The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BOSS differences vs. the GT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: what exactly is different about the BOSS?

Mark said:
why didn't Ford put a parking sensor on the splitter so I don't run it into parking blocks?

Because it won't make the car go faster. ;D

joking - Beep, Beep, Beep.....Beep, Beep, Beep (the sound my Flex makes when backing up)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
rom said:
atrain1975 said:
Can somebody please explain what a "Race Inspired Clutch" really is? Do clutches respond to inspiration? "Let's generate some friction, boys, hooah!"

Since most of us who bought or want to buy the Boss can understand mechanically on some level how clutches differ from one another, it would have been nice for Ford to state how the clutch is different mechanically and not spiritually.

I dont know the technicality of it but I can tell you from experience that it grabs near the middle of the pedal but rather spread across a short travel distance ie : to be subtle you have to dose it carefully ( comes with experience) and is nothing like the very progressive GT clutch that I drove before buying the Boss. when you drive 'spirited-ly' its actually much better, but for trafic jams its more touchy ie less progressive.

I don't know the technical/spec differences either, but I also have a Brembo GT and the clutch on the Boss is definitely 'grabbier' and agree with the comments above.

Mark said:
why didn't Ford put a parking sensor on the splitter so I don't run it into parking blocks?

Possibly because they felt that anyone who buys a Boss 302 is a highly capable and attentive driver.

joking - Beep, Beep, Beep.....Beep, Beep, Beep (the sound my Flex makes when backing up)

atrain1975 said:
Can somebody please explain what a "Race Inspired Clutch" really is? Do clutches respond to inspiration? "Let's generate some friction, boys, hooah!"

Since most of us who bought or want to buy the Boss can understand mechanically on some level how clutches differ from one another, it would have been nice for Ford to state how the clutch is different mechanically and not spiritually.

Oh my god! It works every time. Praise the lord!

cloud9 said:
I think Ford will be reasonably liberal in covering warranty claims on the Boss as they've marketed it as a track car you can drive on the street. The testing they did on the motor was unbelievable and I think they're pretty confident it will hold up to track use. They've given me two clutches (TSB), a transmission (TSB), two alternators, electric fan, driver's side mirror, front LCAs (TSB) and a gas tank already on my GT500 and the dealer knows I track my car.

Um... I hope my Boss doesn't have that many issues. My Evo never had an issue even when I was tracking it a lot and they are known for being temperamental. Drag racing or road course?

I have had several Fords over the years, my work and family have had a lot too, and they have always stood by their warranty 100% even when I sheared the tops off the suspension mounts in my Bronco jumping it (I was young and stupid). Had a rear end blow up on that same Bronco and it took out the axles too, after the warranty ran out, and the local dealer replaced it mostly under good will. I paid $200 for an entire rear end installed, including everything between the wheels. Never seen another brand that was so generous with good will coverage, even on our beat work trucks and stuff.

fastsvo said:
CaliMR: Where did you purchase your Boss from?

Ford Lincoln Fairfield. They had a white one and an orange one, but the orange one sold also.

Are you looking for one? If so, cars.com is a good way of finding them. Some of the ones listed are already sold, but you can call the dealers and ask. They will want markup, but just tell them you won't pay over MSRP and most will do it. Getting them under MSRP is harder, I had a couple places hang up on me when I asked :eek:

You might be able to get the blue one at the dealer in San Jose for under MSRP, since the interior is scratched up a bit. Then make them replace the scratched parts. The blue one near Sacramento, the dealer wouldn't do MSRP. He said no then hung up. There are a bunch of orange ones and a red one too iirc.

If you just want to know what dealer was doing the warranty work, most of it was at Varsity Ford which is closed now. Sucks, they were good guys.

I think this thread needs to be split into 2...2012 and 2013....for 2013MY many "unique" Boss features are now available on the GT that weren't in the 12MY... Recaros, Torsen, larger radiator (Track pack) etc...

Mustang 3 said:
I think this thread needs to be split into 2...2012 and 2013....for 2013MY many "unique" Boss features are now available on the GT that weren't in the 12MY... Recaros, Torsen, larger radiator (Track pack) etc...
It is pretty cool how they've pulled a lot of those features through to the GT. My buddy that runs the Ford store just ordered a base '13 GT with those options you listed and said it would be $31800. That's an awesome track car for a little over 30k.

cloud9 said:
Mustang 3 said:
It is pretty cool how they've pulled a lot of those features through to the GT. My buddy that runs the Ford store just ordered a base '13 GT with those options you listed and said it would be $31800. That's an awesome track car for a little over 30k.

Yep
Until it goes bang at the track.
I do not think Ford will stand by it then.

I think that one depends on dealership but I would not be surprised if they did stand behind a regular gt blown from track use one time. A friend years back took his dads toyota offraoding blew it when I took them to get the truck the service manager told him next one is on them.

Mark said:
Here is a summary of upgrades/changes from the GT for the 2012 Boss 302:

Powertrain
Boss 302R Intake
Forged Pistons
Upgraded Con-Rods
Race-Spec Main and Rod Bearings
Larger Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves
Hi-Lift Exhaust Cams
7500 RPM Limit
CNC’d Heads
Oil Cooler
Larger Radiator
Revised Radiator Plumbing
Revised Oil Pan Baffling
Race Inspired Clutch
3.73 Axle Ratio
Finned Aluminum Diff Cover
Limited Slip Diff with carbon fiber plates (Torsen Limited Slip Available)
Quad Exhaust
Suspension
Higher Rate Springs (lowered 11MM front – 1MM rear)
Adjustable Struts/Shocks
25MM Rear Anti-roll bar (GT is 24MM)
Tuned Electronic Steering with 3 Settings
Unique traction control system settings
Unique electronic stability control settings
TracKey - Additional Key that enables the PCM setting of the 302R (dealer flash required)

Just to say what the internals are in more depth too

Forged crank (same as a GT)
Forged Steal I-beam
Mahle Aluminum Piston (11:0:1) w/ rings
BORE: 3.63 x 3.65-in./92.2 x 92.7-mm
cross-bolted main bearing caps

My wife has a 2012 GT w/3.73 and brembo package. I have 2012 performance white boss with recaro.
The GT feels very similar at speed, stops same, got different power character, but pulls hard and is really a very good car.
The boss doesn'tmove around as much in the back, it settles quicker and seems to turn in quicker initially. The normal key is not that different really, it's faster but not like a lot faster. I main difference I've noticed between the two is that, when i get the red key out on I-10 ... (deleted useless comment)

I know I'm bad, but it is just that different.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel