The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BOSS Track Attack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14
Re: Track Attack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here, but dog tired...did the 851 mile run from Seattle in a straight shot. Love the UT 80MPH limit; means I was doing a bit faster and averaging 23.0mpg showing 85 at ~2800 in 6th.

Do we want to organize a caravanserai to the Museum for dinner tomorrow? meet at the Comfort in at 5:00, 15 min to meet-n-greet, and then 30 to make the 20 min run from here to the park?

there is another gentleman, not from BMO, at the Comfort Inn with a GHIG 13. and Shock should be here by then.

if the drivers from the further hotels pile up together as they get closer and pull by the Comfort Inn, the 3 of us will pull into line I am sure.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

How close is that to the Hyatt? I didn't drive my boss I'm in a rental but I'm down for meeting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14

Justin said:
How close is that to the Hyatt? I didn't drive my boss I'm in a rental but I'm down for meeting

17.2 mi, 18 min

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Hyatt+Place+Salt+Lake+City+Airport,+52+Tommy+Thompson+Rd,+Salt+Lake+City,+UT+84116/Comfort+Inn+%26+Suites,+8580+North+Highway+36,+Tooele,+Utah+84074/@40.7514749,-112.1280225,11z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m16!4m15!1m5!1m1!1s0x8752f23514048321:0x31da7477b5048527!2m2!1d-112.001786!2d40.77095!1m5!1m1!1s0x8752c049b79d763b:0xd1268470c88c1629!2m2!1d-112.268026!2d40.684867!2m1!6e4!3e0

Justin said:
Hoping the weather turns here by Monday. Cold and wet so far. So much for being a desert state lol

Not all of it is a desert. Those mountains you see have some of the finest skiing anywhere in the world. :)

Justin

Went on a tour of the lake yesterday. Great tour guide came to our hotel and picked us up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Justin

Went to garage on beck restaurant/bar. Very unique place!! I loved it. Then hiked the near by ensign peak. Made for a nice afternoon. Weather is great today

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14

Just finished Day 1, got my Piston Cup, what a blast.

Getting the opportunity to lap full out is guaranteed to put a SE grin on your face. The technical aspects of the heel-toe instruction and the skid-car were a great learning experience for me, putting all of that with wide open track time is too cool.

OMG, the hot-lap with the instructors...they easily put 20MPH on us on each corner. Now I know what the car can do, but wow I am unlikely to get there without a hecka-lot of track time.

On to Day 2.

Seriously, any one who has the opportunity to sign up still; it is so worth it.

PS I can validate Justin's comments on The Garage as the outside area is just great, can also recommend Lucky 13 for a great burger. And Justin is a hecka nice guy, glad I met him and his SO Jessica.

Justin

PhilTaylor said:
Just finished Day 1, got my Piston Cup, what a blast.

Getting the opportunity to lap full out is guaranteed to put a SE grin on your face. The technical aspects of the heel-toe instruction and the skid-car were a great learning experience for me, putting all of that with wide open track time is too cool.

OMG, the hot-lap with the instructors...they easily put 20MPH on us on each corner. Now I know what the car can do, but wow I am unlikely to get there without a hecka-lot of track time.

On to Day 2.

Seriously, any one who has the opportunity to sign up still; it is so worth it.

PS I can validate Justin's comments on The Garage as the outside area is just great, can also recommend Lucky 13 for a great burger. And Justin is a hecka nice guy, glad I met him and his SO Jessica.
+1 on the instructor hot laps. That was crazy fast. That was worth the trip alone. Scared the crap out of Jess.

It was great meeting you Phil and your friend. You will have to pm me you address I'll send you one of my coins

Had a great time at BTA once again.. Glad I got to meet a few of u and run some laps with y'all. Enjoy your bosses and get them out on the road courses/tracks near where you live!!

Luke

Looks like we may be purchasing one of the FR500S's beginning of July and dropping a Boss302 crate engine in it!!

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14

Luke, it was great meeting you too.

Time for a more complete post and review of the experience.

Day 1 and the driving the Boss was great.

Before you get on the track, there is classroom time, 2 exercises ( heel and toe, skid-pad ), walking the two most challenging sections of the course, a couple laps in the car with the instructor, then a lead and follow session, then a solo. Then there is the afternoon. Its a full day. Getting familiar with the Boss on the track before I take my Boss on Pacific Raceway in Kent in July gives me some confidence. The swag from Day 1 included the "Piston Cup" ( a plaque with a real Boss 302 piston attached ), a certificate, your free driving gloves, a USB stick with a ton of photos, a calendar, and a shirt. No swag for guests on Day 1.

On to Day 2.

Day 2 was a chance to experience a different car...the FR500S...a purpose-built not street legal race car for the Mustang Challenge Cup series...sort of Grand-Am "lite". Its a 2006 Mustang GT with upgraded engine at 350 hp (stock is 300), Tremec rear-end, clutch upgrade, racing coil-over suspension, 2-piece floating rotor brake upgrade, DOT racing slicks, 300 lbs weight reduction, single driver seat, full roll cage, instrumentation, and fire suppression. The suspension and tires mean a ton of grip at the edge, the suspension means it corners a bit above the Boss, the weight reduction and engine mods mean its very quick, and the brakes work wonders and for repeated extremely hard use without fade.

Its nothing like my 2006 GT daily driver, LOL, nothing. Totally different car, total blast.

The 2nd day starts on the track so there is double the track time. If we got 90 minutes of solo track time Day 1, we got more like 180 minutes Day 2. And a 20-30 minute track session is more tiring than you think. It is physical work to control the car but it is also a lot of mental work, concentration, and putting all the elements of race driving together. 3 hours is a lot. We had 3 morning and 3 afternoon sessions and came in for a debrief after every session which was very helpful.

