The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BOSS Track Attack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Track Attack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a great time at Track Attack and the intermediate school driving the FR500S. We had some great instructors including Joe Foster, Gunnar Jeanette and Charlie Putman. I would recommend going. Had a chance to finally meet Rick, Scott and Andy tonight. It was great to finally put a face to a name. The should have a great day tomorrow.

It was nice to finally meet Gary and Scott. I met Andy at Laguna Seca. We had a blast and it was a first class event. I'll post a few photos and video later in the week.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

cloud9 said:
I had a great time at Track Attack and the intermediate school driving the FR500S. We had some great instructors including Joe Foster, Gunnar Jeanette and Charlie Putman. I would recommend going. Had a chance to finally meet Rick, Scott and Andy tonight. It was great to finally put a face to a name. The should have a great day tomorrow.

In for more details about FR500S add-on day. Sounds like they have some serious instructors!

So glad I went, it was great to meet everyone in person. I still can't believe how much they can teach in one day, I could write a book about the day. The guys there, and I mean every one of them, are very into what they do and it shows. Charlie Putman spend a lot of quality time with me and I am sure I picked up things that will help me out immensely on the track.

I was blow away at what they can do with the Boss, on street tires no less. I never thought I was good but still felt I was driving the Boss somewhat hard. That was until I went out with them, if I have driven the Boss to 30 percent of it potential that is a lot. It is going to take me a very long time to take it to 80 percent and that would scare most people to never get back into one.

I will post some vids of me and Charles, you will think I doctored the vids to show mine in slow motion and his in fast forward but I assure you they will be real. Incredible experience.

2012YellowBoss said:
I was blow away at what they can do with the Boss, on street tires no less. I never thought I was good but still felt I was driving the Boss somewhat hard. That was until I went out with them, if I have driven the Boss to 30 percent of it potential that is a lot. It is going to take me a very long time to take it to 80 percent and that would scare most people to never get back into one.
On my flight home last night I was reflecting back on my rides with Joe and Byron and just kept saying to myself over and over again.....WOW! None of us were vagina footing it around the track but the pro's took it to several levels above what we were doing. Ford has given us some amazing cars at an incredible value. I'll write up more later.

5 DOT 0 said:
There was a professional photographer there and they give participants a Track Attack flash drive with all the photos on it. I seem to have accidently deleted the video of me going off the track. ;) If anyone knows if there's a trash folder on an iPhone let me know where to find it.
Sweet! What turn? If you never go off you're not driving hard enough :D

cloud9 said:
Going into turn 16, the entry left into the attitudes. I was following a guy very close so I could pass him on the next run down the main straight and focused too much on him and not enough on my braking point. I stayed cool and kept the car straight and hit the brakes hard. I had it almost stopped and only went off by about 10 feet! I caught back up and passed him a few laps later. After the session he wondered where I went for a couple of laps and he didn't see me go off the track. Nobody else saw it either so I wanted to preserve it on video. Sometimes it's too easy to delete stuff with a touch screen. I'll be searching for a trash bin app tonight. :mad:

I almost spun it a couple of times in turn 10, fast, but the nanny saved my butt.

500px-Miller_Motorsports_Park_-_East_Course.svg.png

Nice! Kept it right on the edge and a little over! I can't wait to go next month! I agree with your comment about not expecting too much from the track key tune. I want that lopey idle!

Gary,

What was your impression of the Track Key program?

Any problems with overheating? How long was the 1 track session on the first day?

I tried to keep an open mind and realize I can still learn a lot. I think the instructors were great and the whole program was very well run. That said, I have done some intermediate schools prior to this, so I would have liked a little more advanced class. I still walked away learning a few things I can do to make me faster on the track. The problem is they have to set the program to a level where someone with no track experience can enjoy it and those with experience can enjoy it as well. I think they did a pretty good job making that compromise.

cloud9 said:

Hey Gary, what was your take on the fr500S? Have you ever driven a stock car? How does it relate to that?

Jza1736 said:
cloud9 said:

Hey Gary, what was your take on the fr500S? Have you ever driven a stock car? How does it relate to that?
If I could have both cars, I would drive the FR500S on shorter technical tracks and the Boss on power tracks. The FR500S is an awesome track car, but a little light on horsepower for tracks with long straightaways. Really cool to drive though, it's on rails! I haven't driven a stock car because I always mod them before I get them home ;) I would like to try one some day on a track like Daytona.

cloud9 said:
I tried to keep an open mind and realize I can still learn a lot. I think the instructors were great and the whole program was very well run. That said, I have done some intermediate schools prior to this, so I would have liked a little more advanced class. I still walked away learning a few things I can do to make me faster on the track. The problem is they have to set the program to a level where someone with no track experience can enjoy it and those with experience can enjoy it as well. I think they did a pretty good job making that compromise.

Every one of the instructors mentioned how fast Gary was out there. It does not take much to realize why by the comments above. There is always room to learn no matter how much you know or think you may know. I know many people who would have blown off this class because they think they are above it. If I ever want to improve the first step would be always adopt the attitude as posted, the rest will follow with practice.

I should have spent the money for the two day class, where is the smiley for kicking yourself in the ass!

One thing I am happy about is I had the chance to track the Boss prior to the school. In my case I think it really helped me pick up some great tips and the instructors picked up right away some bad habits I had adopted. This gave the opportunity to practice on things that needed the most improvement, for example looking further ahead, heal toe and entering the corners.

(IMHO) If you guys (beginners like me) get the chance to take the Boss out onto the track in a safe instructed HPDE day go ahead and do it prior to the Miller school. That said I still think some of the guys were faster then me out there who have not tracked the Boss before

5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
Going into turn 16, the entry left into the attitudes. I was following a guy very close so I could pass him on the next run down the main straight and focused too much on him and not enough on my braking point. I stayed cool and kept the car straight and hit the brakes hard. I had it almost stopped and only went off by about 10 feet! I caught back up and passed him a few laps later. After the session he wondered where I went for a couple of laps and he didn't see me go off the track. Nobody else saw it either so I wanted to preserve it on video. Sometimes it's too easy to delete stuff with a touch screen. I'll be searching for a trash bin app tonight. :mad:

I almost spun it a couple of times in turn 10, fast, but the nanny saved my butt.

500px-Miller_Motorsports_Park_-_East_Course.svg.png

LOL, here is the vid of my first solo session. Put the left side off the track at turn 22. Crank the volume and hear the rocks fly. It is always long looping turns that kick my ass - "fast in sideways out"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ6mUbc_Pmo[/youtube]

Now here is the second part of the first session with Charlie instructing. He was right there telling me things in real time, not talking about the last turn. I need to watch this and the others 1000 times, I can not say enought on how this instruction has helped me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-uWxF4Rca4[/youtube]

Session two solo

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_S5zYFpQbI[/youtube]

Session two with Charlie

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv5X4YiO4oE[/youtube]

TMO Supporting Vendors