The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss Transmission/Clutch Issues Poll Discussion Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Boss Transmission Issues Poll Discussion Thread

Just a couple of drops under mine with only 1470 miles on it, 2012 model. Just started, looks like its coming from bolt area, had a couple tightened, helped but not stopped, any ideas??? Have not changed fluid, shifts ok. I do not track car.

Make an appointment with your dealer and have them check it out.

To summarize with 103 voters to date:

61% have experienced shifting lock-out
39% have experienced grinding when shifting
27% have had their clutch stick at least partially
21% have not had any shifting issues
32% have not had any clutch issues
15% have documented the above issues with their dealer

While this poll is far from scientific I believe it does show there are systemic issues with the clutch and transmission. If we ever hope to have Ford look into these issues we need more of you to document the issues with your respective dealers.

Have you experienced shifting lock out upshifting in any gear? - 63 (21.9%)
Have you experienced any shifting lock out downshifting in any gear? - 20 (6.9%)
Have you experienced any grinding when shifting the car cold? - 40 (13.9%)
Have you experienced any grinding when shifting the car hot? - 25 (8.7%)
Have you experienced the clutch pedal partially sticking while shifting above 6,500 RPM's? - 28 (9.7%)
Have you experienced the clutch pedal sticking to the floor while shifting above 6,500 RPM's? - 14 (4.9%)
Have you experienced any of the above while using TracKeY? - 28 (9.7%)
I have not had any shifting issues. - 22 (7.6%)
I have not had any clutch issues. - 33 (11.5%)
Have you documented any above issues with your dealer? - 15 (5.2%)
Total Voters: 103

About 100 miles into driving, I hit some stop and go traffic. It was in 1st moving forward, I put in the clutch, and the stick pretty violently kicked down and up (towards neutral and back to 1st) about 10 times while grinding loud, then it settled back into 1st. This all with the clutch to the floor. This was a new one for me. My GF was with me so I know I didn't imagine or exaggerate it, the sound was loud enough it woke her up and scared her.

CaliMR said:
About 100 miles into driving, I hit some stop and go traffic. It was in 1st moving forward, I put in the clutch, and the stick pretty violently kicked down and up (towards neutral and back to 1st) about 10 times while grinding loud, then it settled back into 1st. This all with the clutch to the floor. This was a new one for me. My GF was with me so I know I didn't imagine or exaggerate it, the sound was loud enough it woke her up and scared her.

Just get it to your dealer before it is wasted. That sounds pretty bad make damn sure you tell your dealer this is a saftey issue. It will get fixed then.

I doubt it. They flat out refuse to do anything with the tranny unless it happens while their tech is driving. Which is understandable up to a point.

It was about 1/10 when new, now it is 1/50 at most as far as 1st gear issues. 3rd is only bad when the tranny is hot, and they can't really run it hard in town. My GF drove the car today and it completely refused to let her into 2nd for a while, on TK so not the skip shift. I've left it overnight a couple times asking them to do a thorough test drive and last time I recorded the mileage and they only did about a mile. The clutch stuck to floor is also only when it is pretty hot, and they claim the grinding is normal even when warmed up.

Other than the 2nd issue and a couple times it ground coming out of gear while I was driving, it was good today. Hit 4k miles so it should be broken in.

I dropped off my Boss at my local dealer yesterday to check into my shifting lock out and clutch sticking to the floor along with CEL's and limp mode.

Ford instructed them to remove my transmission and clutch today although they weren't clear what they were going to do other than inspect the clutch. I was surprised they pulled it so quickly since this is only the second time I've complained about it but they've know about it since last Summer. Anyway it will be interesting to see if all they do is replace parts with existing parts or if there are new updated parts that fix this issue. Ford has to know this is an issue by now. Anyway I'll update this thread as information comes my way.

Ok well you have read mine was fixed and it has been super great well in the last week it has gone down hill took it in to find now it is leaking fluid out of the over flow tube. Pissing me off.

CaliMR- It sounds that you are completely unhappy with the vehicle, and that apparently wherever you live they refuse to listen to you. Sounds like you need to just move on to another vehicle.

No, I love the car. I just want it to work right. At this point, it is mostly the tranny that is an issue but I'm hoping with enough people having issues they will come out with a fix. The oil consumption has leveled off for the most part, and they did finally fix the brakes.

I 100% now believe the only fix is to replace all of the transmissions and clutch systems in the first and second build Bosses. This is turning into a nightmare and this car has had more problems so far then any other car I owned. Ford wake the F up before you loose alot of customers. I was just about to trade in my wifes truck for a new one it's two years old now there is no way I will get another ford until they make my Boss correct. How many people are having transmission issues?

My car is at Midway Ford in Miami for this issue. I received a call from the technician this afternoon who advised that the rep stated that the problem is the pressure plate and they are recommending to change the clutch assembly. He stated that he has that in writing from Ford and will forward that to me.
I too asked if they are going to put the same parts in there or are they upgrading it. He did not have an answer as of yet.
I will update as I know anything further. I am happy to hear that they at least acknowledged my issue Also, they must know now because they never even drove the car to attempt to duplicate my issues.

I got my Boss back from my dealer yesterday. They removed the trans and inspected the clutch and looked carefully at the fingers on the pressure plate. Every thing was in order so they reassembled it and replaced nothing. :mad: So I fully expect to have the clutch to the floor and shifting lock out my next track day. Oh well at least it's documented, again, and Ford has one more data point to look at. BTW per Fastduo's comment my dealer did test drive my car but could not replicate my issues. Ford still told them to pull my tranny and check the clutch.

Maybe one of the guys who tracks the Boss can put a camera in the footwell like they do in the rally cars, and document it sticking. I might try tracking mine again, but it is hard to justify getting 2 sessions in when I can take my E30 and run the whole weekend.

Ok guy's I have been through the ringer with my transmission to a point of I should be recieveing the gopro hd hero2 I ordered just for these reasons ;D I am going to try and set it up in my car to show the clutch and shifter and even hope to get the tach and speedometer in it. Next time I go into my dealer with a problem they are going to hate that day.

The only time I have experienced a weird clutch feel is after high rpm and then hard on braking. I'm thinking the shared reservoir has something going on that isn't good. The clutch seems to fall to the floor or at least be hanging towards the bottom. I have never had it stick, but it is kinda of like the clutch was partially sucking the peddle down, like it was creating a suction on the hydaulic line. It never sticks, but is just kinda of floating. It is only momentary and then comes back. This has only happend twice and both right after high RPM and then heavy braking. The RPM might be a total coincidence, as I think is more due to the heavy braking, but not sure.

wwilde001 said:
The only time I have experienced a weird clutch feel is after high rpm and then hard on braking. I'm thinking the shared reservoir has something going on that isn't good. The clutch seems to fall to the floor or at least be hanging towards the bottom. I have never had it stick, but it is kinda of like the clutch was partially sucking the peddle down, like it was creating a suction on the hydaulic line. It never sticks, but is just kinda of floating. It is only momentary and then comes back. This has only happend twice and both right after high RPM and then heavy braking. The RPM might be a total coincidence, as I think is more due to the heavy braking, but not sure.
Are you hard braking on the street? If so I doubt that's generating enough heat in the system to cause problems. You're describing the typical problem with high revs.

Mine is back and seems to be the best it ever has been? Kinda weird cause I thought it was great the last time now I feel as if anyone could get in the car and enjoy a great ride. I am just very glad it is back and working correctly but from my expeirence these transmissions should have the sinkros replaced if any issue at all come up. All of my issues seem to be gone.

TMO Supporting Vendors