hp.

Yes--I would definitely put this on your list of things to do. It won't hurt the car at all if you have an issue prior to retrofitting, but it will feel like you are down 100hp.
Can you give me a quick synopsis on ho to do this and what to buy. I understand that I need to replace 4 solenoids and splice them in and solder to wiring harness, but I cannot begin to think which parts and which wires. Plus $150 is good insurance.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Here is what to buy--I'll come back with the "how to" later--but it's very simple.

You need 4 of these:
SdGuqej.jpg
They have this type connector (difficult to see but you get the idea; connector is larger than 11-12)
sfaDrCC.jpg

And 4 of these (I believe the Motorcraft WPT1214 is the correct one--whatever I ordered last time wasn't right)
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4022022&cc=3298468&jsn=531
or
These Airtex/Wells ones are the right ones but 2x the price...again, need 4:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6312231&cc=3298468&jsn=532

Here is what to buy--I'll come back with the "how to" later--but it's very simple.

You need 4 of these:
SdGuqej.jpg
They have this type connector (difficult to see but you get the idea; connector is larger than 11-12)
sfaDrCC.jpg

And 4 of these (I believe the Motorcraft WPT1214 is the correct one--whatever I ordered last time wasn't right)
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4022022&cc=3298468&jsn=531
or
These Airtex/Wells ones are the right ones but 2x the price...again, need 4:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6312231&cc=3298468&jsn=532

Perfect. So you splice the connectors in for the 2011 ones. Piece of cake.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Perfect. So you splice the connectors in for the 2011 ones. Piece of cake.
Correct. Very simple. Just do them one at a time so you don't confuse any of the solenoids :) The two wires to each solenoid can be swapped with no effect.

To replace the solenoids themselves, remove the coils on a given bank, then the valve cover. Remove the (2) bolts holding each solenoid in-place. The solenoids are interchangeable. Install the new solenoids (Be sure to keep the solenoid's actuator pin pressed in so it doesn't get caught or cocked off-direction during install) and tighten the bolts (gutentight spec, don't go too crazy as you are going into aluminum). Reinstall the valve covers and coil packs. Then tackle the pigtails.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel