The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BOSS Track Attack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Track Attack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeepinocala said:
No I have control just would rather it be more competitive type of day so what your telling me is you can go out there but you dont get to run these cars wide open? just want to clear all this up before wasting money on a trip to drive around whithout being able to see the absolute full potential of these cars so far from the videos I have not see any of them hit a rev limiter so I figure maybe they are restricted? Maybe someone that has gone can answer this for me.

I just returned from Track Attack and had a great time. I would recommend everyone should attend. (I Go Pro'd my last session and will up load it soon).

The morning is spent on some instruction, questions, skid pad, drills, on the track and going over the lines (good lines, bad lines and why). During some of the follow sessions the idea is to learn the braking points, apex, turn and acceleration points. You are learning this track and how to apply that to all tracks (and it all gets clearer in the afternoon when you pick up the speed).

In the afternoon sessions you are out on the track. You are asked to spread out, watch for the other drivers - but basically are free to go as fast as you want. They want to see you using the right lines, braking points, apex etc. The early afternoon session if you catch the person in front of you let them go, by either pulling off or slow down and let them pull back ahead. It is instruction, so you can pull off and talk to the instructors ask a question or what ever and pull back on at a safe time - the idea is to learn and let other people learn. The later afternoon sessions again you can run them as hard as you want and/or are capable of and can pass on the front straight with a wave by the driver (they will know you are going to pass). It is basically a 3rd/4th track - you can hit the limiter all you want but if you do you aren't going as fast as you should. All my class was competitive, so keep in mind someone may be coming up to pass you!

The day ended with a few laps with instructors driving the cars HARD (with you in the car). So if you can drive these cars faster than them and can't learn anything from them, quit your day job and turn pro.

I tried all last week to set this up for next May. First I called MMP and the guy I got asked who sent out the email with the 2012 dates. I told him Bill Rhinehart. He told me to schedule through Bill Rhinehart. I sent emails and left voicemails for Bill over several days and got no response. Finally on Friday I called MMP again and asked if someone else could help me.

I got a guy by the name of Don Short who said he'd fix me up. He also said he thought the reason Bill Rhinehart didn't get back to me was they were trying to book folks who wanted to pay for an extra day ($995) first, and those of us who only wanted the two day deal that Ford was paying for had to take a back seat. Not appreciated. Then, Don went on a sales pitch to get me to buy the second day. At this point I'm not feeling any love as a Boss owner from MMP. When I finally convinced him I didn't want to spend $995 for the second track day he said ok and took my information and credit card # for the extra guest charge and the $50 damage waiver. He said I'd get an email with confirmation of my reservation. Its the end of the day now on Wednesday and I've got squat.

I'm glad you guys are having a good experience with this so far. I have to say I'm disappointed in how this free benefit has been handled for me personally so far. Don't get it. Hopefully it will all work out.

I've been trying to book May 3 & 4.

jimprw said:
I got a guy by the name of Don Short who said he'd fix me up. He also said he thought the reason Bill Rhinehart didn't get back to me was they were trying to book folks who wanted to pay for an extra day ($995) first, and those of us who only wanted the two day deal that Ford was paying for had to take a back seat. Not appreciated. Then, Don went on a sales pitch to get me to buy the second day. At this point I'm not feeling any love as a Boss owner from MMP. When I finally convinced him I didn't want to spend $995 for the second track day he said ok and took my information and credit card # for the extra guest charge and the $50 damage waiver. He said I'd get an email with confirmation of my reservation. Its the end of the day now on Wednesday and I've got squat.

I'm glad you guys are having a good experience with this so far. I have to say I'm disappointed in how this free benefit has been handled for me personally so far. Don't get it. Hopefully it will all work out.
A guy local to me told me an amlost identical story over the weekend regarding the upsell part. Ford please take note.

GA

5 DOT 0 said:
jimprw said:

A guy local to me told me an amlost identical story over the weekend regarding the upsell part. Ford please take note.

It is worth a call to Ford Performance Group and FMC CS to complain. These are practices that normally develop when it is left up to guys who work on commission. I'm sure this program is a big opportunity.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.

boss1648 said:
I have Comp O w/Torsen/Recaro/Mats/Cover. I had a 2 '11 5.0s a 3.55 and 3.73 both 6m. This pony sure is a horse of a different color! ;D I'll get off my lazy A and get some pics up one day but so many have done it for me already! ;)

@ArizonaGT I have some friends in Tuscon and Pearce. I'm thinking about road tripping the Boss they would love to see it. Maybe I can get the May 15 class. I'm from Jacksonville FL. We'll see what happens.

Augie

Where in Jax are you from? I have #686 down near Mandarin.

I was thinking of just doing the Richard petty expeirence at daytona speedway instead Ive raced most of my life started with carts went to stock cars so I am kinda worried that it may be boreing for me.

GA

jeepinocala said:
I was thinking of just doing the Richard petty expeirence at daytona speedway instead Ive raced most of my life started with carts went to stock cars so I am kinda worried that it may be boreing for me.

Yes, because going round and round making left turns is so much more exciting than a road course like MMP... :p ;)

Boss Bry @ MMP

It's not a Boss but you gotta love it...

PJWANNABE said:
It is worth a call to Ford Performance Group and FMC CS to complain. These are practices that normally develop when it is left up to guys who work on commission. I'm sure this program is a big opportunity.

I wish it were this simple guys. Its considerably more complicated than that. We have 2-day people, 1-day people and guests of each. Boss cars, GT cars and FR500S models. Fitting them into the puzzle that is the BTA calendar is quite a balancing act...especially when a few hundred of you are told the same day it's time to decide when to arrive. Most have seen the visual of assembling many items into a given container by putting in the largest ones first, smaller ones second and water third...suddenly more seems to fit than could possibly be expected when looking at the items individually. BTA is similar.

Two day people are always scheduled the first two days of BTA; some one day guys requested these dates and most are moved to the third day of any given program. This allows all 2-day groups to stay together, and allows one-day groups to as well. It's not a matter of importance...it's a matter of ease. Frankly we couldn't do this program without one-day people...they fill all the holes. Nor is it a matter of money...a one day guy with a buddy spends almost the same as the two-day guy that comes alone. The person who actually puts the calendar together never sees how much anyone spends on BTA...and couldn't care less. Her only concern is getting the most people their preferred date as possible.

We have another issue with all our Ford schools, Boss included...guys arrive and suddenly wish they had their second day and wonder how they can get one. Or they order a GT and decide the FR500S is worth the difference. Well, they can't upgrade at that point...and they leave disappointed. The shop can only prep what we schedule, they don't have the luxury of having every car ready all the time. Day one is a ton of fun, and for those who can't spend the additional time or cash an incredible value. It doesn't make you a second class Boss citizen.

Do the guys get paid on commission? Yup...when you see the team at SEMA, Barrett-Jackson, Sturgis, Steamboat and the Shelby Convention (among others) you are looking at volunteers. We make nothing to travel around the country and give free rides to Ford lovers...nothing unless someone decides to come to a school. Those who operate their own business or work on commission know how this is, those who trade time for dollars may struggle more with it. No offense intended, and sorry to those who feel it was too much pressure. If there is a chance of offending someone I'll risk the front side rather than see them wish for more at the event and leave unhappy.

Frankly I'm very pleased by our results from the second wave. The vast majority of my guys got their primary choice in dates, and the ratio of 2-day to 1-day seems to be about right to properly fill in the calendar. I'll be stunned in there are any dates left following Christmas. I feel for those who are too busy to respond...there will be few dates to choose from for many and none for the slowest of them.

ufnavy06 said:
boss1648 said:
I have Comp O w/Torsen/Recaro/Mats/Cover. I had a 2 '11 5.0s a 3.55 and 3.73 both 6m. This pony sure is a horse of a different color! ;D I'll get off my lazy A and get some pics up one day but so many have done it for me already! ;)

@ArizonaGT I have some friends in Tuscon and Pearce. I'm thinking about road tripping the Boss they would love to see it. Maybe I can get the May 15 class. I'm from Jacksonville FL. We'll see what happens.

Augie

Where in Jax are you from? I have #686 down near Mandarin.
Cool! I'm on the westside are you in the Navy? I'm retired Navy I still work on base.

Well put Bry!

Guys, Bryan is a car guy first who happens to be in sales. DO NOT picture a sleazy telemarketer type who's in it for the commission. Bry will kick the crap out of anyone in a round of Ford Racing trivia! He has a passion for Ultra High Performance Fords that runs deep and wide. MMP has a great resource in him. I know because I have met him and picked his brain, just not through his nose. ;)

Boss Bry @ MMP

jeepinocala said:

jeepinocala already chided you a bit on this, but I'll go one further. I want to say it was Stirling Moss (history geeks...please correct me if I'm mistaken) who said in effect, "The first automotive contest that gets boring is the drag race". I love to watch the drags, but as a competitor I can see his point. The next would be the series of lefts, no matter how much fun and exhilarating it is. When you get to roadracing a whole new world opens up...every corner is different and the whole left-right-left thing really alters the dynamic...ask anyone who has driven through "The Attitudes". The last one isn't named "Bad Attitude" by accident.

To me this goes one step deeper...Baja. All the dynamics of a road race but there are no pits nearby, no crew, little visibility often times and a track that isn't just treacherous and ever changing but often times booby trapped. Most Ford guys love Peter Brock, designer of the Daytona Cobra Coupe. I have had the pleasure of spending a little time with him and was surprised to learn Baja is his favorite race...until I got there myself. Now I get it.

Or in short form just come...you won't regret it. ;)

Boss Bry @ MMP

PJWANNABE said:
Bryan, what you said makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

You're welcome...and there is one other thing I must not have made clear in my emails, so I'll toss it out here before I head towards Monterey today. The objective is to get you on the calendar ASAP...if we get you the date(s) you need when you want them you are most happy. The system doesn't automatically confirm the date, so I ask for those who have been to contact me by phone at their leisure. Once we connect I can confirm their dates prior to getting their CC info. It's not perfect but it works well... as I said the vast majority of you got your requested dates despite the enormous influx of requests at once. Thanks again for your patience!

Boss Bry @ MMP

Fat Boss said:
Well put Bry!

Guys, Bryan is a car guy first who happens to be in sales. DO NOT picture a sleazy telemarketer type who's in it for the commission. Bry will kick the crap out of anyone in a round of Ford Racing trivia! He has a passion for Ultra High Performance Fords that runs deep and wide. MMP has a great resource in him. I know because I have met him and picked his brain, just not through his nose. ;)

Thanks man...but you did try the nose first. Just sayin'.

I think part of the frustration and the disconnect is here - in the email that went out for 2012 dates:

The dates were listed on the Track Attack site on 10/4 for 2012. I received an email from Dan Short (as I'm sure others did too) on the afternoon of 10/3 notifying me that the dates were going to be posted the next day and I could respond to his email with my choices and my car info. In the email the dates are listed like this with a note at the top -

"
Note – Each Boss Track Attack includes a Welcome Reception Dinner on the first date and the on-track and classroom sessions on the second date of the two-date set listed below:

April 9th and 10th
April 10th and 11th
April 16th and 17th
April 17th and 18th
etc...
"

It asks that you provide two date choices. It also goes on to explain that if you are intending to do a 1 day session, it is best to choose a date combo that falls toward the end of a week instead of the beginning to help accommodate the 2 day campers. There was nothing in the email to direct you to indicate whether you were a 1 day camper or a 2 day camper - which leaves the assumption for the consumers that this email is geared towards 1 day campers. (ie: banquet on first day listed, driving on second day listed)

Given that and what the "Note" says, I sent in on the morning of 10/4 requesting 4/10 and 4/11, and 4/17 and 4/18 as my second choice. As the note reads, this would mean that my reception dinner would be on the 10th with my driving day on the 11th, or banquet on 4/17 and driving day on 4/18.