Another detail. Day 1 you are on the East track, its way more technical and a bit slower. 2.2 miles with 12 corners and 2 straights. Day 2 is the West track its also 2.2 miles but only 10 turns and thus is faster and a bit more fun.

Overall a great time, highly recommended. The instructors were top notch, the facility was great, the cars are amazingly maintained and a ton of fun.

The swag from Day 2 included a plaque for completion of the 2-Day School, a 2-Day High Performance Driving School certificate, and a T-shirt for the Boss Owners. The guest drivers get the plaque, certificate, and T-shirt plus the swag bag Boss Owners get except no "Piston Cup" and no free racing gloves. Guests did not get anything after Day 1, so it was cool to see my buddy Jon Park get his swag.

Thanks Ford for such a great Boss Owners Experience.

Note Miller Motorsports Park is selling their Racing GTs (15,000 ) and their FR500Ss (29,000) soon, something to think about...

Heard the GT and FR school cars were going to be sold this year.... good to know for sure, thanks. The FR'd make a perfect platform for a FRPP 5.0 Aluminator crate motor swap. Verrrrry tempting...!

dabossinne said:
Heard the GT and FR school cars were going to be sold this year.... good to know for sure, thanks. The FR'd make a perfect platform for a FRPP 5.0 Aluminator crate motor swap. Verrrrry tempting...!
I was parked next to a FR500S this past weekend and the same thought kept running through my head. ;D

dabossinne said:

Do we know what will become of the track attack bosses? I would be interested for the right price.

The Track Attack Bosses will be converted to BOSS 302R's to replace the FR500s.. Anxious to see how they turn out. Parts have already been purchased and stock piled to start the process once the last Boss Track Attack is over.

dabossinne said:

our thoughts exactly.. we put our name on the list for one... but will more than likely drop in the 5.0L coyote motor at 420 hp and a tune.. should be more than enough in this lightweight racer for ST2 competition!!

So after an incredibly difficult time getting dates to sync with my work schedule, i have finally locked in for the final days of instruction in October. So very excited! Thanks to everyone for the descriptions and feedback!!

I will let everyone know how it goes!

Flight96

69 Mustang Vert Restomod BOSS 351 & 2013 BOSS 302

PhilTaylor said:
Luke, it was great meeting you too.

Time for a more complete post and review of the experience.

Day 1 and the driving the Boss was great.

Before you get on the track, there is classroom time, 2 exercises ( heel and toe, skid-pad ), walking the two most challenging sections of the course, a couple laps in the car with the instructor, then a lead and follow session, then a solo. Then there is the afternoon. Its a full day. Getting familiar with the Boss on the track before I take my Boss on Pacific Raceway in Kent in July gives me some confidence. The swag from Day 1 included the "Piston Cup" ( a plaque with a real Boss 302 piston attached ), a certificate, your free driving gloves, a USB stick with a ton of photos, a calendar, and a shirt. No swag for guests on Day 1.

On to Day 2.

Day 2 was a chance to experience a different car...the FR500S...a purpose-built not street legal race car for the Mustang Challenge Cup series...sort of Grand-Am "lite". Its a 2006 Mustang GT with upgraded engine at 350 hp (stock is 300), Tremec rear-end, clutch upgrade, racing coil-over suspension, 2-piece floating rotor brake upgrade, DOT racing slicks, 300 lbs weight reduction, single driver seat, full roll cage, instrumentation, and fire suppression. The suspension and tires mean a ton of grip at the edge, the suspension means it corners a bit above the Boss, the weight reduction and engine mods mean its very quick, and the brakes work wonders and for repeated extremely hard use without fade.

Its nothing like my 2006 GT daily driver, LOL, nothing. Totally different car, total blast.

The 2nd day starts on the track so there is double the track time. If we got 90 minutes of solo track time Day 1, we got more like 180 minutes Day 2. And a 20-30 minute track session is more tiring than you think. It is physical work to control the car but it is also a lot of mental work, concentration, and putting all the elements of race driving together. 3 hours is a lot. We had 3 morning and 3 afternoon sessions and came in for a debrief after every session which was very helpful.

Another detail. Day 1 you are on the East track, its way more technical and a bit slower. 2.2 miles with 12 corners and 2 straights. Day 2 is the West track its also 2.2 miles but only 10 turns and thus is faster and a bit more fun.

Overall a great time, highly recommended. The instructors were top notch, the facility was great, the cars are amazingly maintained and a ton of fun.

The swag from Day 2 included a plaque for completion of the 2-Day School, a 2-Day High Performance Driving School certificate, and a T-shirt for the Boss Owners. The guest drivers get the plaque, certificate, and T-shirt plus the swag bag Boss Owners get except no "Piston Cup" and no free racing gloves. Guests did not get anything after Day 1, so it was cool to see my buddy Jon Park get his swag.

Thanks Ford for such a great Boss Owners Experience.

Note Miller Motorsports Park is selling their Racing GTs (15,000 ) and their FR500Ss (29,000) soon, something to think about...

I gotta stop reading all these posts. You all are making me sooooo jelous !! Thanks to Ford Canada for SFA !! :mad: :mad: :mad:

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

stunya said:
So after an incredibly difficult time getting dates to sync with my work schedule, i have finally locked in for the final days of instruction in October. So very excited! Thanks to everyone for the descriptions and feedback!!

I will let everyone know how it goes!

Good luck, have fun and Enjoy the Ride!

TMO Supporting Vendors