A few days later I received an email back from Dan saying I was confirmed and my reception dinner was on 4/8 and I would be in the 4/9 and 4/10 session. I immediately called him to ask why I wasn't given one of the date sets I requested (4/10&11 or 4/17&18). He said they couldn't accommodate me as a 2 day camper on those days. Problem is, I didn't say anything in my email about being a 2 day camper - it was just assumed by MMP. I explained to him that the email clearly states that when you choose your dates, the first date listed is the reception and the second date listed is the driving day.

He told me they had some snafus with the email that went out. So, once I made it clear that I am a 1 day camper and I intentionally tried to pick days toward the end of the week to follow the instructions in the email to pick late in the week as a 1 day camper, he said he would resubmit my request.

This has been a bit frustrating as the information in the email is very clear, but according to Dan, incorrect and insufficient. I tried to sign up on the morning of the first day that the dates were listed to ensure a spot and now over a week later, I am still not confirmed for anything, and beginning to worry that this mishandling/misinformation is possibly going to cost me a chance to go, or a chance to go during the times that work for me and that I communicated on the first day of sign up - I'm sure these slots are filling up quickly.

With all that said - the email has caused confusion, and because of the load these guys have they are a bit slow in getting back to us - totally understandable. I have been on the phone with Dan to work things out the last couple of days and I hope to get this concluded today on the phone and get a date finalized. Dan is a super nice guy, and I think working hard for us on this - I just think the emails probably need to be scrutinized a bit more before they go out to ensure things are clear on 1 day vs. 2 day, etc etc. and what is expected from the customer when sending in information.

I'm sure it will all work out, and I am anxious to go have some fun at Track Attack! :)

Sorry, guys. I'm always one to give someone the benefit of a doubt; and, I'm not unreasonable or stuck-up demanding in general. No one's perfect. But I'm still not buying it...you send out dates and tell folks to call/write in with reservations as soon as possible. I do that and get nothing back after several attempts for over a week. Then when I get someone who says they'll set me up and it is almost another week with no confirmation no nothing? That is just poor business in my book. If I did something like that in my job I'd be on the street.

This isn't rocket science, folks. Send out dates. Call and request dates. Check calendar and book if there are available spots on the requested date. Suggest alternate dates if requested date is booked. Book for the nice man who spent over $40K for his toy. There you go. :-\

One of the problems with the schedule is that there are three people submitting dates to one person that schedules it, so when one guy takes your request there could also be two other guys putting in requests for the same date and they all have to wait for the one person to confirm or deny your request. This is what I was told by one of the three taking date requests.
Of course this does not excuse not getting back to someone in a timely manner.

Boss Bry @ MMP

orng302 said:
One of the problems with the schedule is that there are three people submitting dates to one person that schedules it, so when one guy takes your request there could also be two other guys putting in requests for the same date and they all have to wait for the one person to confirm or deny your request. This is what I was told by one of the three taking date requests.
Of course this does not excuse not getting back to someone in a timely manner.

With people complaining about how long the process takes with 3 guys working through it imagine the wait if only one were involved. In my case I have sent emails to everyone processed onto the calendar stating "Call me for your dates and have your payment info"...I sent this twice, the second with deadline of my departure for the trip I'm on. Guess when the emails and calls came in the most? The moment I departed. I was reasonably timely, many I'm working for were not. But I'm not angry with them.

I have to think those who needed to know were the most responsive and reached me early. With the earliest dates a full half year away I guess others are more patient...besides, they haven't had to pay yet. Some probably like that. Either way they will have their dates and MMP it's payment sooner than later.

Bottom line is there will always be those who aren't 100% impressed. I take note of their concerns and try to adopt better practices. I've made clear what I do and why it works, and peers among this and the other Boss site have praised the efforts I make. I sleep rather well knowing the effort I make to get my people what they want from their BTA experience.

If you have major issues with me there is a P/M button, and everyone has my cell. If you have issues with another sales guy call him. I'm juggling well over a hundred BTA applicants, and 150 other clients...BTA is one of half a dozen programs at MMP. Your sales guy is busy, and he's working serious overtime, no matter who he is. I'll add it's a lot easier to attract flies with honey than vinegar...

;)

TMO Supporting Vendors